Recalled/Assigned: Cuts (Final Roster released)

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I think the Flames should've claimed Philip Larsen and sent Derek Smith down.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
As unfortunate as it is these cuts were to be expected.

Berra and Horak specifically deserve to be on this team based upon their performances in camp, and you could easily make the argument that Sieloff outplayed both Smith and Obrien by a considerable margin.

Contract status ultimately won out over performance in my opinion, and that leaves me slightly annoyed.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Berra and Horak specifically deserve to be on this team based upon their performances in camp, and you could easily make the argument that Sieloff outplayed both Smith and Obrien by a considerable margin.

Contract status ultimately won out over performance in my opinion, and that leaves me slightly annoyed.

I agree but in Feaster's press conference he said that if a player were to impress in Abbs and the coaches or Conroy feel that they have nothing left to prove/learn in the AHL that the team will find a way to make room for him. He also said that the soon to be UFA's that they want to keep they will be trying to negotiate by December so if a player on Abbs plays great they could very easily move a player that they don't think wants to here or they don't want here at Dec.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

I agree 100%

This is the Calgary Flames way of doing things however. Even before camp started there was a full team already under contract. Yet the staff claim that they'll make room for those who deserve it...

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
I think Baertschi will be demoted when Cammy is healthy to play. I also think the flames will have to rid themselves of one possibly two wingers in the first month.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I agree 100%

This is the Calgary Flames way of doing things however. Even before camp started there was a full team already under contract. Yet the staff claim that they'll make room for those who deserve it...

Street was able to play his way onto the team (even if its only a call up) and Bouma also got a spot. Because we haven't seen Colborne he had to be given a spot or another rookie would have made it, and if Monahan doesn't stay the year there is another spot open. The only players on the team that I don't think should be there are MacD, Smith, SOB. The rest earned it imo.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I love that Monahan made the team. I hope he stays the whole season.

Yeah, this is great news. I really hope he plays all season.

I guess that's Stajan, Backlund, Monahan, Colbourne down the middle. Should be interesting because Colbourne and Monahan could easily steal ice time from any given centremen given hot/cold streaks

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
I agree 100%

It's tough to make room when there isn't any buyers out there. A lot of teams are having to make tough choices today because of the same problem. I think the team will showcase some guys, and start clearing out guys to get some of the picks we lost.

I think guys like Butler, Smith, Horak, jackman, street, and Stempniak could be moved in the next month, just to get some of these guys now in the AHL a chance to play

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Agreed, especially regarding SOB.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
I also think it's time we tried Backlund at wing.

Baertschi - Monahan - Backlund/

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Well, I'm already pissed at Burke:

Pat Steinberg ‏@Fan960Steinberg Burke answers "I'm not sure" when asked what the #Flames have in Sven Baertschi. Says he needs to compete in all 3 zones.

Burke on Baertschi, cont.: “There's three zones on the ice ... and I don't see that he's learned to play and compete in two of them.â€

Brian Burke on Sven Baertschi: "This is a guy, right now, who's focusing on one area. And even then, sporadically."

:shakehead

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Street was able to play his way onto the team (even if its only a call up) and Bouma also got a spot. Because we haven't seen Colborne he had to be given a spot or another rookie would have made it, and if Monahan doesn't stay the year there is another spot open. The only players on the team that I don't think should be there are MacD, Smith, SOB. The rest earned it imo.

I agree the rest earned it.

But the following players were under contract before the season started

Cammy, Stajan, Hudler, Glencross, Backlund, Stempniak, Jones, Jackman, Galiardi, and McGrattan. Everyone had Bouma and Baertschi penciled into the line-up, as both are barely rookies anymore. That's a full, 12-forward line-up. Who honestly had a chance?

The defensive line-up is very similar.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012

Yes, but the truth hurts. And Feaster couldn't have said it better: the expectations for Sven are sky high. Too high.

But Burke is right. If you are not committed to improve the weaknesses in your game, you need to be told. Hartley told him, I'm sure Feaster has told him, and he obviously didn't improve cuz now Burke had to tell him.

If he isn't going to help this team in all 3 areas, if he isn't going to earn a spot, then yes, to the heat he shall go.

No player/prospect should be entitled to a roster spot on this team at this time.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Why, Burke has only really seen him this offseason and he was ****ing terrible. Sven has played some of his worst hockey in the last month I'm not surprised Burke isn't impressed as no one should be. This should be a wake up call to Sven that he can't just bank on past seasons to make the team he has to show what he can do every time he gets a chance especially when we have new director of hockey.

Last edited:

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I agree the rest earned it.

But the following players were under contract before the season started

Cammy, Stajan, Hudler, Glencross, Backlund, Stempniak, Jones, Jackman, Galiardi, and McGrattan. Everyone had Bouma and Baertschi penciled into the line-up, as both are barely rookies anymore. That's a full, 12-forward line-up. Who honestly had a chance?

The defensive line-up is very similar.

Like I said almost everyone earned there spots I think Knight had a real chance but didn't play well until the last week of camp. I thought Granlund had a chance but every center on the team outplayed him. I thought Horak had a chance but couldn't beat out the wingers in the top 9 and 4th line is no place for him. I think Sieloff could/would have made it if hadn't broke his jaw and because of that he got less of a look. Cundari had a chance but honestly didn't blow me away.

Its never going to be a completely level playing field but many rookies just didn't have great camps. I think based purely on camp Sven shouldn't have made the team Horak should have but Sven was penciled in that is the only player in the top 9 that I think had a poor camp and he is being given a 2nd chance.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Why, Burke has only really seen him this offseason and he was ****ing terrible. Sven has played some of his worst hockey in the last month I'm not surprised Burke isn't impressed as no one should be. This should be a wake up call to Sven that he can't just cost on past seasons to make the team he has to show what he can do every time he gets a chance especially when we have new director of hockey.

I see what you're saying, but Baertschi has apparently been suffering a groin injury, so that may be affecting his play. Not only that, but the kids need to learn from their mistakes and this is not the way of doing it.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I see what you're saying, but Baertschi has apparently been suffering a groin injury, so that may be affecting his play. Not only that, but the kids need to learn from their mistakes and this is not the way of doing it.

This is the way Burke has always done it in a very public manor. Agree with it or not this is his way of lighting a fire under Sven. If he is suffering a groin ability it didn't seem to affect him in the offensive zone when had a scoring chance. The fact is this fan base ripped on Tanguay hard last year for doing exactly what Sven did this preseason, I don't see why he shouldn't get the same treatment. Yes he is a rookie but he wants to be a pro and many think of him as a pro so he is getting the pro treatment. Hopefully he heals/gets it together because I have never seen a 4th liner like Lance Bouma look more dangerous in all 3 zones that a supposed top 6 play in Sven like I did this offseason.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

Pat Steinberg ‏@Fan960Steinberg Burke answers "I'm not sure" when asked what the #Flames have in Sven Baertschi. Says he needs to compete in all 3 zones.

Burke on Baertschi, cont.: “There's three zones on the ice ... and I don't see that he's learned to play and compete in two of them.â€

Brian Burke on Sven Baertschi: "This is a guy, right now, who's focusing on one area. And even then, sporadically."

Not cool. ****, Burke needs to stay the hell away of the media. He claims that he doesn't pursue the media, yet he can't keep his mouth shut.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
Not surprising especially considering the coaches and the management has been preaching "effort" and "hardwork" and Sven showed none of that. It puts Sven in a tough spot sure, but he needs to realize that it's not whl anymore, defense matters in this league.

I'm sure burkie had this talk with kessel as well, now he's utilizing his speed to play in all three zones and becoming a top player in the league
No big deal

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Not cool. ****, Burke needs to stay the hell away of the media. He claims that he doesn't pursue the media, yet he can't keep his mouth shut.

Burke was giving a press conference and asked directly about Sven. He gave an honest answer and said he has seen him give flashes of brilliance but he wants to see him give 100% every shift and he hasn't seen that this preseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad