Recalled/Assigned: Cuts (Final Roster released)

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
As unfortunate as it is these cuts were to be expected.

Berra and Horak specifically deserve to be on this team based upon their performances in camp, and you could easily make the argument that Sieloff outplayed both Smith and Obrien by a considerable margin.

Contract status ultimately won out over performance in my opinion, and that leaves me slightly annoyed.

I don't think it matters. I believe we'll be seeing a lot of players up and down between Calgary and Abbotsford, so a lot of these guys will get opportunities to impress with the big club if they are playing well in Abbotsford.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Burke also said that in Ana they thought Calgary had a great draft they thought all 3 first round picks were first round players. He said that he thought "We knocked it out of the park".

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Lol @ Burke, he says he won't rip Baertschi as he's doing it.

You know I don't have a problem with what he did. Burke isn't an idiot and this sure as heck isn't his first rodeo. He knows how talented Sven is and let's face it, he's had a brutal preseason by his standards. The expectations are high for Sven as they should. A groin injury he got in camp does explain his lacklustre play at the start of it. If Sven can't handle being called out by his boss to elevate his play, then he's not cut out to be a star in the NHL because your always in the spot light. I hope Sven uses this as motivation to bring it. I think he's gonna be fine and I think he's gonna be a big player in the NHL, but he needs to learn what it takes to make it the NHL and no one is going to hand him squat. He needs to earn it.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
For a team that's allegedly rebuilding, it's peculiar how they much emphasis and preference the vets still get. The fact that there wasn't enough spots for rookies who looked like they belonged in the NHL was obvious when thy traded for Jones and Galiardi while keepin Jackman and Stempniak. The Flames aren't the Redwings where they can justify leaving a guy like Horak in the minors because there's not enough room in the NHL.

Regarding Baertschi, seems like people are making far too big a deal out of preseason. A subpar three or four fairly meaningless games do not make or break a career. On the otherhand, Burkes comments were by no means overly harsh. While the pressure for Baertschi to be the Flames' savior are way too high, he definitely needs to show more effort on the ice. Sending him down though would be an egregious mistake - the Flames are supposedly rebuilding which means giving players the opportunity to develop in the NHL as opposed to waiting until they're impact players before inserting them into the lineup. It would be bizarre to show players like Jackman or Stempniak preference when neither have any sort of long term future with the Flames.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
As unfortunate as it is these cuts were to be expected.

Berra and Horak specifically deserve to be on this team based upon their performances in camp, and you could easily make the argument that Sieloff outplayed both Smith and Obrien by a considerable margin.

Contract status ultimately won out over performance in my opinion, and that leaves me slightly annoyed.

I completely agree.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
For a team that's allegedly rebuilding, it's peculiar how they much emphasis and preference the vets still get. The fact that there wasn't enough spots for rookies who looked like they belonged in the NHL was obvious when thy traded for Jones and Galiardi while keepin Jackman and Stempniak. The Flames aren't the Redwings where they can justify leaving a guy like Horak in the minors because there's not enough room in the NHL.

Regarding Baertschi, seems like people are making far too big a deal out of preseason. A subpar three or four fairly meaningless games do not make or break a career. On the otherhand, Burkes comments were by no means overly harsh. While the pressure for Baertschi to be the Flames' savior are way too high, he definitely needs to show more effort on the ice. Sending him down though would be an egregious mistake - the Flames are supposedly rebuilding which means giving players the opportunity to develop in the NHL as opposed to waiting until they're impact players before inserting them into the lineup. It would be bizarre to show players like Jackman or Stempniak preference when neither have any sort of long term future with the Flames.

I get what your saying and for the most part agree with you.

There are few things fans must keep in mind that Feaster/Burke must consider when deciding on a roster.
1) the cap floor. Regardless if Sven out plays Jones, or if a Horak outplays Hudler.....these salaries unfortunately have to be on the books.
2) entitlement. If Sven thinks he is entitled to a roster spot, and a Bouma, Street, jones, Galiardi, etc beat him for the spot, good on the flames for demoting him if they do.
3) compete level. If you have to sit a vet, re-assign a younger player to get the message across that no nights off is a rule then so be it. I can't wait to see Monahan vs Colborne vs Stajan vs Backlund for center roles.

4) leadership. All 23 players better be damn proud to wear a flames jersey. And for every Player that wants to move on for a chance to win a cup (Cammy, Hudler, etc) then you will get your wish. Calgary must start building a franchise where players WANT to be traded or signed to the flames.

5) buy into the system. If this team wants any success Hartley needs players who will buy into the system. If he needs Sven to play in all 3 zones then Sven better, or else it's wards job to teach him that. Hartley needs guys to be easy to coach. For every one player that doesn't buy into the system, there are 3-4 more with the heat that would love to be making NHL salaries.

The more Burke, Feaster, and Hartley talk about effort, culture change etc, the more I am excited for this rebuild. It's on the players. The fact Monahan is making it difficult for a coach to send him down is great. But all 22 players need to play with that determination.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

I get what your saying but what rookies beat out the vets on the team? Stempniak earned his spot he beat out every rookie and I don't think any rookie would benefit from Jackmans little ice time or press box time. If a rookie doesn't clearly earn a job there is nothing wrong with them going back to the AHL to work on this.

On the other side of the coin you say that a bad preseason is meaningless for Sven then why should a good preseason be meaningful for others? Imo someone like Horak should have gotten Sven's spot based on preseason, it goes both ways.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
@ Calculon, I completely agree with BVicious. Theoretically, Sven should not be sent down. But what message does it send if a player like a Horak or Bouma clearly outplay him, put in way more effort and they award Sven a spot because of where he was drafted? The mediocracy needs to stop in Calgary and that is how you go about doing it.

It's my hope that Sven listens to what Burke said and heads into the season and silences all the critics, nothing would please me more. But the fact is he hasn't played well and while it's preseason, he hasn't shown the effort or heart that others have.

I don't want to see him go down, but depending on his performance to start the season that may ultimately be what's best for him IMO.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
I get what your saying but what rookies beat out the vets on the team? Stempniak earned his spot he beat out every rookie and I don't think any rookie would benefit from Jackmans little ice time or press box time. If a rookie doesn't clearly earn a job there is nothing wrong with them going back to the AHL to work on this.

On the other side of the coin you say that a bad preseason is meaningless for Sven then why should a good preseason be meaningful for others? Imo someone like Horak should have gotten Sven's spot based on preseason, it goes both ways.

Good points Hudlinator. The reason that there are no rookies is because there are no rookies ready. (Monahan being the exeption) Horak didn't get a spot because Ben Street outplayed him. Heck, I thought Blair Jones was better than all of those rookies, based on preseason play he deserves the first call up.

I would imagine that next season is when we will see the Flames get significantly younger.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I thought Smith got waived and Seiloff was injured? Wasn't Street placed on waivers as well?

15 forwards, 7 defensemen (assuming Breen gets sent down) and 2 goalies is a 24-man roster?

Edit: I guess Cammy and Breen being injured doesn't count towards roster total
Just because a player is waived does not mean they are being demoted right away. Once a player is waived they can be sent down without being waived for 30 days or 10 games played (whichever comes first). This allowed the Flames to waive Smith and Street on the day in which the most bodies are on waivers making it unlikely they will be claimed, now when Cammy and Breen come off IR in the next month no one has to be waived again.

Sieloff was cleared days later, he just needs to wear a full shield for 6-8 weeks.

Well, I'm already pissed at Burke:

:shakehead
For being honest? Baertschi has been complete garbage through the rookie camp and training camp. He doesn't seem to work as hard in the neutral and defensive zones as he does the offensive zone and even then he is hit and miss. This is what I have been saying since last year and seeing Sven regularly with the Heat.

Not cool. ****, Burke needs to stay the hell away of the media. He claims that he doesn't pursue the media, yet he can't keep his mouth shut.
He was likely asked to do a press conference. Agreeing to speak to the media and answering honestly is not the same as seeking it out.

It is also the first time he has spoken to the media since the press conference announcing his hiring.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

4 rookies made the team, plus Bouma and Brodie who are not far removed from that status. That is a large number, even for a rebuilding team. It's like people are looking for reasons to complain :shakehead

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Honestly, who was Horak going to beat for a C spot anyway? The Flames just traded for Colborne; they weren't going to lose him to waivers after giving a pick. Stajan and Backlund aren't going to lose their spots. The only spot that was up for grabs went to Monahan.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Good points Hudlinator. The reason that there are no rookies is because there are no rookies ready. (Monahan being the exeption) Horak didn't get a spot because Ben Street outplayed him. Heck, I thought Blair Jones was better than all of those rookies, based on preseason play he deserves the first call up.

I would imagine that next season is when we will see the Flames get significantly younger.

Yep I think it is pretty clear that was the plan when we only have 7 NHL forwards under contract (3 of them are Backlund, Sven, Monahan) and only 4 NHL defensemen under contract (1 is Brodie), and only Ramo under contract for goaltender.

We could several rookies making the team next and the year after.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I get what your saying and for the most part agree with you.

There are few things fans must keep in mind that Feaster/Burke must consider when deciding on a roster.
1) the cap floor. Regardless if Sven out plays Jones, or if a Horak outplays Hudler.....these salaries unfortunately have to be on the books.

The concern with the salary cap floor is way overstated. The Flames are currently a little more than 6M over - that means they could theoretically trade Cammalleri for prospects and picks right now and still be okay cap wise.

2) entitlement. If Sven thinks he is entitled to a roster spot, and a Bouma, Street, jones, Galiardi, etc beat him for the spot, good on the flames for demoting him if they do.

3) compete level. If you have to sit a vet, re-assign a younger player to get the message across that no nights off is a rule then so be it. I can't wait to see Monahan vs Colborne vs Stajan vs Backlund for center roles.

See, it's great that the organization continuously preaches a message of meritocracy but it'd be nice if they actually enforced it. O'Brien and Smith were awful during camp. MacDonald was mediocre. Meanwhile, Horak was solid, Ferland was terrific, Berra showed promise and Sieloff was good too. But which group of players are in the AHL and which are in the NHL?

People need to stop paying so much attention to what the organizations says and start paying attention to what the organization actually does.

That's the thing though, there's no opportunity for these players to actually earn a spot.

As much as I like Galiardi as a player, what as the point of bringing him in for a 4th when they're guys on the Heat that could provide a similar level of play on the 4th line? Why is it that despite Horak looking solid, Colborne is gifted a spot? What kind of message does that leave - that no matter how well you play, we'll simply bring in another player to take your spot because of contract status. Look at Ferland; terrific preseason. But there's absolutely no room to even give the guy a cup of coffee at the moment even though he showed a ton.

Compare the situation to that of the Sabres who are also rebuilding. They have guys like Ristolainen, Grigorenko, Girgensons, and Pysyk making the team this year. And why is that? Because they actually have spots available for those guys to earn. On the Flames, it for the most part doesn't really matter how a prospect plays because it's almost a certainty that the Flames will enter the season with 18-20 one way contracts, 90% or so of their lineup already written in stone all but ensuring the odds are stacked against prospects making it. It's one thing to do that when you're a team competing for a cup; it's another thing entirely when you're supposedly rebuilding.

@ Calculon, I completely agree with BVicious. Theoretically, Sven should not be sent down. But what message does it send if a player like a Horak or Bouma clearly outplay him, put in way more effort and they award Sven a spot because of where he was drafted? The mediocracy needs to stop in Calgary and that is how you go about doing it.

Meritocracy shouldn't only apply to prospects. If a player like O'Brien sucks out loud, shouldn't they be sent down too? It's the double standard when it comes to vets and prospects and the length to which the Flames as an organization go to create more obstacles for their own, home-grown talent, to actually play on the big club that's the issue.

4 rookies made the team, plus Bouma and Brodie who are not far removed from that status. That is a large number, even for a rebuilding team. It's like people are looking for reasons to complain :shakehead

The quantity of rookies is irrelevant. It's simply the fact that they're prospects/players who are good enough to be in the NHL (Horak, Sieloff, Berra) but aren't because of contract status/preference to vets.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Great Job Calculon. As usual, you provided a well thought and reasoned post. I believe its tougher for a prospect to learn to play at an NHL level when they rarely get the opportunity. Some guys adapt to the next level and therefore require exposure, while some guys need to be coddled. I see a hungry player like Horak get sent down while a lazy ass forward gets the job and I wonder hat culture they really are trying to establish. Get back onto the horse they say? Creating an identity? I remember when the Flames had Hagelin and Kotalik take the jobs away from some very motivated prospects and then we see those prospects lose motivation and lack the urge they once had. Guys like Howse and Wahl.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I've said my piece about calling out players. Human psychology is a science, and the same Burke who wants to humiliate Sven was also belittling advance statistics, therefore I wouldn't expect him to take a progressive approach and simply tell the media that each player's performance is constructively criticized to that player and those conversations will not be disclosed to the media unless the player chooses to disclose them.

I would've called out Baertschi too. Just not at one of the biggest Flames press conferences of the year. Do it to his face behind closed doors, that's all.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
The concern with the salary cap floor is way overstated. The Flames are currently a little more than 6M over - that means they could theoretically trade Cammalleri for prospects and picks right now and still be okay cap wise.

See, it's great that the organization continuously preaches a message of meritocracy but it'd be nice if they actually enforced it. O'Brien and Smith were awful during camp. MacDonald was mediocre. Meanwhile, Horak was solid, Ferland was terrific, Berra showed promise and Sieloff was good too. But which group of players are in the AHL and which are in the NHL?

People need to stop paying so much attention to what the organizations says and start paying attention to what the organization actually does.

That's the thing though, there's no opportunity for these players to actually earn a spot.

As much as I like Galiardi as a player, what as the point of bringing him in for a 4th when they're guys on the Heat that could provide a similar level of play on the 4th line? Why is it that despite Horak looking solid, Colborne is gifted a spot? What kind of message does that leave - that no matter how well you play, we'll simply bring in another player to take your spot because of contract status. Look at Ferland; terrific preseason. But there's absolutely no room to even give the guy a cup of coffee at the moment even though he showed a ton.

Compare the situation to that of the Sabres who are also rebuilding. They have guys like Ristolainen, Grigorenko, Girgensons, and Pysyk making the team this year. And why is that? Because they actually have spots available for those guys to earn. On the Flames, it for the most part doesn't really matter how a prospect plays because it's almost a certainty that the Flames will enter the season with 18-20 one way contracts, 90% or so of their lineup already written in stone all but ensuring the odds are stacked against prospects making it. It's one thing to do that when you're a team competing for a cup; it's another thing entirely when you're supposedly rebuilding.

Meritocracy shouldn't only apply to prospects. If a player like O'Brien sucks out loud, shouldn't they be sent down too? It's the double standard when it comes to vets and prospects and the length to which the Flames as an organization go to create more obstacles for their own, home-grown talent, to actually play on the big club that's the issue.

The quantity of rookies is irrelevant. It's simply the fact that they're prospects/players who are good enough to be in the NHL (Horak, Sieloff, Berra) but aren't because of contract status/preference to vets.

Completely agree. I think its a mistake to think of this opening roster as static though. I bet at least 2 more prospects end up on the team full time by the end of the year, through trades and injuries.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Completely agree. I think its a mistake to think of this opening roster as static though. I bet at least 2 more prospects end up on the team full time by the end of the year, through trades and injuries.

This is probably true. Maybe the Flames are simply having a surplus in the event that the Flames plan on selling a lot more

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Great Job Calculon. As usual, you provided a well thought and reasoned post. I believe its tougher for a prospect to learn to play at an NHL level when they rarely get the opportunity. Some guys adapt to the next level and therefore require exposure, while some guys need to be coddled. I see a hungry player like Horak get sent down while a lazy ass forward gets the job and I wonder hat culture they really are trying to establish. Get back onto the horse they say? Creating an identity? I remember when the Flames had Hagelin and Kotalik take the jobs away from some very motivated prospects and then we see those prospects lose motivation and lack the urge they once had. Guys like Howse and Wahl.

I think people ignore the human factor when it comes to prospects. They're not machines; continuously and constantly put enough obstacles in their way to success and demoralization and regression become very real factors. As much as some fans like to cling to the infallibility of the organizations management team for whatever reason, there exists an obvious issue with their approach to development as evidenced by their almost complete lack of success in that area in the last decade or so. One that leaves an enormous amount of room for criticism.

Oh I know. I see the current situation as more of a short term, five to six month issue. By the deadline, the Flames should be divesting themselves of the services of Cammalleri, Jackman, Stempniak, Butler, Smith and one of Stajan/Galiardi. By next summer, MacDonald, possibly Hudler and hopefully O'Brien should be gone. That's nine spots freed up. A few will go to players acquired through trade and free agent acquisitions, but in theory, there should be a lot more opportunities for rookies next season (as well as after the trade deadline this year). At least, something like that should be happening if the organization is actually rebuilding.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

I agree about Colborne he was a gifted a spot but he will have to work to keep. With that said who could replace Galiradi? The only one close would be Ferland and if we want him to develop a offensive game there is nothing wrong with going to the Heat and working on it. Again the one player in the top 12 that had a bad camp was Sven so if Ferland gets a cup of coffee it is at the expense of Sven and I think we can all agree that Sven is further in his development and should be in his spot.

Sure we could compare it to the Sabres who are doing it their way but Tampa Bay is also rebuilding and they just sent back Drouin and Connolly, Toronto did the same thing in their rebuild they didn't rush players. I get that we want players in the NHL but look at the most recent teams to bring their prospects right into the NHL Edmonton, Colorado, Carolina (Skinner). All these teams still picked in the top 10 with Tampa its not like the kids are improving these teams. We are following the Detroit model of development (ie taking plenty of time with players to make sure they are 100% not just having a good camp). I know we don't have the same level of NHL success as Detroit but that doesn't mean we should change our approach to development.

Look at next season we only have 5 1 way contracts at forward, we only have 4 1 way contracts on D, we only have 1 1way contract in net. Simply put these kids are going to have to force the Flames to make room for them it isn't enough to play as well as a couple of the vets they have to earn their spot. The only player in camp that earned a spot and missed out was Horak who can now be the top guy on the Heat and will get several looks this year.

There are many ways to develop prospects and to be honest I think Buffalo made a mistake last year with Mikhail Grigorenko as he didn't look NHL ready. The Sabres have 3 first round picks on their roster to start the year we have 2 the difference is we only had 1 2 years ago when they had 2.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yes it is relevant because it shows there were plenty of spots for kids to win.

Sieloff was not going to be in the top 6, he would have been the #7 if he made the team. What is better for his development? Sitting in the pressbox with the big club or getting a chance in the top 4 in the AHL? Call me crazy but I think at 19 him playing minutes is vital.

Berra is in a similar situation to Sieloff, he was the 2nd best goalie in camp, but what is better for Berra, riding the pine or getting the chance to start? I say starting.

Now let's get to Roman Horak, the single most overrated prospect in the Flames system. He is capable and not out of place in the NHL, but he is also not even close to being a stand out, hell after the first 10 games or so last year he wasn't even a stand out in the AHL, in fact he was downright mediocre. The guy is not good enough offensively to play a scoring role and isn't physical enough or gritty enough to be in a checking role. Going back to the AHL to try and develop his offensive game is exactly what he needs or he will be an AHL/NHL tweener for the rest of his career.

You like to complain about the kids not getting chances but the bottom line is if they were good enough, they would have made it. Filling a rebuilding team with a bunch of kids is not a good idea, you need a solid veteran base to bring them along properly. The Flames have that and the kids have a chance to move up the depth charts and earn more playing time. Having them have to work for it rather than just hand it to them is a good thing.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Nobody should be complaining about colburne getting a spot given his contract. The flames just traded a pick for him, they're not about to throw him on waviers.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
The Flames have been working this model forever and we've seen lots of prospects never pan out as expected. They need ice time in the minors... but if you were to ask what a prospect wants - what really motivates him - its to play in the NHL, even if its at a limited role. Its their dream to play in the NHL. If continuing to have such few opening spots available to prospects haven't worked in Flames development before, why continue?

So while they're are Detroit models, they're have also been Philly, who has no problem playing rookies and allowing them to play on the bottom line. The energy line teaches a player something that the top line doesn't. There's different responsibilities, different humilities and character to be had, and different players to play against.

Horak has played 81 games at the NHL level in a limited role, playing on a struggling club. He's done admirably in his time, and given that he's 22 years old, its ridiculous to consider him a fringe NHL/AHL player. HE PLAYED BETTER than CURRENT NHL level players and is only playing at a lesser tier league because he's not in control of his future, a Flames General Manager is.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The Flames have been working this model forever and we've seen lots of prospects never pan out as expected. They need ice time in the minors... but if you were to ask what a prospect wants - what really motivates him - its to play in the NHL, even if its at a limited role. Its their dream to play in the NHL. If continuing to have such few opening spots available to prospects haven't worked in Flames development before, why continue?

So while they're are Detroit models, they're have also been Philly, who has no problem playing rookies and allowing them to play on the bottom line. The energy line teaches a player something that the top line doesn't. There's different responsibilities, different humilities and character to be had, and different players to play against.

Horak has played 81 games at the NHL level in a limited role, playing on a struggling club. He's done admirably in his time, and given that he's 22 years old, its ridiculous to consider him a fringe NHL/AHL player. HE PLAYED BETTER than CURRENT NHL level players and is only playing at a lesser tier league because he's not in control of his future, a Flames General Manager is.
Horak may have played admirably, but he is not better than the veterans that made the team. That is the point. Handing a spot to a kid for no other reason than they are young is blatant stupidity and no NHL team does it.

The reason the Flames prospects in the past didn't pan out wasn't because of a lack of opportunity. IT'S BECAUSE THEY WERE NOT VERY GOOD TO BEGIN WITH.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad