Current thoughts on Brendan Gaunce?

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
There were complaints this year though about Gaunce's leadership before he got traded.

I believe a number of Bulls posters stated they were disappointed with him.

Probably more of a frustration thing with Gaunce due to the crap team he had this year.

Subban withstanding of course.

Yep I will agree with that. It's easiest to take out frustrations on the Captain even though he literally has no say in how the organization builds the team.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
There were complaints this year though about Gaunce's leadership before he got traded.

I believe a number of Bulls posters stated they were disappointed with him.

Probably more of a frustration thing with Gaunce due to the crap team he had this year.

Subban withstanding of course.

I like to think I visit the Bulls board pretty frequently, and I saw no such thing. I recall one post *****ing about the older guys having to produce more, that's about it.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Well, I haven't seen any of them play enough (outside of highlight clips and exhibition games) to make any fair assessment but just gathering the reaction from the hockey insiders like a Sutter, it seems more so Horvat than Gaunce.

In fact, I mentioned it previously but I hope Gaunce doesn't fall into the Michael Grabner "redundant" asset category that they just give up on him.

Well it's going to be at least two years of AHL or NHL hockey before they give up on him, considering the investment, so it's hardly worth worrying about now.

Personally, I think he'll play a year in Utica, working on his pace and physicality, and then he'll be with the Canucks for good. That's one full pro season and two summers with Gary Roberts from now.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
He's got the NHL size.
He's got the drive to the dirty areas.

But he needs to work on skating, 1st gear acceleration. Looking at the pre-season, his acceleration is just behind. Even 4th line centers have better acceleration.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Good shot, a head for the game, big guy, protects the puck well, wins face-offs?

Gaunce sounds like the type of forward the Kings would be drafting. I don't think we should think of him as just a trade chip.

Agreed. Not a trade chip. This guy should be a part of this team's future. He's too versatile not to be a factor moving forward.

He should develop pace to his game as he moves into the AHL. He will have to in order to be productive. I think he has the smarts to adjust.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Not too high on him due to his speed.

I believe he's a career 3rd-4th line center at best, nothing too special IMO.

But hey, I've been wrong before.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I think he is comparable to mark McNeill

Hopefully he gets plenty of development time in ahl. He looks promising

not a big fan of comps but you might be right here, both guys are very very good solid juniors and will have to bring their lunch buckets to edge out an NHL career and could be solid 3rd liners.

Top 6 players is a bit of a stretch though IMO.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
One of Gaunce's biggest positive attributes aside from his conditioning and smarts is his leadership ability.

I remember reading an article last year where he did something similar to Iginla and donated money to a local minor hockey affiliate in Belleville for every goal he scored. I think he raised $5000 or something like that because some businesses/Bulls organization matched his contribution. I can't find the article now but it was posted last year during the lockout.

Yeah, i'm not sure that's called 'leadership'. I think that's called 'knowing you have an NHL contract worth hundreds of thousands of dollars and you're set for life if you make it to the NHL even for a few years' so you might as well look like you're real generous for now. :laugh:

I am interested in the idea of a Shinkaruk-Gaunce-Jensen line in Utica next year, if that's how things play out. An offensively creative wizard, a finisher with an outstanding release, and a big passive defensive center to shelter them a bit and facilitate what the other guys do. I think it could be a sitcom potentially...as an interesting collection of characters and style of players. :laugh:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Manny Malhotra is a bust as well. I'm still pretty high on Gaunce and I think he's an NHL player.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Just curious ... what has Gaunce demonstrated to you thus far that makes you rate him ahead of Cassels (besides Draft position, obviously).

He just isn't that high on Cassels....Lph believes tgat Dal Colle and Laughton add alot to Cassels game which you Can't really disagree with...Guance has less points/ppg due to playing on a last place team in Belleville,but now that he on Erie he should score more....that said I do think Cassels has very good vision, and passing skills its close but you can
argue each side effectivley

LolClarkson*

Young and still time to improve.

Unlike that Jensen guy. :sarcasm:

Gaunce seems like just another prospect that we have to give endless time to, who will never be good enough to make the NHL

Gillis mentioned Gaunce at the year end presser like Nonis mentioned Jesse Schultz at his.

Youth movement ! yeah right

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada
Gaunce seems like just another prospect that we have to give endless time to, who will never be good enough to make the NHL

Gillis mentioned Gaunce at the year end presser like Nonis mentioned Jesse Schultz at his.

I would disagree.

He was considered as one of the safest picks in 2012. He will be an NHL player but will it either be a safe 4th liner, 3rd line shutdown center or 2nd line power forward LW? We will have the see.

stevecanuck16

Jul 28, 2009

So every player mentioned at the year end presser will be a bust? I sure hope he kept his mouth shut about Horvat then...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad