Cutting the Cable 2018-19 edition

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
i absolutely love YouTube tv. switched over to it a year ago. i have never had to watch commercials when watching bruins game on dvr (or any sports game for that matter). some on demand tv shows require commercials
Really? What the heck was I doing wrong? Everything I watched started with a commercial and they all had those little yellow commercial markers on the timeline so even if I wanted to fast forward it made me watch at least one commercial if I passed any markers.

MrMars

May 26, 2006
I pay $182 for my cable and internet through RCN.

I’d cut the cord but I wouldn’t be able to watch the Celtics as NBC Sports Boston isn’t offered by YouTube TV.

I get NBC Sports Boston on my YouTube TV, pretty sure they carry it.

Reactions: Alicat

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
i absolutely love YouTube tv. switched over to it a year ago. i have never had to watch commercials when watching bruins game on dvr (or any sports game for that matter). some on demand tv shows require commercials

do you have to use a chromecast or can you watch it from the youtube smarttv apps or ps4 app??
Thanks

Silva

Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
do you have to use a chromecast or can you watch it from the youtube smarttv apps or ps4 app??
Thanks

I have some tvs where I use chromecasts and I also have a few android tvs that have the YouTube tv app. I find that the quality is much better and more stable with the chromecast vs the built in app. in fact on one android tv that I use the most I bought a chromecast for it.

playmaker not sure why you are getting commercials for bruins broadcasts. did you set it up to record or are you just watching it on demand? i have it set to record and i dont get the commercials

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
Ill chime in, i actually reverted back to cable.. (cheap 12 month deal if you stay away long enough) . last year i used a VPN , 4 bucks a month, bought nhl center ice package and watched it through my xbox..
pros:
-i started using my headphones and i LOVED it.. you could hear every step of a skate blade.
-never had to worry about setting dvr and games were available as soon as they started
-could watch any other game out there including playoffs
-no sals pizza commercials (serious question though, is it good?)

cons:
-wish they gave you nhl network with center ice
-the fast forward and rewind function was annoying and i missed a lot of the in-between period stuff (did not show nesn's intermission) . i did have the commercial breaks and intermission timing down perfectly by the middle of the season though.
-i had a rough time stopping a game and coming back to it, making me start all over again (and again guessing where it was i left off) and since my internet was based out of denmark.. i always had to fast forward through an extra hour
-internet speed is really high but you would still get the buffering thing once in a while, which was really annoying
-playoffs were only nbc announcers every round. which needless to say i had nightmares of pierre making sweet love to the kunitz line and mike babcock

overall was it cheaper.. .absolutely.. but not that much.. a local cable technician informed me to cut the cord for about 3-6 months and they would basically beg me to come back. which they did and my internet was so expensive that i had to bundle it .. i now pay 112 for high internet speed, cable and two boxes, one being a dvr. honestly the only thing i will miss is not having to remember to set the dvr and headphones.. i cannot stress how much i loved watching the games with headphones on, especially after the family went to bed.

long winded but i put way to much research into it and thought i would share with other people going throught it

Curls13

Sep 15, 2010
Central Mass
For those of you thinking of going the YouTube TV route, if you do run into playback issues, the first thing to do is update your app. The picture quality and channel menu is pretty impressive for $35 a month ( grandfathered in at that price) I like the DVR as well.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Ill chime in, i actually reverted back to cable.. (cheap 12 month deal if you stay away long enough) . last year i used a VPN , 4 bucks a month, bought nhl center ice package and watched it through my xbox..
pros:
-i started using my headphones and i LOVED it.. you could hear every step of a skate blade.
-never had to worry about setting dvr and games were available as soon as they started
-could watch any other game out there including playoffs
-no sals pizza commercials (serious question though, is it good?)

cons:
-wish they gave you nhl network with center ice
-the fast forward and rewind function was annoying and i missed a lot of the in-between period stuff (did not show nesn's intermission) . i did have the commercial breaks and intermission timing down perfectly by the middle of the season though.
-i had a rough time stopping a game and coming back to it, making me start all over again (and again guessing where it was i left off) and since my internet was based out of denmark.. i always had to fast forward through an extra hour
-internet speed is really high but you would still get the buffering thing once in a while, which was really annoying
-playoffs were only nbc announcers every round. which needless to say i had nightmares of pierre making sweet love to the kunitz line and mike babcock

overall was it cheaper.. .absolutely.. but not that much.. a local cable technician informed me to cut the cord for about 3-6 months and they would basically beg me to come back. which they did and my internet was so expensive that i had to bundle it .. i now pay 112 for high internet speed, cable and two boxes, one being a dvr. honestly the only thing i will miss is not having to remember to set the dvr and headphones.. i cannot stress how much i loved watching the games with headphones on, especially after the family went to bed.

long winded but i put way to much research into it and thought i would share with other people going throught it

I don't presume to know your exact setup, but I bought a cheap DAC from Amazon that takes the digital out from my TV and converts it to analog with a headphone jack, then got a new super long headphone extension cable, all for under $30. The volume is manual only on the little box, but basically, I set it once and never changed it. Works great in our new house now that we have a loft-style master so I don't disturb the wife watching hockey/baseball late at night.

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
I don't presume to know your exact setup, but I bought a cheap DAC from Amazon that takes the digital out from my TV and converts it to analog with a headphone jack, then got a new super long headphone extension cable, all for under $30. The volume is manual only on the little box, but basically, I set it once and never changed it. Works great in our new house now that we have a loft-style master so I don't disturb the wife watching hockey/baseball late at night.
nice. thanks, ill have to look into that.. i was thinking about just spending a little extra for a nice wireless headset.. looks like there are some decent options..

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
nice. thanks, ill have to look into that.. i was thinking about just spending a little extra for a nice wireless headset.. looks like there are some decent options..
I did that first, bought a nice Sennheiser pair... didn't work out for me. The quality is inferior to wired, but that was okay, I guess, I knew that going in. But with all the other signals bouncing around my house (wireless, bluetooth, RF baby monitor), there were constant drop-outs and pops that it drove me batty. Tried a bluetooth setup, clean and sounded great, but the delay was too much.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
For those of you thinking of going the YouTube TV route, if you do run into playback issues, the first thing to do is update your app. The picture quality and channel menu is pretty impressive for $35 a month ( grandfathered in at that price) I like the DVR as well.

I've been doing YouTube tv for almost two months now, I have a smart Tv with a cable connection to my router and I pay for 400+ Mbps internet and I've had an amazing experience. All the bruins, sox, Patriots and Georgia (go Dawgs) games get dvrs automatically and I've had honestly zero lag or quality issues.

I highly recommend it .

Reactions: Curls13 and Silva

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Youtube TV has been fantastic for NESN (and +) alone it is worth it. You can buy a roku or chromecast for most TVs... at least Samsung if not others have an actual app built in for it as well.

NHL tv has a disturbing number of non-Bruins blackouts this pre-season and it confuses me.

$35 ($40 now) for Youtube TV, around $50 for internet. Cable just isn't worth it anymore.

Last edited:

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
I'm finding the NHL.tv app really good. The blackouts don't affect me here in Ireland and being able to watch the entire game again the next day is fantastic. Tonight for example, the Canucks game isn't on till 3am my time! So I just won't check the score and watch the whole thing in the morning.
It's proving to be a godsend for me and is well worth the 28euro (32 dollars) a month.

ez42x10

Dec 6, 2005
Wistah Mass
epitomeofdog.com
Heads up cord cutters (probably not news to most of you) - I didn't notice Friday because I was at the game but Playstation Vue dropped NESN hours before puck drop. Looks like I'm going to be dropping Vue.

More info: Keep NESN

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Sounds like there are some experts here and I could use some help.

I just became bedridden so I have lots of time to watch TV and Boston sports however I am in NJ and can't get Boston TV stations. I am very old 83 and don't have play stations and any of that stuff. I am not very technical either. I have a smart TV and cable with DVR. Direct TV won't put a dish on my roof for HD TV.

I can buy the NHL package, don't know the costs. Any other suggestion on how to watch the Bruins all 82 games?

I also am a Patriots fan any suggestions on how to watch the Pats in NJ? Can't get Direct TV.

I'd like to watch the Celtics games in NJ. I think there is a NBA package. Don't know any other way to watch Celtics? Any suggestions?

I can watch Red Sox and Yankee games, also some other Sox games, so I am all set there.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Go Bruins, Celtics, Pats & Sox.
Happiness and good health to all Boston fans.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Sounds like there are some experts here and I could use some help.

I just became bedridden so I have lots of time to watch TV and Boston sports however I am in NJ and can't get Boston TV stations. I am very old 83 and don't have play stations and any of that stuff. I am not very technical either. I have a smart TV and cable with DVR. Direct TV won't put a dish on my roof for HD TV.

I can buy the NHL package, don't know the costs. Any other suggestion on how to watch the Bruins all 82 games?

I also am a Patriots fan any suggestions on how to watch the Pats in NJ? Can't get Direct TV.

I'd like to watch the Celtics games in NJ. I think there is a NBA package. Don't know any other way to watch Celtics? Any suggestions?

I can watch Red Sox and Yankee games, also some other Sox games, so I am all set there.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Go Bruins, Celtics, Pats & Sox.
Happiness and good health to all Boston fans.

I am no expert, but if you are all about the sports, I have been told that FUBO is the best way to go.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
The Bruins and the Patriots are the only reason we haven’t gotten rid of Comcast yet. If I ever find a service that gives me all the games for both teams, I’m calling up Comcast and cutting the cord.

Looking forward to that profanity-laced conversation. :nod:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Keep NESN

Sony PlayStation Vue has dropped NESN. Rather than continue negotiations or accept the extension we gave them, Sony Vue has decided to take away your Red Sox and Bruins playoff games on NESN, NESNplus and NESN National.

NESN has a successful record of renewing agreements with distributors, but this isn’t new to Sony Vue. They have dropped channels before, such as Viacom networks and Sinclair broadcast stations.

While we hope Sony Vue will reconsider its position and keep NESN on its lineup, we’ve launched this site because we don’t want you to miss this Red Sox season or Bruins Stanley Cup coverage – and to let you know how to make your voice heard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad