Speculation: Curtis Glencross

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
Why would you trade away talent for a 30yr old who played 3 games last year when the Flyers could get Gagne for a steal, Gagne could do the same role Glencross would for a lot less.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Another guy in a similar mound (defensively extremely responsible, can chip in a decent amount of points, extremely classy guy, bangs on the boards, great board play, great PKer, good locker room presence.) I would look at is David Moss.

IMO one of the more underrated wingers in the NHL.

He won't bring as much offence as Glencross, maybe ~35 points. (but tbf if Glencross is on our 3rd not getting 2 mins PP a night he aint getting the 45-50 points he usually does.) He did play top line in Calgary for a while though, and can play in all three forward positions.

But he is about equal defensively, very consistent, and a better PKer tha Glencross (though tbh we have a lot already.) He has shown on two teams that he plays great D while putting up some points, so he can adjust. He did play with Boyd Gordon last year though... which will have helped his defensive numbers.

He is on half a mill less than Glencross as well, is more used to playing an exclusively defensive roll, with awful zone starts (~40% O zone) so would be happier playing on the 3rd line, I imagine Glencross would take more persuading.

Pretty much exactly what our third line needs.

Downside is he is Phil Kessels cousin. ;p And his injury history.

Last edited:

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I wouldn't do B. Schenn for him. No chance. Schenn is a much more complete player and already a NHLer. Sven has potential, but Schenn does as well. Give him playing time, and we will see Schenn flourish here.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I wouldn't do B. Schenn for him. No chance. Schenn is a much more complete player and already a NHLer. Sven has potential, but Schenn does as well. Give him playing time, and we will see Schenn flourish here.

It's really dumb to consider trading BSchenn or Couturier now, unless some team wants to overpay. This isn't a Stanley Cup contender, so just let them play and develop. It's rather unlikely they have already peaked after two NHL seasons.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I would offer up Coburn but then the defense would look REALLY bad. Coburn hasn't been very good but he still better than most Flyers defensemen, though that's not saying much.

The defense is already really bad. Not much to say other than there is a lack of speed and we're so commited to older defensemen it's ridiculous. Streit is a perfect example.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Streit will be the only old Dman on the team next season if Kimmo retires.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
and that's what's wrong with this organization

always in win now mode

What was mentioned was trading READ - who works VERY well on the PK and can play ALL over the lineup.

I like youth, but I don't like sending something one way when we don't have the personnel to fill it. Would Glenncross do what Read does?

I just think the speculation is all fluff.... we need to see this team in a few more games under Chief to see what happens.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Deal Gus and Mez (and a pick if necessary) for Glencross. Roll with Gil and Gervais as 6 and 7. See where we are at the deadline in regards to going after another d-man or selling.

Hartnell-G-Voracek
Schenn-Vinny-Simmonds
Glencross-Couturier-Read
Talbot-Hall-Rinaldo
Rosehill/Newbury

Timonen-Schenn
Streit-Coburn
Grossmann-Gill/Gervais
Gill/Gervais

It's not pretty, but this team making the playoffs is not the difference between Gill/Gervais and Gus/Mez.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Can't see this working out too well.

Don't get me wrong, that is an ugly bottom pair. Gill and Gervais should not be regulars on this team (or really any team in the NHL). They are both fine as #7 guys who fill in from time to time, but not every day players.

That being said. If you think the difference between the Cup (or playoffs) is Mez/Gus in that role instead of Gill/Gervais, you are crazy. The defense is worse with those two as 6/7, but removing Mez/Gus and replacing them with Gill/Gervais is not going to change this team from a contender to a nothing team. Especially when you factor in the added benefit that Glencross brings to the table.

Re-assess the situation at the deadline. Maybe a trade can be made at that point to improve the defense at least to the level of Mez/Gus. Factor that in with the added benefit of Glencross and you are have at least improved your team on paper.

I want to let everyone know that I am in no way saying that Gill and Gervais are going to make the defense better or anything else along those lines. Please don't respond by saying "THIS MAKES THE DEFENSE WORSE BLAH BLAH BLAH!" I am simply saying that acquiring Gelncross while losing Mez/Gus would still be a net gain. The defense would be worse, for sure. But Glencross would solidify the top nine and the difference between Mez/Gus and Gill/Gervais is not the difference between playoffs and non-playoffs.

Get Glencross and re-visit the bottom pair at the deadline if necessary (or before then if possible through waivers or another deal). A sixth defenseman is not going to be a superstar. Get someone better than Gill/Gervais and you are looking at a better team than we have now.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Just so you know, Glencross is very unlikely to waive his NMC. He took a discount so he could stay in Calgary.

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
Don't get me wrong, that is an ugly bottom pair. Gill and Gervais should not be regulars on this team (or really any team in the NHL). They are both fine as #7 guys who fill in from time to time, but not every day players.

That being said. If you think the difference between the Cup (or playoffs) is Mez/Gus in that role instead of Gill/Gervais, you are crazy. The defense is worse with those two as 6/7, but removing Mez/Gus and replacing them with Gill/Gervais is not going to change this team from a contender to a nothing team. Especially when you factor in the added benefit that Glencross brings to the table.

I hear ya and I agree. That pairing can't be any a worse than Parent/Krajicek.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I really think talking trade so early is really premature. If we are still losing 25-30 games into the season, Homer should go and then we should start thinking about the returns we could get for players like Coburn, Mez(if he can stay healthy),Talbot, Hartnell(another wildcard) and of course the biggest one of all, Kimmo. Kimmo would warrant a huge return I think.

Just much too early to make any moves. If moves are made, it should be to the future and not looking to make the playoffs if they continue to struggle.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Timonen could bring such a good return that I'd be tempted to do it none the less.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Glencross has a NMC and you guys are speculating a trade for possibly Coburn or L.Schenn which both have NTC's...this thread is ridiculous.

i doubt it's a big trade if any. probably more like a 5th for Jackman.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I think Glencross is a luxury tbh for a third line... a very good luxury, but he is really a 2nd/3rd liner who gets a lot of PP time that help his points. He would produce far less points on our 3rd than he does atm, get little PP time... and little PK time, he is not an amazing PKer. He also seemingly wants to be in Calgary, and doubt he wants to go from a 2nd line PP guy to a 3rd liner.

You could go out and get 5 guys who would be able to play the same role on our 3LW, for possibly cheaper, with a similar or smaller hit, and who have been playing that role more consistently, and are better on the PK... and can slide up to 2nd line if needed.

If it was me I would look at guys like:

David Moss: C/W, 6'3, 200lbs, 31 years old:
~30-35 points, great guy, PK's well, defensively great. - = injury concern. + FA after year. $2.1m

Lauri Korpikoski: C/W, 6'1, 195lbs, 27 years old:
~30-40 points, versatile as hell, great PKer, great hands... can definitely play up the lineup as well, has some great skill at times. I think he is the safest bet on this list. $2.5m

Mark Letestu: C/W, 5'11, 195lbs, 28 years old:
~35-40 points, not as good defensively as previous two, but maybe better offensively, and is a good PKer, can play up the lineup if needed. Would probably cost a bit. He somehow signed for a stupidly low figure. $1.25m

Sean Bergenheim: W, 5'10, 205lbs, 29 years old:
~30-35 points, good defensively, and has been on three teams, decent PKer has ability to move up lineup, as he showed in Tampa. -/+ = the guy has been out for a while and value could be low... he could also not be the same player any more, biiiiig risk, but great rewards, maybe could be on the cheap. $2.75m

Rob Klinkhammer: W, 6'3, 210lbs, 27 years old:
? ~20-35 points, would be someone I would look closely at as well, in limited time in Phoenix he has looked a stellar third liner... the problem with Phoenix is last year Moss-Gordon-Klinkhammer played together, and Moss and Gordon are known defensively good guys who can pop in points... so were they simply carrying Klinkhammer? He could be a great NHL third liner for the next 5 years plus... he has all the tools, and is a great PKer, seems very defensively responsible. He may cost, Phoenix seem to love him. $625k

IMO these guys are pretty perfect 3W... the kind of players who work hard, can get points without extensive PP time, are defensively responsible and go about their business with little fuss. Ofc some of these may cost more, and some less, but these are better fits IMO.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Nice list. They certainly can't keep playing Rinaldo and Talbot on the third line.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
David Moss would be the highest on my list like yours it seems. Korpi wouldn't be bad as well, but would probably cost more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad