Current top team likely to be upset in the playoffs?

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
I don't think it matters where the Islanders play. In the last few weeks, they blew out Tampa in Brooklyn, and shut out Toronto, Washington, and Columbus in their own buildings.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Jets have had issues with Minnesota all year. They seem to be motivated by their early exit last year. Only team that really truly scares me as a 1st round opponent.

Herbert Lewis

FL to AK Bolts fan
Mar 16, 2018
I would love to say you're wrong......... but sadly it has been true lol
My opinion was solely based on tradition. You might get lucky though, after all the Caps got by the Pens and won the cup. You never know.

Reactions: DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
My opinion was solely based on tradition. You might get lucky though, after all the Caps got by the Pens and won the cup. You never know.

True, the B's have had our number for sure, but we have made some nice additions. I think a lot of it is mental with our teams, but I still give the edge to Boston...until we prove otherwise.

Reactions: Herbert Lewis

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I think either Calgary or San Jose, IF they don't improve their goaltending.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
If the Leafs get home ice against the Bruins...then they will be fine. If the bruins end up stealing Home Ice again...then leafs get upset.

Calgary will also be a 1st rd upset

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Toronto because they likely meet Boston and that’s like Wylie Coyote vs the Roadrunner.
Beep! Beep!
I’m not sold on Calgary’s goaltending in the West although I like their overall team.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
It is absolutely stupid that one of Toronto or Boston will likely be out after 1 round because of this crap format. The #2 seed vs the #3 seed. Winner gets to play the #1 seed.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Depends on matchups and potential cold streaks/hot streaks heading into the playoffs, but I'd speculate Calgary.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Probably Toronto because their first round opponent won't be easy because the Atlantic division is strong.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
In the future, I'll send all of my posts to you for pre-approval. Is there an e-mail address I should use?

Anyhow, I was critiquing your reasoning, since it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Are you not familiar with the concept of a discussion forum?

As for my opinion, I don't see how one can form a good opinion until the matchups are set.
:thumbu: Exactly, I posted something very similar on p7 in the "tampa has bigger gap over 2nd place than 2nd place has over 17th place" thread.

Without explicitly mentioning it, axman15 used the "Prez Trophy curse" as a reason why TB is most likely to be upset in the playoffs. While this is common "reasoning" here at HF, it's also deeply flawed. Do I think this way mainly b/c I'm a Caps fan? No, it's mainly b/c I have a strong math/stats background ! :cool:

In a 30+ team league with a fair amount of parity, 16 playoff teams and four rounds, I'll take the field over the PT winner any season.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I don't know that they'll lose but if the playoffs started today Tampa would be playing Pittsburgh and I think that's one of the last teams that they'd want to play round 1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad