Current thoughts on Brendan Gaunce?

Potatoe1

Oct 5, 2004
Kids that fight and have a do or die sense of urgency might try to fast track themselves by gooning it up. I'm glad Guance isn't trying to mimic Sestito's game.

Urgency is a perception, not a trait. He just needs to be around the big team in camp to see what's needed and I think he can adapt. This is why a year in the AHL is good for so many guys.

I think "the plan" is to have a very young supporting group, as early as next season. Guance will probably be on the farm, but he'll be in the mix for call-ups, hopefully.

He doesn't need to fight, but you typically want to see your bottom6 forwards finish their checks and be difficult to play against.

He doesn't look like a guy who will score that much, so if he isn't going to be a physical / energy player either, he will need to be exceptionally good defensively to carve out a good NHL career.

Bieksa#3

Mar 2, 2007
I think he's going to be a asset that will be traded at the trade deadline for a player coming back. I don't see him fitting in with this organization and Torts style of play. I also think his game isn't going to translate well to the NHL.

Lundface*

Pyatt/Gaustad hybrid.

Looks like Pyatt out there in movement and skating, same size, similar shot, passiveness. Defensively solid positionally and good on the dot like Gaustad.

Gaunce may develop a meanstreak as he matures, but I don't think he'll ever consistently throw his weight around. Floor already seems like a useful 4th liner, absolute ceiling is a low end 2nd line center with a focus on defence (20-25 player)...most likely I seem him ending up as a decent 3rd line center with 15-20 type production. I'm not as high on him as a lot of Canucks fans but I was impressed with him in pre-season (I had low expectations of him)

Lord Flacko*

Good kid, big, good defensively, good on the dot, good shot, can pass, hard to get down on him.

Oh he didn't get any points in his last two games? ****ing bust. Maybe we can package him with picks for Goc.

lol.

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada
I think he's going to be a asset that will be traded at the trade deadline for a player coming back. I don't see him fitting in with this organization and Torts style of play. I also think his game isn't going to translate well to the NHL.

Good shot, a head for the game, big guy, protects the puck well, wins face-offs?

Gaunce sounds like the type of forward the Kings would be drafting. I don't think we should think of him as just a trade chip.

Bieksa#3

Mar 2, 2007
Good shot, a head for the game, big guy, protects the puck well, wins face-offs?

Gaunce sounds like the type of forward the Kings would be drafting. I don't think we should think of him as just a trade chip.

Terrible skating, limited offensive potential, passive as hell and soft?

Terrible combination for bottom 6 player and he doesn't strike me as someone with upside of top 6.

I would love to be wrong though

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think that the passive thing is complete bull****.

The guy plays on instinct and excels at finding the soft areas/playing a smart, not caveman like game.

When he finds a spot he needs to hit/get to, he's very aggressive, IMO. When he doesn't, he doesn't chase the play.

We need more players like this, especially in the bottom 6.

Pyatt is only similar physically-- he doesn't have a fraction of Gaunce's instincts.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Seems like a great third line player, and he's a center so he's more valuable for that alone. Would be disappointed if we traded him.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Pyatt/Gaustad hybrid.

Looks like Pyatt out there in movement and skating, same size, similar shot, passiveness. Defensively solid positionally and good on the dot like Gaustad.

Gaunce may develop a meanstreak as he matures, but I don't think he'll ever consistently throw his weight around. Floor already seems like a useful 4th liner, absolute ceiling is a low end 2nd line center with a focus on defence (20-25 player)...most likely I seem him ending up as a decent 3rd line center with 15-20 type production. I'm not as high on him as a lot of Canucks fans but I was impressed with him in pre-season (I had low expectations of him)

Agree with this.

Outside99*

I think Gaunce has great hockey IQ, strong positionally / excels w/o the puck, sees the ice well, strong along the boards. I see him as a Dave Bolland type who should play center. Mistake for Canada not to take him IMO. Would not trade him.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
He's not going to be traded, what a joke.

A really smart, big, serious, dedicated guy who is good on the dot, strong on the boards, plays great D, passes and shoots very well, thinks the game even better.

Right, the Canucks don't want young players like that. Only the winning teams do.

By age 25 Gaunce and Horvat are going to be the Canucks' backbone.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary

Terrible combination for bottom 6 player and he doesn't strike me as someone with upside of top 6.

I have great news, you are! :handclap:

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Prior to his most recent camp I never saw NHL upside from Gaunce. Thought his hands and feet weren't going to be quick enough to succeed in the best league in the world.

After seeing him in camp this year I believe there could be something there. Don't think he will ever be an impact player or top 6 option but if all goes right he could be a big, defensively responsible 3rd line centre that chips in a bit of offense.

I agree with those that question whether he plays with enough pace. That even stood out for me when watching him in Belleville. That's just not going to fly in the NHL. IMO if he wants to make it, he will need to improve his quickness and work rate. Much like what Kassian has been doing over the last 8-10 games.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com

Terrible Skating - WRONG. He may not have amazing dynamic skating skills but they aren't bad. He just needs to get quicker feet.

Soft - WRONG. The guy is a beast and isn't afraid to go in the dirty areas. His attitude and how he approaches the physical aspect of the game reminds me of Joe Thornton early years, he doesn't run around looking for the physical game but when he does engage in it, he wins.

Limited Offensive Potential - Gaunce may not have one skill that stands out but he's a smart player who if he gets the right chemistry with his linemates will be a consistant 40 point 2 way player.

If Gaunce can fix those two parts of his game I think he could be a similar player to Dave Bolland/Brandon Dubinsky

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
The unfortunate part about him not making the World Juniors is that it might have increased his trade value a little. He could be a useful bottom 6 player, but if he has residiual "1st round pick" trade value, he and Jensen would be guys I'd look to move.

He's a hard worker, at least, so I'd be surprised if he doesn't at least become a 4th liner in the NHL with his skillset.

Mofletz

Aug 28, 2006
The unfortunate part about him not making the World Juniors is that it might have increased his trade value a little. He could be a useful bottom 6 player, but if he has residiual "1st round pick" trade value, he and Jensen would be guys I'd look to move.

He's a hard worker, at least, so I'd be surprised if he doesn't at least become a 4th liner in the NHL with his skillset.

100% agree with you.

btdvox

Jul 5, 2013
Vancouver
Did I miss something where 3rd line centers suddenly meant nothing?? This guy is what MG wants on the third line. He's been looking for a Malhotra replacement for a long time, couldn't find one so he drafted one.

bsjezz

Nov 28, 2011
gaunce also has the best leadership potential of any of the current prospects. i'm really excited for this guy's future with the canucks - it's hard waiting so long in a system that values careful development over instant satisfaction, but it's going to pay off down the road.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
gaunce also has the best leadership potential of any of the current prospects. i'm really excited for this guy's future with the canucks - it's hard waiting so long in a system that values careful development over instant satisfaction, but it's going to pay off down the road.

Gaunce and Horvat definitely seem to bleed that leadership je ne sais quoi.

Betamax*

Gaunce and Horvat definitely seem to bleed that leadership je ne sais quoi.

Well, I haven't seen any of them play enough (outside of highlight clips and exhibition games) to make any fair assessment but just gathering the reaction from the hockey insiders like a Sutter, it seems more so Horvat than Gaunce.

In fact, I mentioned it previously but I hope Gaunce doesn't fall into the Michael Grabner "redundant" asset category that they just give up on him.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Well, I haven't seen any of them play enough (outside of highlight clips and exhibition games) to make any fair assessment but just gathering the reaction from the hockey insiders like a Sutter, it seems more so Horvat than Gaunce.

In fact, I mentioned it previously but I hope Gaunce doesn't fall into the Michael Grabner "redundant" asset category that they just give up on him.

One of Gaunce's biggest positive attributes aside from his conditioning and smarts is his leadership ability.

I remember reading an article last year where he did something similar to Iginla and donated money to a local minor hockey affiliate in Belleville for every goal he scored. I think he raised $5000 or something like that because some businesses/Bulls organization matched his contribution. I can't find the article now but it was posted last year during the lockout.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
One of Gaunce's biggest positive attributes aside from his conditioning and smarts is his leadership ability.

I remember reading an article last year where he did something similar to Iginla and donated money to a local minor hockey affiliate in Belleville for every goal he scored. I think he raised $5000 or something like that because some businesses/Bulls organization matched his contribution. I can't find the article now but it was posted last year during the lockout.

maybe i'm stating the obvious here but this makes him a good person not a leader.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
maybe i'm stating the obvious here but this makes him a good person not a leader.

A leader exemplifies class and sportsmanship (along with other qualities) on and off the ice. So yeah, it does contribute to his leadership capabilities.

Watching Gaunce in the OHL playoffs last season only confirms how good of an on ice leader he is.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
A leader exemplifies class and sportsmanship (along with other qualities) on and off the ice. So yeah, it does contribute to his leadership capabilities.

Watching Gaunce in the OHL playoffs last season only confirms how good of an on ice leader he is.

There were complaints this year though about Gaunce's leadership before he got traded.

I believe a number of Bulls posters stated they were disappointed with him.

Probably more of a frustration thing with Gaunce due to the crap team he had this year.

Subban withstanding of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad