Curtis Valk

alicia

~
Apr 11, 2011
Vancouver, B.C
So who is this guy? I've seen him plastered all over camp, the Young Stars, but can't find a whole lot of information about him.

Is he signed on a PTO, ELC, do we have him indefinitely?

What an amazing player, just by watching him play, he seems phenomenal. If we didn't end up with him in the future, I'd be a bit disappointed.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
So who is this guy? I've seen him plastered all over camp, the Young Stars, but can't find a whole lot of information about him.

Is he signed on a PTO, ELC, do we have him indefinitely?

What an amazing player, just by watching him play, he seems phenomenal. If we didn't end up with him in the future, I'd be a bit disappointed.

Invited to Camp by the canucks has a past relation whip with Willie D in Medicine Hat.. 5'9" 170 lbs creative speedy winger with great passing and finishing abilities.. Could be a gem could be a future Switzerland star.. Time Will tell.. I think we sign him to a two way contract and he gets a few call ups during the year.. Hopefully he turns into more of MSL and not a Brandon Reid :)

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
we will have to see how he does against NHL players......but he should get signed to play with the comets as the team could use more skill player

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
At the least, I would like to see him signed to an AHL deal to see what he is capable of in our system. He's a teammate of Shinkaruk's from junior, so having that familiarity there would be a plus.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
We've given contracts to a lot worse players coming from the dub than Valk. If he's creative with the puck and can skate, give him an AHL/ECHL deal.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Think he's easily deserved an AHL deal with Utica.

We'll take that offer. He scored 47 in Medicine Hat last season according to the stat sheet I saw. He was the only solid scorer in the Young Stars tourney in which the more golden prospects failed to sparkle. Two more today vs. Miller.

I think he's earned at least a Comets contract, but a 2-way would make more sense if this scoring touch continues. If the kid turns out to be for real at the AHL level, then Vancouver could give him a shot. Can't find out if they release him. Nothing to lose placing him in Utica or even the Zoo. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hey certainly don't want to take the chance of someone else giving him a shot after they release him without even taking the time to see what they actually had and then he turns out to be the real deal. Wouldn't be any flack from that move I'd guess.

medhatcanuck

Jul 8, 2010
Inside JayZ's Belly
is there any difference between him and Schroeder? perhaps more skilled?

This is actually a great question.

I think Schroeder is a much higher calibre of player at the same age. Consider that Schroed played US Junior National team, and produced. Then consider that J Schroeds was a 1st round pick and was picked lower because of his size, also he was a product of NCAA.

Valk on the otherhand, undrafted, produced at a 45-45 rate as a 20/21 year old in the Dub. He obviously benefited from being older then the competition.

There are key tangible differences. The main similarity is that they are both undersized for the NHL.
Differnences:
1) Schrods was a passer, Valk seems to have the ability to put the puck in the net, evidences by his 47 goal season and his performance so far in the Canucks camp.
2) They are coming from two opposite scenarios.
Schroeder, had immense pressure to make it in the NHL as an undersized NHL player, he was destined for failure, as Henrik, Kesler and Hodgson were all ahead of him on the depth chart, and Schroeder could have really only excelled if used as an offensive top 6 forward. The only scenario, that could have worked for Schroeder is if he played as our 2nd line center, surrounded by excellent scoring forwards. I think he ended up playing with Higgins and Hansen. Which isn't the role which he could have succeeded at. In summary, he was destined for failure in the NHL and had substantially more pressure on him then Valk.
Valk is in a do-or-die scenario (i know he's only 21) where nobody truley believes he will be a NHL. He basically is trying to utilize his one skill, which is sniping goals. His scenario is much more beneficial as a player. At Canucks Prospects camp, there was a definate lack of scoring from our top prospects, so him being able to put pucks in the net made him newsworthy. His continuance to put pucks in at Canucks scrimmage is also a good sign. If he can carry it into the pre-season, I think the canucks will offer him a K.

Essentially,
1) Schroeder is the better overall hockey player.
2) Passer v Scorer
3) Scroeder set up for failure, Valk is in a nothing to lose scenario. Valk fills a need for the Canucks, a scorer. Whereas Schroeder was forced into a role that never fit him in the first place.
4) Valk could end up being the better NHLer, and it right now hinges on him scoring goals in the pre-season and then potentially having a good season with Utica.

IMO, that is the difference between Valk and Schroeder.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
A word of caution, though: his great-aunt (who is around the same age as his mother) married Kelly Hrudey.

Maybe Hrudey will finally have nice things to say about the Canucks if Valk makes the team?

And if Valk makes the team, it'll be because he's got balls and plays nuts out.

He wants to score in the NHL, he needs to pay the price and hit the dirty areas.

That's one thing Schroeder didn't do much of, and that's one thing you see small guys like MSL and Gallagher do.

medhatcanuck

Jul 8, 2010
Inside JayZ's Belly
Yea I'm not sure he's earned a contract with the Canucks, but he should get a look at the AHL with a contract with the Comets.

Valk is not going to play with the big club this year. I think right now, everyone has to get that out of their heads as a possiblity. No matter how many goals he scores, Valk needs to learn the defensive side of hockey and that would be in Utica.

IF, he continues to score and IF, he shows the ability that he is capable of being defensively competent, then he will earn a 2 way contract. Then, IF he has a successful season with Utica and IF, he outplays Shinkaruk or Jensen, then he will play for the Canucks.

Ideally, Shinkaruk and Virtanen are shoe-ins for top 6 wing positions. That leaves Kassian and Jensen as favorites for the last two spots, and hopefully one of Valk/Fox/McCann can outperform Kassian and or Jensen. Pushing one of those guys into a third line role, which I think may be ideal for Kassian, but more than likely Jensen.

So, Valk has a Alex Burrows type road ahead of him.

medhatcanuck

Jul 8, 2010
Inside JayZ's Belly
schroeder wasn't destined for failure

he failed all by himself

Don't you think having to outplay Sedin, Kesler, and Hodgson, is a pretty insurmountable feat for an undersized center? Being utilized in a 3rd line center position is a pretty significant departure from his skill-set. Secondly, if I remember correctly, he actually played quite well in that third line role (for a short period), but the Canucks were beginning the 'Bruins' model phase, where having an undersized center was percieved as an absurdity, compounded by the fact that we stunk in the playoffs that year.

Of course, all failures start and end with the player. But I personally believe some players are in more of an ideal situation than others, which directly affects their careers.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Don't you think having to outplay Sedin, Kesler, and Hodgson, is a pretty insurmountable feat for an undersized center? Being utilized in a 3rd line center position is a pretty significant departure from his skill-set. Secondly, if I remember correctly, he actually played quite well in that third line role (for a short period), but the Canucks were beginning the 'Bruins' model phase, where having an undersized center was percieved as an absurdity, compounded by the fact that we stunk in the playoffs that year.

Of course, all failures start and end with the player. But I personally believe some players are in more of an ideal situation than others, which directly affects their careers.

Schroeder failed to standout at the AHL level. As someone else pointed out, he failed all by himself.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

No, it wasn't an ideal situation for him. But he had a couple solid stretches where he was spoon fed ice time and given offensive opportunities. He failed to deliver.

That's not to say he can't flourish elsewhere.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
It would be interesting to see if we have a high scoring AHL team this year with Fox, Valk, Horvat, Gaunce, possibly jensen all playing. It would be the first time in a while we would have that much talent on our AHL team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad