Current top team likely to be upset in the playoffs?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
So according to your math as long as the islanders have home ice in every series they will win the cup unless they play tampa. Thanks for the lesson professor. :laugh:
I think I specifically said I was talking about the first round. The point of this thread is favorites who will have an early exit.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
I think I specifically said I was talking about the first round. The point of this thread is favorites who will have an early exit.
We can agree to disagree and I know Nassau can be a madhouse but I would bet on Sid/Malkin or the SC champs over the islanders in a 7 game series regardless of where the games are played

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Da Leafs.

rushmore-burning-middle-finger.gif

Last edited:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Current playoff formatting basically assures there are no 1st round upsets.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
As a Penguins fan, I wouldn’t feel confident against the Lightning in the first round of the playoffs.

But I’m fairly confident that Lightning fans wouldn’t like that draw either. Pittsburgh has played them tough in all of their games so far and the Penguins are finely getting healthy.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
There only teams that can be upset in my mind are Tampa Bay and to a lesser extent, San Jose. Nobody else is a heavy favorite IMO

I agree. It’s not like anyone else is blowing teams away in terms of standings. The NHL, almost every year, is a bunch of teams separated by a minuscule amount of points.

Outside of an extra game at home, there typically is not too big of an advantage if any at all.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
If the standings stay the same somehow Montreal is going to end up with the easiest opponent in the first round from the Atlantic. Could see Pitt beating Tampa. If you consider Boston winning an upset that's possible too.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What I love about people naming the Leafs in this thread is they've all been tricked into calling the Leafs a "Top Team."

Reactions: Volcanologist

LukeLocomotive

Jan 18, 2018
No one thinks Nashville is in danger? We're currently "matched" with the Blues who have beaten us three times this season. Other matchups are Minnesota and a Dallas team that consistently gives us issues.

EDIT: Not to mention the worst Powerplay in the league.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
I like to read gdt of the isles opponents. If the isles win, it’s usually because of a few bounces. Or maybe if he’d have tried to pass there instead of the other there. And if the isles player was covered on that goal, we’d have won. Greiss was lucky. Lehner was lucky. We didn’t cover the right guy in the transition pass. There’s always an alternative reason when a team loses to the Islanders.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Many people are still saying they’re lucky. It’s not sustainable. They’ll fall apart after their hot streak. 55 games into the season.
The players have bought into the system and have been great. Going forward I believe the Islanders are for real and after this team gets some playoff experience and adds in the summer they will be a strong team

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I don't think anyone beating the Islanders would be a upset by any stretch. Let's say they even win the East, I can guarantee the Oddsmakers would still have them as a underdog in every series.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad