Recalled/Assigned: Cuts (Final Roster released)

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=684806&navid=DL|CGY|home

Opening day lineup

GOALTENDERS (2)

Joey MacDonald

Karri Ramo

DEFENCEMEN (7)

T.J. Brodie

Chris Butler

Mark Giordano

Shane O’Brien

Kris Russell

Derek Smith

Dennis Wideman

FORWARDS (14)

Mikael Backlund

Sven Baertschi

Lance Bouma

Joe Colborne

TJ Galiardi

Curtis Glencross

Jiri Hudler

Tim Jackman

David Jones

Brian McGrattan

Sean Monahan

Matt Stajan

Lee Stempniak

Ben Street

INJURED (2)

Chris Breen

Michael Cammalleri

Last edited:

Mar 1, 2013
Toronto
A little surprised Cundari didn't get a longer look, and that Billins is still around. Thought Poirier might stick around too, but nothing too surprising.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
At the end of the day, they must feel Poirier would benefit more from playing in Junior this year, which is not outlandish. Might have hoped he would stay longer, but they must want to see more of players they think might actually crack this roster and stop using a spot in games on a guy they felt confident should be in Junior.Next year with Poirier will be fun though!

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
Seeing our '11 draft class turning pro(besides johnny) is pretty awesome and speaks for the work weisbrod has been doing

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
As Therrien said in response to Leblanc's gf being upset they cut him early, he said something along the lines of "We know about Leblanc, there's other guys we'd like time to get to know".

If the plan was never to have Pourier on the squad full time, they may have seen everything they liked from him and would rather spend a little more time evaluating a few of the boys on the bubble, or who they didn't get a great look at so far.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
As Therrien said in response to Leblanc's gf being upset they cut him early, he said something along the lines of "We know about Leblanc, there's other guys we'd like time to get to know".

If the plan was never to have Pourier on the squad full time, they may have seen everything they liked from him and would rather spend a little more time evaluating a few of the boys on the bubble, or who they didn't get a great look at so far.

pretty much, poirier was a loooooong shot

"hey you showed why we drafted you in the first place, now go back to jr and develop more"

as for kanzig, no one knows what he can really do with his flashes of brilliance but i think the brass wants to see what he can do when pushed against NHLers, hopefully kicks him into another gear then go back to jr to develop that consistency.

Demetric

Jun 19, 2013
Under a Rock
makes a fair bit of sense. Known commodities sent down that wont be making the team (Cundari), those that need more of a look (Kanzig) or ones that could make the team (Monahan) still around

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
makes a fair bit of sense. Known commodities sent down that wont be making the team (Cundari), those that need more of a look (Kanzig) or ones that could make the team (Monahan) still around

I'm sure that is the case. Cundari didn't have a spot and will be in abbotsford to start anyway so may as well give the organization a better viewing of Kanzig. But Hanowski surprises me a bit especially since he is a RW.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
The Poirer cut is very disappointing. He can learn a lot from a few more practices, a few more games, and just being around pros a little more. He was the best rookie forward IMO and deserved a better look

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm more curious to see if anyone is waived at the end of camp.

Poirier surprises me, I am also quite surprised about Culkin. Yes, Weisbrod has been doing a great job, he was a huge hiring.

Demetric

Jun 19, 2013
Under a Rock
3 goalies
ramo
Mac
berra

Likely Berra sent down to start season as he is only one wit ha 2 way contract

13 Defense
wideman
Gio
Brodie
SOB
Butler
Russell
Smith

Wotherspoon
Billings
Sieloff
Ramage
Breen
Kanzig

Top 7 are on one way contracts so likely see those guys staying

22 forwards
Cammy
Hudler
D. Jones
Stajan
GlenX
Stemper
Backlund
Sven
Galiardi
McGratts

Jackman
B. Jones

Monahan
Knight
Granlund
Jooris
Reinhart
Ferland
Bouma
Street
Horak
Begin (AHL contract only)

The top group I expect to make the team, middle are bubble 1 way contracts

Last edited:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Cundari is the most surprising assignment to the minors.

Agreed. And in terms of d prospect's he's at middle age; in terms of the average career arc he should be in the NHL full time next season rolls around, or it's unlikely he'll end up being a guy of any real importance.

And it's really hard to imagine him being worse than Butler, even this season.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
22 forwards
Cammy
Hudler
D. Jones
Stajan
GlenX
Stemper
Monahan
Backlund
Sven
Galiardi
McGratts
Jackman
B. Jones
Knight
Granlund
Jooris
Reinhart
Ferland
Bouma
Street

I am missing 2 forwards and not 100% on the rest of the list in regards to the evaluation guys go, help appreciated in completing the list
^^ Horak and Begin.

Not sure why Begin, Billins, Street and Kanzig are still doing up, and I would have liked to give Poirier a little more of a look and a confidence booster by keeping him past the first round of cuts.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
^^ Horak and Begin.

Not sure why Begin, Billins, Street and Kanzig are still doing up, and I would have liked to give Poirier a little more of a look and a confidence booster by keeping him past the first round of cuts.

I think they want Poirier to get a bit of camp for his team in the Q. I think Kanzig is still there because he brings a physical presence close to what NHL players do and will be good for practice especially for board battles.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Surprising that Begin is still around. I thought he was supposed to be somewhat of a player/coach for the Heat and their training camp starts on Friday. I wonder when the next round of cuts are.

Street is here because he has an outside shot at making the team being a center and all. I would imagine that one of Street or B. Jones are on the opening night roster. 11 centermen still in camp.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Surprising that Begin is still around. I thought he was supposed to be somewhat of a player/coach for the Heat and their training camp starts on Friday. I wonder when the next round of cuts are.

Street is here because he has an outside shot at making the team being a center and all. I would imagine that one of Street or B. Jones are on the opening night roster.

I think Begin is there to help practice pp and pk (he would be on the pk obviously).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad