New York City
Lets trade for some of the Canes Pk guys, what do they need them for anyways

Actually not joking; I hear Dwyer is ok and he plays the right side

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
This is some blog on hockeybuzz...

On Glencross

Reports are he is getting a tryout with the Colorado Avalanche. That would be a great fit and could really help bring some needed grit missing since the loss of Stastny.

Grit missing since losing Stastny? LOL.

Reason #545646 to dislike some of those media people. STOP! Just stop pretending like you know anything about my team. Im surprised they said Stastny and not Battaglia.

quesosauce

Feb 5, 2008
Denver
staz had grit?

he could defend, but grit? dutchy's gotten in more fights....staz didnt have speed or grit, he had great vison, playmaking and hockey IQ

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
There has only been one season where Comeau has been better than Glencross, last season. And even then it is dubious at best. Comeau isn't a penalty killer, he's not a scorer, he's not a grinder and he's certainly not a two-way forward. Yeah, I don't expect to like him and would be surprised if he changed my opinion of him. But as far as I'm concerned, we just signed Chuck Kobasew to a 2.4x3 contract.

Glencross can at least kill penalties and play a 2-way game. If he regained his offensive touch he'd score more than Comeau too.

He seems to have done well when used on the PK with his previous teams who used him there, hits just as much as McGinn did, and his shot isn't too much worse (where McG could hit 20, I see Comeau having the shot to hit 15). You seem to be over-reacting, but we'll find out soon enough once the games start and they're all settled in.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I've been harping about this since the O'R trade. It looks pretty dicey to me. At forward anyway.

I wonder if we start seeing Landy taking ROR's place as the defensive anchor in our top 6 who still PKs. Probably won't be to the degree he used ROR, but I see Landy's usage against the puck seeing a sizeable uptick this season.

And, I know many of you disagree with me about Duchene's two-way game improving, but I feel it has been making steady progress and if Duchene has a big year it's possible he also takes a big step defensively to start filling landy's role of the top 6 forward who sometimes PKs when we really need it. But Matty's gotta show that he's taken that next step first, even if he gets stuck cleaning up for Iginla again.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
The biggest loss to our PK was Tourns.
Varly is still here, that's all that matters. He was at .942 save percentage on the PK, which was one of the highest ever, I believe. I doubt he does that again. Considering we were 24th on the PK the year before with Tourigny, it's hard to say how much of a role he played.

Everberg should make the team for his PK ability alone.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I think improving our pp is way more pressing. I mean werent we a much worse pk team the year we won the division?
I would be way more concerned about that area of our game if Varly, EJ, Beacuh, Landy were out for long periods of time.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Varly is still here, that's all that matters. He was at .942 save percentage on the PK, which was one of the highest ever, I believe. I doubt he does that again. Considering we were 24th on the PK the year before with Tourigny, it's hard to say how much of a role he played.

I just hope he makes the team even on the 4th line. Guy always seems to make the right plays and hes about the only guy on the team who knows how to properly dump and chase.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I think improving our pp is way more pressing. I mean werent we a much worse pk team the year we won the division?
I would be way more concerned about that area of our game if Varly, EJ, Beacuh, Landy were out for long periods of time.

The good news is our PP cant possibly get any worse so even if we improve a little it will still be better than last seasons.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm

Varly giving us that and we were still 24th on the PK is worrying. Like you said, very unlikely Varly gives us that again. And our PK has traded O'Reilly for Comeau I guess.

Special teams is a worry for the season. No doubt.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Varly giving us that and we were still 24th on the PK is worrying. Like you said, very unlikely Varly gives us that again. And our PK has traded O'Reilly for Comeau I guess.

Avs were 5th in PK last season Robin. 24th the season before, which Varly played even better. Go figure.

I think Tourigny played a big role in it. Varly is obviously outstanding, and yes, we didn't lose him. I have a lot of respect for the job Tourigny and think he will be a big loss. I agree that Everberg is one of our smartest defensive players. I will be pretty mad if he doesn't make it.

On the point of this thread. Glencross is most definitely a great player to bring in on a try out basis. He has history with Iggy and Tangs, and he can be a goal scorer. When he was at his best in Calgary he was a hard working winger. And you can't have too many of them on a team.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Avs were 5th in PK last season Robin. 24th the season before, which Varly played even better. Go figure.

I think Tourigny played a big role in it. Varly is obviously outstanding, and yes, we didn't lose him. I have a lot of respect for the job Tourigny and think he will be a big loss. I agree that Everberg is one of our smartest defensive players. I will be pretty mad if he doesn't make it.

On the point of this thread. Glencross is most definitely a great player to bring in on a try out basis. He has history with Iggy and Tangs, and he can be a goal scorer. When he was at his best in Calgary he was a hard working winger. And you can't have too many of them on a team.
Sorry I misunderstood TMV's post.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I think the fact that the Avs were 27th two years in SA/60 while shorthanded explains a lot of the discrepancy between Varly's outstanding SV% on the PK and the team's poor PK numbers. They like to let Varly see a lot of shots, but that's still pretty poor to be giving up that many shots.

They only barely improved to 24th last year, but improved a lot in their PK%. I'd hazard a guess a lot of that is due to Tourigny and Roy literally teaching the team how to PK more efficiently.

Personnel wise I think it's also another sign of Brad Stuart's importance in that role, as well as ROR who went from 92 minutes in 2013-14 to 147 minutes in 2014-15.

Actually I was a bit shocked when I saw Landy only played 37:49 shorthanded last year, and drastically less than Tangs who finished with 114:30. I didn't realize it was so little.

He's really gonna have to increase his workload next year there to make up for ROR's loss. He's gonna be asked a hell of a lot next year with higher PK minutes, to go with his PP minutes, because he plays about as hard of 5 on 5 minutes as most players in the league. Luckily he's young and highly conditioned, but it's still risking burning him out down the stretch.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Id like to see Dutchy more on the pk during the preseason. And if he does well , the reg. season. Maybe we sacrifice some percentages overall but could make our overall pk units more diverse.
I like the idea of giving the opponents powerplay something to think about if they flub a pass on the blueline. Force them to have to make really good plays or its going the other way on dangerous chance. I dont think anyone is scared of Cliche or Cody getting a shorthanded break.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Id like to see Dutchy more on the pk during the preseason. And if he does well , the reg. season. Maybe we sacrifice some percentages overall but could make our overall pk units more diverse.
I like the idea of giving the opponents powerplay something to think about if they flub a pass on the blueline. Force them to have to make really good plays or its going the other way on dangerous chance. I dont think anyone is scared of Cliche or Cody getting a shorthanded break.
I don't see what that would give us. Save his strengths for 5 on 4 and offensive zone starts on even strength. He is awful defensively anyway so that wouldn't help our PK either.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I don't see what that would give us. Save his strengths for 5 on 4 and offensive zone starts on even strength. He is awful defensively anyway so that wouldn't help our PK either.

I think his speed can be utilized on pressuring the puck, and he is one of our better faceoff guys now that ROR is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad