Cutting the Cable 2018-19 edition

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Hi all, anyone interested in watching the bruins legally this year but without cable can post here

I used ps 4 vue last year and was considering trying YouTube tv if it carries the correct channels this time around (I’m near springfield)

Pros-

cheaper than cable and just as if not more reliable

Can DVR as many shows at one time as you’d like

Will DVR shows even when your power / internet goes out

Cons

Bruins games shown on your local NBC channel may not be available as I found out the hard way last year (right during the playoffs too of all times)

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
We are about to turn FuboTV (45$) back on for the season. It’s almost all sports and does force other tv packages (sling) to get kids/wife what they want.

What does YT TV run w Nesn?

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
can you run youtube tv through smart tvs or theps4 yet? or is it still through chromecast??

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I've used PSvue for a few years now and don't really have any complaints. Although a few times my location has changed from Connecticut to Oregon, but besides that I've had no issues.

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
A question regarding NHL TV. Will it work internationally? ie will it work for me here in Ireland? And if it does will it allow me access to all the Bruins games or does it only stream select games?

I know most of you won't know the answer to this but if there is anyone in the know I'd greatly appreciate any info.

tkddad

Jan 8, 2009
Waterloo
A question regarding NHL TV. Will it work internationally? ie will it work for me here in Ireland? And if it does will it allow me access to all the Bruins games or does it only stream select games?

I know most of you won't know the answer to this but if there is anyone in the know I'd greatly appreciate any info.

Don't know about Ireland but I was able to watch a few games when I was vacationing in Beijing a couple years ago.

Reactions: IrishBruinsFan

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I just tried this with YoutubeTV ($40).

YoutubeTV offers NESN and has some really great features, but I just can't go back to watching commercials and it forces you to sit through commercials. If you want to fast forward to a particular play, you have to watch the pre-video commercial and then at least another commercial if the play is on the other side of one of the yellow ticks on the timeline (indicating a commercial). So if you want to see a 10 second play, you have to sit through multiple commercials! If you watch the game on "DVR" again, you are forced to watch commercials.

At the end of the day, Cable with NESN and NHL Network (no NHLN on Youtube) costs $42 so I went back to cable.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I just tried this with YoutubeTV ($40).

YoutubeTV offers NESN and has some really great features, but I just can't go back to watching commercials and it forces you to sit through commercials. If you want to fast forward to a particular play, you have to watch the pre-video commercial and then at least another commercial if the play is on the other side of one of the yellow ticks on the timeline (indicating a commercial). So if you want to see a 10 second play, you have to sit through multiple commercials! If you watch the game on "DVR" again, you are forced to watch commercials.

At the end of the day, Cable with NESN and NHL Network (no NHLN on Youtube) costs $42 so I went back to cable.

If only everyone got those rates! Who’s your provider?

Reactions: HustleB

Babajingo

I have YT TV through Roku. You get NESN and the NBCSN games. I don't remember getting NESN+ (for those few games where there's a conflict).
DVR is kind of funky. If you want to DVR a certain show, for stupid sake let's say Charlie Moore. It will record every instance of the show.
Now lets say you want to delete an episode you just watched, it will actually delete all of the recorded instances of the show. It's weird and I don't know why
they don't make that simpler.
Beauty of YT TV is the mobility. You can watch it on anything (tv, tablet, phone, pc, ...).
Downside is that if you have an older smart tv, there isn't an app for it. That's why I got the Roku (which works fine).

Reactions: HustleB

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Exactly.

I have Charter-Spectrum, NESN is not part of the basic package and you have to pay an additional $10 a month to get the sports package NHLN is part of.

I’m paying a ridiculous $210 right now not cable, internet, phone.

Same in Dirty Jerz….plus I get NHL Center Ice, have Netlix and Hulu, and watching about 4-5 movies a month OnDemand.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I f***ing hate cable. It's a total racket.

I pay $155/mo for cable, internet, and a phone I don't u. Down from $185.

I changed my cable package to lower my bill about a year ago. They looked at my viewing history, and assured me that I wouldn't be losing anything that I watched with any sort of regularity. Joke was on me though, as I lost probably a third of the channels I actually watched, all the save $30.

Really don't have it in me to fight with them on the phone for 2+ hours again.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
I hate the cable/internet monopolies too. What I found out is that it all revolves around cheap internet. You can drop your cable TV/satellite/phone etc. and stream just what you want, but if you have to pay $80/mth just for fast internet service alone it's not that cheap anymore.

iowabruin

Oct 24, 2017
Iowa
I have NHL.TV, it wasn't too bad. I could watch most of the Bruins games or any other team I was out of the market for. For games that were on NBCSN or when they played the Wild and Blues (Fox Sports North and Midwest), I was using PSVue. But I have canceled that, and I might go with Hulu or Directv Now.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
My cable, internet and phone were at 270. I dropped cable and the phone. I added YouTube TV. It saves us 130$ per month. It has been awesome.

Despite how much I love it, there are concerns. Nhln is not available. My wife's favorite shows are not available; DIY, HGTV and others. When we started we used Fubo which had my wife's tv channels. Fubo unfortunately has nothing for kids.

In order to switch to internet tv you have to have a great wifi signal. As much as I hated what Comcast charges, I could not have this setup without their internet. We get blast tier which means I can get 150 mbps from anywhere in my house. Still even with great service there are occasional glitches and pausing and this happens more often during football which concerns me.

All in all I am super happy. If we hit the megabucks we would go back to cable. As long as we are working class internet tv will be what we use in the future.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
We've had YoutubeTV for the past couple of months, but we've found that we can't get NESN because we're out of their market. So I think we're going to add NHL Center Ice so we can watch hockey. We don't watch much TV beyond that, so that should be enough for us.

MetM

Nov 29, 2009
I got internet 45$/month , Netflix 13$/month , OTA Antenna, and NHL TV. (120$/year = 10$/month. ) I travel "out of the market" before each game to make sure NHL TV won't be blacked out for about 10$/month. (Yeah I travel for cheap..) So that's a toal of 78$/month if you count internet which most people would pay for anyways. I have all my Bruins games and some good movies/series.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
I got internet 45$/month , Netflix 13$/month , OTA Antenna, and NHL TV. (120$/year = 10$/month. ) I travel "out of the market" before each game to make sure NHL TV won't be blacked out for about 10$/month. (Yeah I travel for cheap..) So that's a toal of 78$/month if you count internet which most people would pay for anyways. I have all my Bruins games and some good movies/series.

Sounds good but how about NHL Network? I watch that a lot.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
I have NHL TV. I can't say I love it but it's the best option I've found living outside of New England.

Fortunately my parents have cable and I can stream NBC Sports live so between NHL TV and NBCSN I can see most games. If you dont have a way to watch NBC though I'm not sure if NHL TV is worth it youre going to be blacked out of a LOT of games.

The biggest rip off is the NHL network games. They get blacked out and there's no way to stream them. I dont get why those dont get shown on NHL TV.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
We just cut the cable a couple weeks ago. I already had Netflix & Amazon Prime via Firestick. We got an antenna for local channels and added Sling Blue +Sports so I can get NHL Network.

Got NHL.TV* full package for all games ($139). I’m in Philly market, so I guess Flyers games may be blacked out for me. Hopefully I’ll be attending. Or at a bar.

*Tip: You can get a 10% discount if you pay with Discover.

Silva

Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
i absolutely love YouTube tv. switched over to it a year ago. i have never had to watch commercials when watching bruins game on dvr (or any sports game for that matter). some on demand tv shows require commercials

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

I watched games when I was in Manila 2 years ago so you should be good in Ireland :)

Reactions: IrishBruinsFan

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I pay $182 for my cable and internet through RCN.

I’d cut the cord but I wouldn’t be able to watch the Celtics as NBC Sports Boston isn’t offered by YouTube TV.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad