TV: Curb Your Enthusiasm - Season 9

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Eric Deggans, TV critic at NPR, give it a bad review as well. However it's not the first time he's got shows wrong. He even clearly didn't understand the premise of the show, something that if you've ever seen Curb is quite obvious.

I don't have a problem if people don't like the episode. I thought it was pretty good, but not great. What I don't get is the moralizing or judgment of a fictional TV show that some people do. Larry's making fun of a lesbian couple, how awful.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think moralizing and treating a show like it has real life implications is fair game, but only if you moralize the themes/ideas actually communicated by the show itself rather than individual characters or things that characters do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amerika

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
What a horrible review. I feel sorry for people who can't separate real life from entertainment.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/10/curb-your-enthusiasm-premiere-review.html

Ehh, I think the critic makes a lot of valid points. I agree that the fatwa stuff didn't work, was way too cartoonish. And the scene with the lesbian couple arguing in the house felt forced (as much of the episode did). The critic even says he's a huge fan of the show, so it's not simply a matter of him being offended and/or taking it too seriously.

Liminal Cat

Oct 11, 2011
The door scene felt really phony. It's the type of joke that an MRA would come up with to "own" feminists.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
How about Richard Lewis cover up during his convo with Larry at PAM? He couldn't hold his laughter in so he worked it into the script LOL.

Gotta love Larry complaining about walking a few extra steps.

Not the best episode but nice to have it back. Can't wait to see how Larry ruins Jeff's daughters wedding. You know they aren't going to let that one go off without a hitch.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Wow - I am surprised you all seemed to have loved it so much. I liked it and am very happy to have it back, but I thought it was below average for the series on the whole. It seemed a little tongue-in-cheek at times - recapping catch phrases and whatnot - which I didn't care for. They also seemed to have shot it a little grander too, maybe to play up the series return as an event? I prefer the small universe feel of the original too. I am sure they will find their stride, but I don't think they have found their rhythm yet.

It almost seemed like it was a movie of the show instead of a new season starting

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I just watched the episode expecting a drop-off but I thought it was fine. I saw some of the leaks as well, and thought they were good too (they didn't feel as cinematic as the first one, either, which is a good thing). There was one casting choice that I thought was totally ridiculous, though.

Last edited:

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
BRUNETTE:What are you doin'?... Are you looking at my breasts?... You're looking at my breast... Aren't you.
LARRY:I'm not looking at your breasts, I'm trying to get to my seat.
BRUNETTE:You ARE looking at my breasts... (to someone behind her) He's looking at my breasts.
LARRY:Yeah, you and your special breasts. Just excuse me, please?
BRUNETTE:Please just go by without stepping on my foot.
LARRY:You wear that dress 'cause you want people to look at your shoes, right? Is that it?

:laugh:

TheCanasianfrasian

Aug 18, 2006
Montreal
latest episode was kind of meh.

A lot of screaming going on i thought. Leon was the only one that really cracked me up.

Hi my name is something johnson and i can't open this pickle jar aahhhhhhhhhhh

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
I still enjoy the show, but it is quite over the top now. It seems HBO is really pushing this 'social assassin' and Larry not afraid of saying things that nobody else can say.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Larry ruining all his friends' relationships was pretty funny I'd say.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Finally caught up. First 2 episodes were difficult to get through, but the rest have been pretty great IMO even if a bit over the top at times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad