Curtis Valk

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I wouldn't have much of a problem giving him an AHL contract. I also wouldn't mind seeing him in the preseason though. So far so good for him though, he's sure made a name for himself, and the fact he played in Medicine Hat should help in his favour. ;)

Callhee

Embrace the hate.
Aug 24, 2009
It would be interesting to see if we have a high scoring AHL team this year with Fox, Valk, Horvat, Gaunce, possibly jensen all playing. It would be the first time in a while we would have that much talent on our AHL team.

Valk isn't under contract yet, and Horvat can't play in the AHL; either NHL or Juniors for him.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Valk is not going to play with the big club this year. I think right now, everyone has to get that out of their heads as a possiblity. No matter how many goals he scores, Valk needs to learn the defensive side of hockey and that would be in Utica.

IF, he continues to score and IF, he shows the ability that he is capable of being defensively competent, then he will earn a 2 way contract. Then, IF he has a successful season with Utica and IF, he outplays Shinkaruk or Jensen, then he will play for the Canucks.

Ideally, Shinkaruk and Virtanen are shoe-ins for top 6 wing positions. That leaves Kassian and Jensen as favorites for the last two spots, and hopefully one of Valk/Fox/McCann can outperform Kassian and or Jensen. Pushing one of those guys into a third line role, which I think may be ideal for Kassian, but more than likely Jensen.

So, Valk has a Alex Burrows type road ahead of him.

I don't know if this was really directed at me, but I don't think I suggested that a contract with the Canucks meant he made the big club. I was more speaking in terms of earning a two-way contract with the Canucks vs an AHL contract instead, and I believe most everyone was making this distinction.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
Love me some Curtis Valk BUT...Canucks are, I believe, now at 50 contracts so signing Valk is a no go until they get rid of a contract. Not impossible but just keep that in mind.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Love me some Curtis Valk BUT...Canucks are, I believe, now at 50 contracts so signing Valk is a no go until they get rid of a contract. Not impossible but just keep that in mind.

The signed players who have junior eligibility remaining, who don't make the Canucks out of camp (Virtanen, McCann, Horvat, etc.) will have their contracts slide. Judging by the way Valk has performed, they will likely sign him to an AHL contract and then once the big shuffle is done, offer him a 2-way ELC.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Not yet imho, there is no rush. Let's see how he plays in some real pre-season games against NHL/AHLers.

He played against NHL/AHLers today and sniped two against Miller. Most of the prospects going to the AHL out of Jrs. haven't proven themselves vs. NHL talent yet either. Why should he have to in order to get a shot in the minors. He already stacks up way ahead of Mallet as a player who can find the net. Someone found him worthy of a contract.

That's the point of the AHL, to develop guys into players capable of competing vs, NHLers. If they had that capacity already, they'd be in the minute percentage who make the big club straight out of Jrs. Valk outproduced Vancouver's top prospects in the line up in the Young Stars tourney. There will be contract room after signed players return to Jrs. Give him one of those open spaces. There isn't anyone else in camp doing better that's unsigned.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
Is he gary's son?

nope

PENTICTON — Vancouver Canuck tryout candidate Curtis Valk is not related to one-time Canuck plugger Garry Valk but he does have a relative who had a distinguished playing career in the NHL.

"Kelly Hrudey is my great uncle," Curtis Valk explained Friday before the Canuck prospects met the Edmonton Oilers in their first outing at the Young Stars tournament. "He's married to my mom's aunt. My mom and her aunt are, like, two years apart and whenever we had family functions, he was always there. He lives in Calgary and we're from Medicine Hat."

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/...Curtis+Valk/10199059/story.html#ixzz3E1BY1ZCJ

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver
He seems to be one of those players that just has a knack for finding the back of the net. He's got good senses and a good, accurate shot. Worth giving him a shot to see what he can do in the AHL at least.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
He played against NHL/AHLers today and sniped two against Miller. Most of the prospects going to the AHL out of Jrs. haven't proven themselves vs. NHL talent yet either. Why should he have to in order to get a shot in the minors. He already stacks up way ahead of Mallet as a player who can find the net. Someone found him worthy of a contract.

That's the point of the AHL, to develop guys into players capable of competing vs, NHLers. If they had that capacity already, they'd be in the minute percentage who make the big club straight out of Jrs. Valk outproduced Vancouver's top prospects in the line up in the Young Stars tourney. There will be contract room after signed players return to Jrs. Give him one of those open spaces. There isn't anyone else in camp doing better that's unsigned.

So he sniped a couple against a rusty goalie in a preseason camp warm up scrimmage. Again I see no rush to sign him when you can let him play some real tougher games and see if he can keep it up. If he still looks good then sign him.

I just don't see the urgency, he's unlikely to get poached in the next two weeks.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
We'll take that offer. He scored 47 in Medicine Hat last season according to the stat sheet I saw. He was the only solid scorer in the Young Stars tourney in which the more golden prospects failed to sparkle. Two more today vs. Miller.

I think he's earned at least a Comets contract, but a 2-way would make more sense if this scoring touch continues. If the kid turns out to be for real at the AHL level, then Vancouver could give him a shot. Can't find out if they release him. Nothing to lose placing him in Utica or even the Zoo. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hey certainly don't want to take the chance of someone else giving him a shot after they release him without even taking the time to see what they actually had and then he turns out to be the real deal. Wouldn't be any flack from that move I'd guess.

There is no option for a 2 way contract. His options are either a AHL contract with Utica or a ELC (tho salary could differ for the ELC, given he still hasn't been signed at this point, it'll probably be close to a min ELC). He should be a good addition for Utica (if nothing else) and could become a solid prospect for us. Basically he's really no different than signing any small College UFA. Odds are they won't work out but every so often one does (i.e. Tanev with a few prospects/others still being question marks).

As far as comparison, i don't think JS comparison are fair. Beside size, they really don't have a lot in common. JS is more of a playmaker, is much better in his own end, and realistically doesn't try to score that often (in terms of goals). He relies on his line-mate a lot more to produce (basically doesn't create a lot of chances for himself but does for others). Think mini-H. Sedin (in terms of size and in terms of lesser skill level). He also has the same flaw in that he's a bit too passive sometime and makes a pass when he should be taken the shot (something that was a huge issue for H. Sedin and you could argue still is, but he's better at it now than when he first started). That said, JS realistically had (and probably still has) all the skill to be a NHL player. He just ran into a string of bad luck. First he was in a system that really didn't give too many chances to young players since most roster spots were already filled. Every time JS got a chance, he seem to get hurt or a trade happens (Roy). On top of that, the team is actually filled with play makers and the top 2C slots were filled with All-stars. Basically again no chance for him (at the time) to play and experiments converting him to the wing didn't work out.

Valk is quite different in that he's a sniper. Seems to have issues in his own end (actually seems lost). Of course that could be due to playing with players he hasn't really played with (at least in young star tournament, didn't really pay attention to him when he played on MH). Valk does seem to be a finisher and we really lack finishers. That skill alone probably should earn him a ELC. Size will always be an issue and with that, durability might be an issue too (i.e. JS). Of course until he gets a chance to play, we don't know if those possible issues really will be an issue. Also he has an added bonus of probably knowing a good deal about whatever system we implement in the NHL (which likely means a similar type system in Utica). Also defensive awareness can easily be coached but shooting ability/finishing skills are much harder to improve.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
There is no option for a 2 way contract. His options are either a AHL contract with Utica or a ELC (tho salary could differ for the ELC, given he still hasn't been signed at this point, it'll probably be close to a min ELC).

Are ELC's not two way contracts?

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
This guy will be forgotten by Halloween.

Those would certainly be the favoured odds. Although, most would have thought that about a guy like Santorelli last season as well. I personally haven't even seen the guy play, so I'll reserve my optimism until after preseason at the least. With that being said, I think as Canuck fans were due for a bit of luck with our young players.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
So he sniped a couple against a rusty goalie in a preseason camp warm up scrimmage. Again I see no rush to sign him when you can let him play some real tougher games and see if he can keep it up. If he still looks good then sign him.

I just don't see the urgency, he's unlikely to get poached in the next two weeks.

What's with you and this "play some real tougher games and see if he can keep it up" stuff? Players out of Jrs. are signed to contracts based on their Jr. performance and then they are given time to develop or flop in the minors. He has been a good scorer in Jrs. He scored in the tourney when the top prospects didn't. He scored in the scrimmage. If he doesn't pot another, he has still shown it's worth a shot.

I don't see any harm done. It's not like there are four or five other unsigned guys who are lighting it up. There aren't any are there? There is no immediate urgency. When camp ends, why not sign him up and send him off to Utica who can in turn send him to the Zoo if they don't have room. However, with the Comets' scoring prowess of last season, if he can bulge the twines there during preseason as well, he'd be welcome in the Mohawk Valley.

His defensive side can be taught and if he has a hockey mind, he'll pick it up. Jensen and Grenier showed little to no defensive skills when they suited up last season or at least refused to use them. Many posters from Vancouver also argued Jensen didn't have a two way game and the rebuttal was, "Yeah, but he can score. He can learn the defensive end of the game as he goes." How is this kid any different? Again, that's what the minors are for. I don't see the logic in passing up on a project that could in the end do what every team needs, SCORE! If he flops, so be it. Where is the harm in trying? It's not like either club is overloaded with high end scorers.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Well at least we're being optimistic about the kid :shakehead

5'10 .. maaaybe, 5'11 sure. 5'9 ... I don't care how built you are (and he's not) you must be significantly good to make an impact. He's potted a couple goals against non-pro goalies in a prospects tourney and a couple in a scrimmage.

His ceiling is Utica IMO, so, yeah, like I said. Forgotten by Halloween if he reaches his ceiling. That's being positive. ;)

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Those would certainly be the favoured odds. Although, most would have thought that about a guy like Santorelli last season as well. I personally haven't even seen the guy play, so I'll reserve my optimism until after preseason at the least. With that being said, I think as Canuck fans were due for a bit of luck with our young players.

Massive differences between Santorelli and Valk.

Speaking their names in the same sentence only shows the unrealistic expectations on a kid that's got a couple goals in the easiest of circumstances. (In relation to the Canucks.)

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
When you have a team that has had major trouble scoring goals in the last few years you "nab" anyone who seems to have a natural goal scoring ability. Defence can be taught.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
5'10 .. maaaybe, 5'11 sure. 5'9 ... I don't care how built you are (and he's not) you must be significantly good to make an impact. He's potted a couple goals against non-pro goalies in a prospects tourney and a couple in a scrimmage.

His ceiling is Utica IMO, so, yeah, like I said. Forgotten by Halloween if he reaches his ceiling. That's being positive. ;)

At 5'9" the odds are very much against him but don't completely dismiss Curtis Valk based on his height alone. What if Martin St.Louis or now Tyler Johnson had never been given a chance because of their height?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad