Curtis Glencross AVS Tryout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
https://twitter.com/sForecaster_nhl/status/633692538201767936

What are peoples thought's on this, and where do you think he'd fit, if he made the team??

I'm locking in Landeskog, Mackinnon, Tanguay, Iginla, Duchene, Soderberg in the top six.

I think Rantanen may make the team because he's already playing against men. Therefore, I have a bottom six (or eight) of Grigorenko, Comeau, Rantanen, Mitchell, Mcleod, Everberg, Bordeleau, Winchester.....

then potentially Glencross?

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Our bottom six needs all the help it can get. We can't count on Rantanen. And we can't count on Winchester or Bordeleau who weren't top players to begin with but have barely skated in 18 months. Grigorenko might not even become an NHLer (I think he will). Everberg and Mitchell are fine bottom sixers but Everberg should hopefully not hit top 9 minutes, not the worst thing in the world if Mitchell does. Cliche and McLeod shouldn't be amongst the 12 best forwards in a healthy lineup.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I'm all for another depth forward but if someone who has a thousand followers and follows 800 tweets something off another phony account's tweet, I don't think that's really thread worthy...

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I think Avs should stop going after washed up players. They've done enough of that in recent years.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
The Avs may not be Stanley Cup contenders, but they don't have any blue chip forward prospects close to making the club who a veteran would be taking development time from.

Any small move to push for a playoff birth would be a good move. I think Glencross can provide 25 points in a 3rd/4th line role.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Not often I see eye to eye with the_fan, but I'd rather see one of Everberg, Rendulic, Hishon, or the like there in that 3rd/4th line role.

Since it is just a tryout though, I'm not bothered. Maybe he will return to his old ways and make a nice addition, but if it was a coin flip between GlenX and one of our current players, I'd just as well hope the latter get the spot.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Not often I see eye to eye with the_fan, but I'd rather see one of Everberg, Rendulic, Hishon, or the like there in that 3rd/4th line role.

Since it is just a tryout though, I'm not bothered. Maybe he will return to his old ways and make a nice addition, but if it was a coin flip between GlenX and one of our current players, I'd just as well hope the latter get the spot.

And since it's just a rumour from a guy with less than 1000 followers on twitter it probably isn't even true.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
And since it's just a rumour from a guy with less than 1000 followers on twitter it probably isn't even true.

And I would add to this (because it's a good observation, Robin), that when that person was questioned as to where they heard it, their response dodged the question. It was something along the lines of "Does it matter? If he's not signed when training camp starts, he'll be at Family Sports..."

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don't care where he fits on opening night. By game 5, we'll have taken an injury and could use a guy like him in the top 9. That's when you move Everberg onto the 4th line.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
This is some blog on hockeybuzz...

On Glencross

Reports are he is getting a tryout with the Colorado Avalanche. That would be a great fit and could really help bring some needed grit missing since the loss of Stastny.

Grit missing since losing Stastny? LOL.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
Glencross was good on the Flames when he had guys to over shadow him. Wouldn't be terrible on this team I'd think.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
There really is no bad here. It pushes the younger guys to fight for a spot and gives the coaches a viable option if they arent up to snuff. I know id rather have another capable NHLer than just giving someone a spot just because..youth, esp in this division.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
There really is no bad here. It pushes the younger guys to fight for a spot and gives the coaches a viable option if they arent up to snuff. I know id rather have another capable NHLer than just giving someone a spot just because..youth, esp in this division.

Plus it makes players like Winchester, Cliche, Bordy, McCleod a little less secure in their positions. All 4 of them are kinda borderline NHL hockey players, a player like Glencross who is an NHL caliber player, pushes one of them out of the lineup, and puts the others on notice that mediocre results aren't going to be tolerated anymore.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The only young guy I see him directly competing with is Everberg. I don't think they sign Glencross to take a spot away from Rantanen if they think he's ready. If they feel Rantanen isn't ready, he won't be in the lineup regardless of what we do about Glencross.

Winchester, Bordy, and Cliche would all definitely have more trouble getting time in the lineup if we sign Glencross, but unfortunately, McLeod is a lineup lock.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The only young guy I see him directly competing with is Everberg. I don't think they sign Glencross to take a spot away from Rantanen if they think he's ready. If they feel Rantanen isn't ready, he won't be in the lineup regardless of what we do about Glencross.

Winchester, Bordy, and Cliche would all definitely have more trouble getting time in the lineup if we sign Glencross, but unfortunately, McLeod is a lineup lock.

That's how I see it, Rantanen isn't contingent on anyone else. It all depends on if he's ready or not but he's not in competition with anyone really. I guess he has to look better than whoever he would bump out but with the massive difference in talent that's not really a competition.

There's no downside to adding more options to the roster but contract spots are finite and as much as we think we know who would be sacrificed we don't.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Woo, boy. Glencross was pretty awful last year.

There has only been one season where Comeau has been better than Glencross, last season. And even then it is dubious at best. Comeau isn't a penalty killer, he's not a scorer, he's not a grinder and he's certainly not a two-way forward. Yeah, I don't expect to like him and would be surprised if he changed my opinion of him. But as far as I'm concerned, we just signed Chuck Kobasew to a 2.4x3 contract.

Glencross can at least kill penalties and play a 2-way game. If he regained his offensive touch he'd score more than Comeau too.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
There has only been one season where Comeau has been better than Glencross, last season. And even then it is dubious at best. Comeau isn't a penalty killer, he's not a scorer, he's not a grinder and he's certainly not a two-way forward. Yeah, I don't expect to like him and would be surprised if he changed my opinion of him. But as far as I'm concerned, we just signed Chuck Kobasew to a 2.4x3 contract.

Glencross can at least kill penalties and play a 2-way game. If he regained his offensive touch he'd score more than Comeau too.

Well thats dramatic

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Speaking of PK, do Avs have anyone that can kill penalties anymore?

Sakic said Comeau can kill penalties but he didn't do much of that with the Pens.

Landeskog can, but who else? Seems like Avs are really thin in that area

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
But as far as I'm concerned, we just signed Chuck Kobasew to a 2.4x3 contract.

I remember being really disappointed we didn't sign Koby back.

Really liked him as a PK-4th liner.
(although Sacco tried him basically at every other position than that)

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Speaking of PK, do Avs have anyone that can kill penalties anymore?

Sakic said Comeau can kill penalties but he didn't do much of that with the Pens.

Landeskog can, but who else? Seems like Avs are really thin in that area

I've been harping about this since the O'R trade. It looks pretty dicey to me. At forward anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad