Current thoughts on Brendan Gaunce?

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Just wondering how everyone feels about his play so far this season and the effects of being traded to a [technically wayyy better] team and an opportunity to play alongside or support Connor McDavid.

I noticed that Alexandre Grenier also had the opportunity to play with Nathan MacKinnon for some time as well in junior. Nice to see our prospects see first hand the type of talent that it takes to succeed in the NHL at an earlier part of their development.

I personally hope Brendan Gaunce sees lots of minutes at McDavid's wing or what have you.

Additionally, he was excluded from the Team Canada camp for some reason, where I think he could have contributed quite nicely.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Just wondering how everyone feels about his play so far this season and the effects of being traded to a [technically wayyy better] team and an opportunity to play alongside or support Connor McDavid.

I noticed that Alexandre Grenier also had the opportunity to play with Nathan MacKinnon for some time as well in junior. Nice to see our prospects see first hand the type of talent that it takes to succeed in the NHL at an earlier part of their development.

I personally hope Brendan Gaunce sees lots of minutes at McDavid's wing or what have you.

Additionally, he was excluded from the Team Canada camp for some reason, where I think he could have contributed quite nicely.

Not surprising that he didn't make team Canada the larger ice surface doesn't help him.

There is a bit of a numbers game at center in the future with the Canucks but the increased playoff run with Eire this year can only help him IMO.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
If anything, playing in Belleville would have helped his chances of making the WJ team.

He doesn't play alongside McDavid at all. He plays with Connor Brown and Dane Fox, and on the second PP unit (Guance is on the first unit right now replacing McDavid since he's at the WJ). This is not to say he's not playing with elite talent. Fox and Brown are the best duo in the CHL right now, and Fox is likely the best player in the OHL.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Gaunce from what I have heard is centering the 2nd line (1st line now that McDavid is with the WJ Team). Connor Brown and Dane Fox aren't bad linemates though, better than who he was playing with in Belleville.

The knock on Gaunce and the biggest reason why he didn't make the Canadian Jr Team is that he doesn't play with enough urgency. I think if he ups his urgency and gets better acceleration he will be be a bonified 3rd liner at least.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Gaunce from what I have heard is centering the 2nd line (1st line now that McDavid is with the WJ Team). Connor Brown and Dane Fox aren't bad linemates though, better than who he was playing with in Belleville.

The Fox/Brown line with Guance is the first line. McJesus plays on the second line.

Last edited:

wholesickcrew

May 7, 2010
Toronto
not surprising that he didn't make team canada the larger ice surface isn't perceived to help him despite playing much of his time on a larger ice surface in bellville.

There is a bit of a numbers game at center in the future with the canucks but the increased playoff run with eire this year can only help him imo.

ftfy.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

The knock on Gaunce and the biggest reason why he didn't make the Canadian Jr Team is that he doesn't play with enough urgency. I think if he ups his urgency and gets better acceleration he will be be a bonified 3rd liner at least.

Yeah, that's really the biggest issue with Gaunce. Or at least, the one that may be the most difficult to improve. His skating needs work as well, but that's a bit less complicated to clean up than his really 'passive' style of play all around. Trying to change the fundamental style of play he seems inclined to and bump up his intensity level isn't exactly a cakewalk. Hopefully he can elevate that level of urgency on the ice somewhat though. It's not really the sort of play style that plays well to a coach like Sutter re:WJCs, and i can't see it playing too well to what Torts demands from his players either.

Maybe seeing the way some of these other very good players on that Erie team assert themselves on the ice will rub off on Gaunce a bit. :laugh: In any event, i think playing on a team that looks poised to make a run at the memorial cup tourny could easily be more beneficial to Gaunce than spending the rest of the year 'captaining' a Belleville team that doesn't look to be going anywhere this season.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I think he's a player but what kind of one is up in the air.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
Hoping at least he can be that big solid 3rd line center pivot, best case scenario he can be a 2nd line center in like 5 years or so if he can put up 25 goals 35 assists type.

But as seen by Kassian, big guys take a looong time to develop, so another player to have patience with.

-Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

-Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.

-The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.

Potatoe1

Oct 5, 2004
Yeah, that's really the biggest issue with Gaunce. Or at least, the one that may be the most difficult to improve. His skating needs work as well, but that's a bit less complicated to clean up than his really 'passive' style of play all around.

Have to agree with you.

At camp I liked his defensive game and the touch he showed around the net, but you want your bottom6 forwards to play with intensity and bring some bite.

He's kind of an odd player to be honest. You don't normally see Canadian born first rounders the size of Gaunce, who aren't physical at all. I'm not even sure who to compare him too. Perhaps Manny Malhotra although Manny is a fantastic skater and Gaunce isn't.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Good kid, big, good defensively, good on the dot, good shot, can pass, hard to get down on him.

Oh he didn't get any points in his last two games? ****ing bust. Maybe we can package him with picks for Goc.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
He's kind of an odd player to be honest. You don't normally see Canadian born first rounders the size of Gaunce, who aren't physical at all. I'm not even sure who to compare him too. Perhaps Manny Malhotra although Manny is a fantastic skater and Gaunce isn't.

taylor pyatt

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Kids that fight and have a do or die sense of urgency might try to fast track themselves by gooning it up. I'm glad Guance isn't trying to mimic Sestito's game.

Urgency is a perception, not a trait. He just needs to be around the big team in camp to see what's needed and I think he can adapt. This is why a year in the AHL is good for so many guys.

I think "the plan" is to have a very young supporting group, as early as next season. Guance will probably be on the farm, but he'll be in the mix for call-ups, hopefully.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad