Current KHL players who can make an NHL roster?

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Although there are many ex-NHL players in the NHL you can't say they could crack an NHL roster today because that is why they're playing in Russia, because they weren't good enough. Among those who either haven't played in the NHL yet but probably could make an impact or left for the KHL despite still being good enough,my candidates are:

Andrei Markov
Sergei Mozyakin (but maybe too old now)
Kirill Kaprizov
Nikita Gusev
Vadim Shipachyov
Slava Voynov
Ilya Sorokin
Ilya Samsonov

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Although there are many ex-NHL players in the NHL you can't say they could crack an NHL roster today because that is why they're playing in Russia, because they weren't good enough. Among those who either haven't played in the NHL yet but probably could make an impact or left for the KHL despite still being good enough,my candidates are:

Andrei Markov
Kirill Kaprizov
Nikita Gusev
Vadim Shipachyov
Slava Voynov
Ilya Sorokin
Ilya Samsonov

I think that's a bit oversimplified approach, as there are quite many guys in the KHL, who would easily play on the 4th line of a lot of NHL teams, but, since they wouldn't want to do it for 4th line money, they left to the KHL (guys like David Desharnais).

So yeah, in terms of this thread I'm talking about:

1) former NHL bottom-sixers, who left for more money.
2) NHL-quality players, who's NA carreer didn't went too good, so they returned (Tryamkin, Aaltonen, Omark, Shipachyov etc.)
3) top prospects (at least of Mamin's level)

And if you write down a list of those, it won't be small at all.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well to me the real problem lies in the evaluation of who can make and who can't. Mamin made it but Sekac or Plotnikov which I don't think anybody would have called before it happened. Those were guys that seemed perfectly capable to play in the NHL.

The other problem is player willingness to adapt to the NHL. Remember Zuccarello was a hair away from moving to Europe for good. Omark is another similar case, the talent is obviously there but it just didn't work.

So in the end, just like Caser says, the list of players who could make it is pretty long. Who of those would actually make it is another story. I would love to see Barabanov and Kuzmenko give it a try when the time comes.

powerplaymaker

Mar 5, 2018
Helsinki
A few from Jokerit:

1. Sami Lepistö - Had a very good season and I'm sure he would be an asset to many NHL teams. Atleast as 7.th d-man, but propably could make it on the 3rd d-pair night after night.

2. Peter Regin - a solid C and without injuries would easily be 3rd/4th centerman in most low-tier NHL teams.

3. Brian O'Neill - versatile forward with speed. Could easily see him on 3rd line of NJ or Van for example.

4. Nick Jensen - was indeed very close to the NHL deal he has been looking for. Decided to continue with Jokerit.

That's for starters... There might be a few other players with "special abilities" wich might help them to crack a place in the Show.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
3. Brian O'Neill - versatile forward with speed. Could easily see him on 3rd line of NJ or Van for example.
Well NJ gave him 22-game chance and he didn't do anything with it. Hard to imagine a more favorable scenario for him to make it.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I really wonder about the KHL calibre of player. Leading goal scorer last year......Nigel Dawes,
KHL might be a good developmental league for younger players but virtually all older players aren't NHL special.
Gonna be interesting how Kovalchuk does in the next three years with LA. I'm not that optimistic for the Kings, I just don't think he gonna be worth his contract.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I really wonder about the KHL calibre of player. Leading goal scorer last year......Nigel Dawes,
KHL might be a good developmental league for younger players but virtually all older players aren't NHL special.
Gonna be interesting how Kovalchuk does in the next three years with LA. I'm not that optimistic for the Kings, I just don't think he gonna be worth his contract.

Somehow Nigel Dawes is always mentioned as a negative example, yet I find it rather strange. When he came to the KHL I don't think anyone questioned his talent: he was only 26 and he was tearing up the AHL that year and a year before he was 0.5 ppg in the NHL. Still he wasn't exactly too good in the KHL in his first two years, yet he developed his game there to finally reach his prime as a high-level goal scorer. I think he could easily score 20 goals in nowaday NHL if he really would want to go there (for relatively small money I mean).

Reactions: Aerrol and Peanut

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Should I start worrying about the caliber of an NHL player since Mats Zuccarello, for example, has higher career PPG there than he did in the KHL??

It isn't as black and white as you put it.

Dawes' only problem is he is 172 cm. It wouldn't be the problem anymore and I have no doubt he would become a solid 50 point player in today's NHL. 10 years ago, it was different and hell, he still almost made it (0.5 PPG in 66 games for the Flames in 09/10). So at the end of the day, 1) Dawes is a way better player than people in NA think; 2) the fact that he lead the league in scoring is circumstantial, it doesn't mean he is the best player in the league, he just has a lot of offensive tools to demolish weaker competition, almost free reign on what to do on the ice and plays 5 minutes per game more than your usual KHL 1st liner.

Look at Dadonov, he scored 30-40 points for Donbass while I think there is no doubt he is an NHL talent anymore. So scoring totals in the KHL aren't as cut and dry as they might seem.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Gusev can be an impact player in the NHL for sure. Kaprizov can and will. I hope, Tryamkin will keep developing. He definitely needs to improve his consistency level, and at his peak he'll be very good. I think, Gavrikov will play a solid top4 game in his 1st NHL season, when he comes to the league, but his ceiling is even higher.

Reactions: Retroglyphs

tsamolotoff

May 7, 2017
Moscow
People simply don't realize that the game is quite different here (different rules, different rinks), and hockey itself is actually more defensive both in the regular season and the playoffs. You don't have to be as beefed up as in the NHL, so skaters like our Justin Azevedo can make a big dent at the highest level of play here (almost ~1.5 ppg in the last playoffs). Also, since there's no hard cap in the KHL, rosters can be more balanced, rather than having 3-4 star skaters with 10M+ long term contracts and 20-something grinders or prospects who play for a pittance, so many 2nd-3rd liners can have more success here rather than there (like our Burmi or Sekac), where they either have to up the game or degrade themselves into grunts who don't have to score.

Reactions: Aerrol and Fixxer

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

Andrei Markov
Kirill Kaprizov
Nikita Gusev
Vadim Shipachyov
Slava Voynov
Ilya Sorokin
Ilya Samsonov
That's an obvious list out of NA. All players known over there for some reason. Btw Samsonov is now technically not a KHL player.

I can give you a list just as long from only my team:

Markov (still worth something in a limited role)
Lyamkin (promising young D-man just coming into his own.)
Zaripov (he always was the caliber and he still is)
Azevedo (NHL favors smallish skilled guys nowadays)
Sekac (he has come a long way. He is a different player now from what he was when he came from NA. He definitely could make a NHL roster. The quetion is if he is interested by now.)
Tkachyov (obviously there is skill. Again, the question is if he wanted to be a 3rd liner in the NHL.)

And I am not gambling on many other choices. I mean if Soshnikov, Barbashev or Slepyshev can have a contract in the NHL then there a lot more guys on our roster to consider.

That said, probably noone from this list will ever play a NHL game. This is how it works IRL.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I'd wager a good 15%+ have the skill to play in the NHL. The bigger question is, of those players which are capable and willing to adjust their games to a North American style (sure, some teams play more of a Euro game name), to live across the world that speaks a different language, and have the patience to wait out their time to play, possibly even toiling away in the minors. I can't blame players like Ship or or Khokh for bolting and taking the easier money and more familiar life, they are good players. Just in the NHL like in a lot of places, you have to earn it.

Not a lot of players have it in them to make those changes in their life. One thing they don't tell you, and you don't realize all that well as fans, is it can be incredibly lonely. Especially if you're coming over without family. Of those 15%+ I think maybe 5-10 players right now have what it takes physically and mentally to make the shift.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
well, with teams starting to switch to Finnish sized rinks, it will be easier to adjust to the NHL for the KHL players. I like the European sized rinks, but boy the game looks slow on them today.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I'd wager a good 15%+ have the skill to play in the NHL. The bigger question is, of those players which are capable and willing to adjust their games to a North American style (sure, some teams play more of a Euro game name), to live across the world that speaks a different language, and have the patience to wait out their time to play, possibly even toiling away in the minors. I can't blame players like Ship or or Khokh for bolting and taking the easier money and more familiar life, they are good players. Just in the NHL like in a lot of places, you have to earn it.

Not a lot of players have it in them to make those changes in their life. One thing they don't tell you, and you don't realize all that well as fans, is it can be incredibly lonely. Especially if you're coming over without family. Of those 15%+ I think maybe 5-10 players right now have what it takes physically and mentally to make the shift.
More like 30-40% have the skill. Again, North Americans tend to overvalue the NHL. The culture shock is much less of a factor I might guess. The much bigger thing is the role factor. A guy who is a top 6 player in the KHL might have no desire being even a valued 3rd liner on a one way contract in the NHL with 12 mins TOI. Making reasonable money, playing a lot, maybe even being some local star in the KHL might be more desireable. The other side of the same factor is NA mamagement. When they choose between a NA or even some swedish or finnish guy and a Russian for the bottom 6, given a comparable skill set, demands and all who will they choose? The answer is a bit obvious. And it's common sense. So guys who are not projected to have potential to break a NHL top 6 or top 4 basically know theit chances too. They are better off in the KHL. So talking about the pure potential to be an NHLers is one thing, talking about realistic chances of Player X making the move is a completely different one.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Not even close, to be honest. Most teams on the bottom part of the standings have hardly any such players.
1.You can ship 90% of SKA over there. So what's your point? Weaker teams having weaker rosters?

2.No, there are players on bottom feeders who could be NHL bottom 6 players.

3.It's probably your usual overrating of everything west of Pskov.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
1.You can ship 90% of SKA over there. So what's your point? Weaker teams having weaker rosters?

2.No, there are players on bottom feeders who could be NHL bottom 6 players.

3.It's probably your usual overrating of everything west of Pskov.
1. My point is that there are way less teams like SKA than teams who have 1-2 NHL caliber players at best. Even some PO teams between those.
2. There are but they are few and far between.
3. Oh that's harsh. I call for more territories for me. West of Nizhny Novgorod maybe.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
1. My point is that there are way less teams like SKA than teams who have 1-2 NHL caliber players at best. Even some PO teams between those.
2. There are but they are few and far between.
3. Oh that's harsh. I call for more territories for me. West of Nizhny Novgorod maybe.
1.You aren't great at math or statistics for that matter. If SKA can deliver 20 POTENTIAL NHLers, that means a few other teams can have none and the percentage would still be where I put it. And that is while it is nearly impossible to survive in the KHL without talent at all. Even bottom feeders have at least one or two players with some skill.

3.I doubt you could live with the discrepancies of the russian reality and your picture of it.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Russian doesn't directly translate into English. This complicates the hell out of the question. There are probably lots of Russians that could play but nobody here can talk to them.

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
The top players could sure make it, but boy...the disparity is greater than in any other league. Some of the worst teams have ridiculouysly bad players playing for them. Vadim Pereskokov at eliteprospects.com I dont even know if a guy like this is the worst the KHL has but to claim that every KHLer has the potential to "be hidden in the NHL and no one would notice" is lol worthy. The worst players are finnish 2-tier calibre (and yes, the KHL is still way better than the finnish league overall, just the parity is weaker)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad