GDT: Cute Emergency! Lil' Avs vs. Baby Sharks

Do you know the way to San Jose? DO YOU!?!?

• Yes

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • No

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • I ATE DIONNE WARWICK!!!!

Votes: 12 38.7%

• Total voters

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
It would have to be a perfect storm for that to happen.

Even if the Avs had finished the win in regulation, they’re still 2 regular wins behind Dallas.
For Dallas and Colorado to tie in points but with Colorado getting 2 more regulation wins would require very specific results in a very short time frame.
You are right about Dallas. I had MIN in mind when I posted that comment. Ending up in 3rd because of last night would suck.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I will never understand this. Why does he get such a long leash when nobody that bad has ever gotten a leash with Jared? What is it with Macermi that Jared keeps insisting on dressing him as a dman of all things? The guy is terrible. We better not see him in the playoffs.

You don't need to be good to get a leash. Just do the same thing every night so he knows how to use you. Even if you suck, suck consistently. It's hilarious..

JT is good at a few things, and then gives you replacement level effort on everything else, and he is son of Bednar.

Bednar is an ECHLer at heart.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm glad they won but holy crap was this messy. With 7 games to go I have no idea why they were trying so hard to feed Mikko. He has plenty of time to score ONE goal. Just play your game and it will come. This team needs wins right now so take care of business first. I could see feeding Mikko with one or two games left and they were playing for nothing but 7 games left? Crazy. With RWs being the first tiebreaker I really hope not winning in regulation last night doesn't come back and bite them in the ass.

Part of that is as much about getting it out of the way as it is wanting him to reach 50. It's clearly in Mikko's head a little and it's causing him to grip the stick a bit.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
Nuke - MacK - Malgin
Lehk - JTC - Moose

*If Landy is not playing.

I'd take it one step further and say that is the line-up regardless of Landy. There is no way he will work the rust off prior to the playoffs. Make the bottom 6:

Landy / Newhook / Rodriguez
Cogs/ Eller / LOC ( this assumes Helm is out, but maybe Eller anyway)

Nieto / Helm / MacPunchyface

To be perfectly honest, if Landy shows any Landiness at all, I would put LBN on the third line, and Erod on Nacho duty. Possibly even LOC on the third line, as his speed and corner work would free Landy up, and Newhook seemed to have some chemistry with LOC when Cogs was in the spot Landy would now own. Then put LBN on the 4th line.

Last edited:
Reactions: niwotsblessing

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
You are right about Dallas. I had MIN in mind when I posted that comment. Ending up in 3rd because of last night would suck.

Make the dialogue even more fun, and look at what could happen if LA beats Vegas in regular time today.

Then say that the Avs win their 3 games in hand. (SJ, LA, Ana)

Then the Avs and Vegas match records in the final 3 games.

Points - tie
RW - tie
ROW - tie
SOW - Avs - 6, Vegas - 5

It would not be impossible for the Avs to come out on the top of the West, but it could go way down the tiebreaker list. FTR, the Avs own the H2H at 2-1 in games and +3

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Did not love Byram’s defensive game much at all tonight. I counted three separate times he forced a bad pass that got picked off. Not gonna pick on him on the GTG as that looked like a complete breakdown all around but I wasn’t thrilled with his game in the defensive zone. Offensively he was good.

Agreed. Thought Bo struggled in this one. Was forcing things too much with the puck and was a little too flat footed defensively.

He also reverted back to his comfort zone of dialing back his pace to slow the game down. He's always better IMO when he plays on his toes and pushes the opposition back, rather than letting them come to him.

How about Girard losing the battle in front of the net for the GTG though? Feels like that's more worthy of critique, since it's the main reason the goal was scored. Toews also had some tough mistakes/giveaways for scoring chances.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
How about Girard losing the battle in front of the net for the GTG though? Feels like that's more worthy of critique, since it's the main reason the goal was scored. Toews also had some tough mistakes/giveaways for scoring chances.

I been lookin' at that and are we really sure he "lost" that battle? Sammy had Labanc tied up well enough but I'm not sure what he could do to keep him from getting to that loose puck. If he holds or tackles him it's a penalty. It's not like Labanc goes through G in order to get to that puck, it's the opposite direction, Sammy couldn't put himself between the puck and the recipient there.

Now I would have preferred Sammy go all out once the puck was there instead of try in vain to block it, if he gets a penalty THEN, then so be it.

Bottom line, that pass never should have gotten to the slot area so easily in the first place.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I been lookin' at that and are we really sure he "lost" that battle? Sammy had Labanc tied up well enough but I'm not sure what he could do to keep him from getting to that loose puck. If he holds or tackles him it's a penalty. It's not like Labanc goes through G in order to get to that puck, it's the opposite direction, Sammy couldn't put himself between the puck and the recipient there.

Now I would have preferred Sammy go all out once the puck was there instead of try in vain to block it, if he gets a penalty THEN, then so be it.

Bottom line, that pass never should have gotten to the slot area so easily in the first place.

He has the stick tied up, then loses the stick battle, then loses body positioning, then falls down in a desperate attempt to block the shot. These are are all strength related issues. Someone like EJ or JJ could have kept Leblanc's stick ted up fo longer. They could have boxed him out better.

And he didn't have the reach to recover and disrupt the shot after losing body positioning. Someone like EJ or Bo could have extended their stick to get stick on puck sooner to deflect the shot away or prevent it.

This is why G needs to be paired with someone like EJ who can just hang out by the front of the net and down low, while G roams. It's no coincidence he was paired with EJ when he played his best on this team.

Bo's not a guy to just post up in front of the net. He makes too many smart good defensive plays subtly interfering with guys, tying up their sticks, and using his mobility to break up plays, and you want him to keep his feet moving so he's ready to jump up in transition when it's there. Hard to do that starting from the front of the net after a big physical battle every shift.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He has the stick tied up, then loses the stick battle, then loses body positioning, then falls down in a desperate attempt to block the shot. These are are all strength related issues. Someone like EJ or JJ could have kept Leblanc's stick ted up fo longer. They could have boxed him out better.

And he didn't have the reach to recover and disrupt the shot after losing body positioning. Someone like EJ or Bo could have extended their stick to get stick on puck sooner to deflect the shot away or prevent it.

This is why G needs to be paired with someone like EJ who can just hang out by the front of the net and down low, while G roams. It's no coincidence he was paired with EJ when he played his best on this team.

Bo's not a guy to just post up in front of the net. He makes too many smart good defensive plays subtly interfering with guys, tying up their sticks, and using his mobility to break up plays, and you want him to keep his feet moving so he's ready to jump up in transition when it's there. Hard to do that starting from the front of the net after a big physical battle every shift.

Well I’m glad I saw video on that again because it didn’t quite happen how I remembered it. But now I blame the absolute shit defense from that fourth line, especially Meyers who could’ve easily gotten down low to try and stop Gregor from emerging from behind the net with the pass. He’s just floating out in space doing nothing. Didn’t love the defense from Byram either but he was also the victim of a really bad change.

And I’d argue a lot of the so-called “crease clearers” on the team and elsewhere in the league lose positioning on guys in front of the net a lot more often than Sammy.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Well I’m glad I saw video on that again because it didn’t quite happen how I remembered it. But now I blame the absolute shit defense from that fourth line, especially Meyers who could’ve easily gotten down low to try and stop Gregor from emerging from behind the net with the pass. He’s just floating out in space doing nothing. Didn’t love the defense from Byram either but he was also the victim of a really bad change.

And I’d argue a lot of the so-called “crease clearers” on the team and elsewhere in the league lose positioning on guys in front of the net a lot more often than Sammy.

Bo didn't play that shfit well defensively. He was a little too slow to react and to move his feet, and it gave his assignment too much time and space to make a play with the puck. He had some other iffy moments in the game as well. But G is the main reason the goal was scored.

I disagree strongly that bigger "crease clearers" lose position a lot more than Sammy, but even if that were true, the biggest problem for Sammy is that he can't recover nearly as well as them.

They have the size and reach to help them make desperation attempts to break up plays. As you can see from the clip, when Sammy loses body positioning, there's unfortunately almost nothing he can do. He has to play it near perfectly every time, which is very hard to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad