Curtis Glencross AVS Tryout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
I don't see what that would give us. Save his strengths for 5 on 4 and offensive zone starts on even strength. He is awful defensively anyway so that wouldn't help our PK either.

100 percent disagree. His defense definitely doesn't compare to his offensive play, but to call it awful is certainly a far cry from reality

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
If Duchene plays on the PK it will be to take the faceoff and get the puck out of the zone, then he'll go for a change. While he's not great defensively he can be a threat on the PK thanks to his speed and the role of forwards on the PK is vastly overstated, it's the D-men and goalie who do 90% of the job.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
If Duchene plays on the PK it will be to take the faceoff and get the puck out of the zone, then he'll go for a change. While he's not great defensively he can be a threat on the PK thanks to his speed and the role of forwards on the PK is vastly overstated, it's the D-men and goalie who do 90% of the job.

I thought Roy didnt want to use guys #1 guys for penalty killing, unless it's really crucial for the game. I doubt he wants to use Landeskog/Duchene regularly in his first unit.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I don't think Duchene is terrible defensively, and I don't think he's very good either, but I do wonder if he takes on more of a faceoff role this year. With ROR gone, he becomes our best faceoff guy, and I wonder if Roy tries to use him for big faceoffs now. Soderberg's faceoff numbers improved from year 1 to year 2 in the NHL, but they still didn't hit 50%.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
He'll be forced to do that with O'Reilly gone. I said it a lot of times before, this team needs a defensively responsible centre who can take key faceoffs and play in defensive situations, he doesn't even need to score, Goc would be perfect, but I don't see them adding anyone anymore.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
He'll be forced to do that with O'Reilly gone. I said it a lot of times before, this team needs a defensively responsible centre who can take key faceoffs and play in defensive situations, he doesn't even need to score, Goc would be perfect, but I don't see them adding anyone anymore.

Boyd Gordon would have also been good in that role. Dudes money on the dots.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Thats the thing I dont get. Wasnt Duchene considered a solid 2 way centreman coming out of the draft or did I make that up in my head?

No, he was considered a solid 2-way center when there was the years-long debate of what we should pay O'Reilly. Duchene even made the Olympic team, so that showed how good he was at defense! (I'm obviously being a bit facetious in my parsing of the debate)

I've long said that Duchene would probably top out at "Average" at best when it comes to the defensive side of the game, and that's alright for me, because I'd like him to be way more consistent on the offensive side of the game.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Thats the thing I dont get. Wasnt Duchene considered a solid 2 way centreman coming out of the draft or did I make that up in my head?

He was Battalions go to guy on both PP and PK, he was one of the better two way forwards in junior and it was a big reason why he had that late surge before the draft. I actually think he was good for a rookie defensively in his first season, just didn't improve as much as you would expect based of on that.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
He was Battalions go to guy on both PP and PK, he was one of the better two way forwards in junior and it was a big reason why he had that late surge before the draft. I actually think he was good for a rookie defensively in his first season, just didn't improve as much as you would expect based of on that.

I remember him getting PK time in that first season aswell. Hell even his first NHL game Sacco put him out there on a few PK's in that game against San Jose.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I dont want to burn our top forwards out on the PK but I don't mind if they play some second unit and can use their speed to be a shorthanded threat. Duchene is out there sometimes last 30 seconds and I never thought he was bad at it.

Last edited:

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I mean the more I think about it do they really have a choice but to put Dutchy on the Pk more this season?

For faceoffs? Maybe. Landeskog is gonna have to play a lot of PK. And it's gonna hurt his offensive numbers. But we have no choice. We don't have good enough depth to handle resting him. And Landeskog is probably too good at it to sit aside.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
No, he was considered a solid 2-way center when there was the years-long debate of what we should pay O'Reilly. Duchene even made the Olympic team, so that showed how good he was at defense! (I'm obviously being a bit facetious in my parsing of the debate)

I've long said that Duchene would probably top out at "Average" at best when it comes to the defensive side of the game, and that's alright for me, because I'd like him to be way more consistent on the offensive side of the game.

He's already a lot better than people think or seem to want to give him credit for around here.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
ive only seen the Isles list, where do you see them?

As far as I know the team announces or stalk nhl.com team lists for additions.

We were at 67, I can't figure out if the new one is Aittokallio or Parshin. Which one is always there? I want to say Parshin. Hamilton and Elliott are on there even though they haven't signed.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playersearch.htm?team=COL#

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
For faceoffs? Maybe. Landeskog is gonna have to play a lot of PK. And it's gonna hurt his offensive numbers. But we have no choice. We don't have good enough depth to handle resting him. And Landeskog is probably too good at it to sit aside.

Maybe a healthy Winchester can take on a heavier load on the PK than Cliche. Landy will have to increase his minutes for sure, but there was a pretty big gap between Landy and ROR's PK minutes last year. They'll have to replace that by committee.

I think there might be a more likely chance we see Rantanen (if he makes the team) on the PK than Dutchy.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I mean the more I think about it do they really have a choice but to put Dutchy on the Pk more this season?

Absolutley. Everberg, Winchester, Mitchell, McLeod, Lando. Maybe Yeti, Comeau, Grigo, Rantanen.

i really don't get why people want Duchene on the PK. He is one of the last people we should be using. Sure, he might be our best FO guy, but it's not like he is that good. And he is looking for the breakaway way too much. Sure, he might help with some SH goals, but not near enough to make up for the number of goals he will be responsible for from taking chances looking for the SH goal. He should never be out there other than the final few seconds where we can maybe get a more offensive unit out there against the PP unit after the PK has ended.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
The way I see it, and if you listen to Roy / Sakic, they want Soderberg to play in the top six between Landy and Mackinnon. That means:-

Look at this line-up (if fully healthy) and Glencross signed a contract with us:-

1. Top 6: Landeskog, Duchene, Mackinnon, Soderberg, Tanguay & Iginla
2. Bottom 6: Comeau, Glencross, Grigorenko, Rantanen, Mitchell & Mcleod

That leaves Depth: Everberg, Cliche, Hishon, Winchester

That's far, FAR more depth than in previous years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad