News Article: 'Culture change' necessary in Senators dressing room

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Most plugs have the common sense not to be media ****es.

Boro is smart. Being the guy to talk to media makes him more of a fan favorite, and will give him a much longer career than he'd receive based on his skillset and work ethic alone. Money in the bank.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
So, basically you responded to my question of "why does a players on ice abilities matter when it comes to addressing the media" with "he's a plug"

Nice job, completely ignored the question and showed you have no legitimate response. A+ for effort. Three sentences with no relevent content.
So basically you ignored the two pertinent questions I asked that would help you understand the context.

A+ effort.

Now care to answer.

How often in Sens history has a 6/7 D plug been a media spokesperson?

How many teams have a 6/7 D plug as their media spokesperson?

philb613

Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa
LOL at all you hating on Boro for talking. I think our fans need a culture change. Hating on a guy who shows he gives a shit about the direction of the team and who literally would give his body up to win. Sorry he's available and willing to talk. Hate on the management all you want, and if you don't think Boro should be on the team blame them, taking shots at the guy for getting injured and hit in the head is some weak stuff, even for these forums.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
That is telling. If Ken’s being soft on his interview subject (Boro) and taking the editorial blame, he’s also leaving it up to us to fill in the blank on who’s to blame. Is Karlsson not engaged with the team? Is management jerking him around? It’s a lot of flak. Who’s it thrown up for?
The team as part of the character assassination.

philb613

Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa
So basically you ignored the two pertinent questions I asked that would help you understand the context.

A+ effort.

Now care to answer.

Deryk Engelland

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I like Boro. Not necessarily a guy I would want in my top 6 D, but I like him. Problem is, he contributes little. It doesn't matter how hard you're willing to work if your hard work produces mediocre-at-best results. He throws the occasional big hit, but never anything earth shattering the likes of which Volchenkov could do, and I've yet to see him make a hip check like Methot could. As for people comparing him to Neil... just... no. At Boro's age, Neil was already both a better fighter and overall player, and because he wasn't a defenseman, when Neil did go to make an overly risky hit, it was far less likely to turn into a goal in our net. On top of that, even in his last days as an NHL player, Neil was still the better fighter. Boro is tough, and he's willing to fight anyone, but a willingness to get your ass kicked over and over again isn't always useful. Having the one guy on the ice who nobody else could beat is useful. Neil could be that, Boro can't.

As for a culture change? Well, sure, but let's examine something. When was the last time we were CONSISTENTLY good? Probably the lead up to the 2007 finals, right? We haven't been consistently good since then, but before that were we one of the best teams in the league for years. What has changed in that time?

General Manager has changed, twice.

Captain has changed, twice.

ALL of the players on the roster at that time are now gone, so the players have all changed.

Head coach has changed a billion times (before you try to correct me on this, its called hyperbole, look it up).

Fans? No real impact on the locker room culture.

But who IS still left over from that time. One guy:

Melnyk.

He bought a team that was already great, and since then, we've reached the point where people talk about moving our team, players who love the city and are loved by the city have been driven out, sometimes twice over (Alfie). Melnyk bought a great team, and has successfully turned it into the biggest embarrassment in the league. Some of you might say "Buffalo!" "Edmonton!" "Arizona!" "The Islanders!" No. Buffalo has at least got other major pro sports teams to either tide the fans over or share in the anger. Edmonton has a rich history that doesn't date back to a time before colour TV, and have one of the best players in the world signed for a long while. Arizona are in the desert where a majority of people probably don't care, which cushions their embarrassment. And at least the Islanders TRIED to sign their superstar without then trying to assassinate his character - though to be fair, Tavares already did that to himself a bit by going to the evil empire, of all teams.

Melnyk is the common denominator. EVERYONE else has been blamed and scapegoated. Coaches, players, captains, management, hell someone probably tried to blame the zamboni drivers. Melnyk is the ONLY common denominator since this team went from threatening to win the conference every year to struggle to even see first round play offs in consecutive seasons. Culture Change hasn't come from anyone else, and he's the only guy left. He's the only person who hasn't suffered the consequences of failure after failure after failure. That culture will not change while he's around.
Dont forget that Dorion is also a common factor here

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Boro is a hard guy not to like if you've met him. He's actually way smarter than most people give him credit for. He's been living super modestly for years and is already planning for life beyond hockey. I get it though, people just see the toothless fighter on TV. He's a smart, thoughtful guy.

Agreed.

I don't mean to knock Boro, because we all know his heart is in the right place. He pushes cars out of snowbanks, he'll stop pucks with his face to keep his job.

philb613 said:
LOL at all you hating on Boro for talking. I think our fans need a culture change. Hating on a guy who shows he gives a **** about the direction of the team and who literally would give his body up to win. Sorry he's available and willing to talk. Hate on the management all you want, and if you don't think Boro should be on the team blame them, taking shots at the guy for getting injured and hit in the head is some weak stuff, even for these forums.

I'm not blaming Boro for speaking his mind, and saying the right things.

But I can just see the media using his words to say all kinds of things, as Ken Warren may be doing in this very article.

He's going to have to be careful.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Most plugs have the common sense not to be media ****es.

Clearly you have not paid attention to the league for the last 30ish years, then.

The "plugs" have always been media guys. Especially when they are the "I just put my head down and work hard, and outwor the opponent, and work work hard work hard" types.

Sports media have alway gravitated towards those guys. It's like the oldest sports trope in history. I get that you have a bias against Boro (because we all do, let's be honest), but you making weird statements like this that have no connection to reality doesn't change the fact that Boro is basically the modern-day equivalent of every "work hard" quote in North American history since the dawn of time.

Like, you don't like Boro. We get it. Most of us don't. But he's nothing new - just the newest iteration in a decades-old loooooooong line of folksy "try hard" plugs that attempts to appeal to the everyman.

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On

A+ effort.

Now care to answer.

1st I wouldn't say he is 6/7 .. maybe 5/6 at worst

2nd, we have had plenty non star players speak up (McGrattan comes to mind).. other teams have too (Belak was for Toronto). The thing is with the other 29 teams we do not get to hear from those lesser voices because they are buried just on local media (like ours are too). We only hear quotes from the stars from those other teams because the national media only cares about their opinion .. but trust me every local media outlet has a lesser guy that is good for quotes

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
This must be the third or fourth 'culture change' the Senators have needed in the last decade. Every time they have a bad season it's blamed on leadership and culture. It's getting pretty tiresome.

Anyway - get the lube ready, because based on player comments and the tone of the media I don't think the Sens will bring EK to camp. I've already purchased my Julius Honka jersey.

darnok

Mar 15, 2014

A+ effort.

Now care to answer.

Derek Engelland.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
LOL at all you hating on Boro for talking. I think our fans need a culture change. Hating on a guy who shows he gives a **** about the direction of the team and who literally would give his body up to win. Sorry he's available and willing to talk. Hate on the management all you want, and if you don't think Boro should be on the team blame them, taking shots at the guy for getting injured and hit in the head is some weak stuff, even for these forums.
Yup. Here's the thing. EVERYONE has the right to speak. Just because a few fans place zero value in Boro's comments does not mean that his comments have no value. I was interested in what he had to say. He is an actual 'insider' in that he is there in that room and has a good handle on what's going on. The question people should be asking is that if they don't believe Boro should open his mouth, who do they think should be talking? And then they should wonder why those people aren't saying anything.
Crapping on the one guy who seems to actually care right now... SMH.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Why are people shitting on Boro?

Where is Karlsson? Why hasn't he addressed the media? Where is Dorion? If you are a leader then step up like Boro and some others have. Stone and Duchene have spoken to the media to get to the fans.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
If Karlsson isn't going to talk, then the speculation will continue.

Only he can stop it, and really as team captain, I would have thought he would have addressed all this by now.

I agree though it really is starting to seem that a lot of the guys in the room aren't too enamored with Karlsson and it isn't just one guy. That is a major problem that has to be fixed one way or another.

Again though, that's just speculation and guessing by me from what we are hearing.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Yup. Here's the thing. EVERYONE has the right to speak. Just because a few fans place zero value in Boro's comments does not mean that his comments have no value. I was interested in what he had to say. He is an actual 'insider' in that he is there in that room and has a good handle on what's going on. The question people should be asking is that if they don't believe Boro should open his mouth, who do they think should be talking? And then they should wonder why those people aren't saying anything.
The thing is this "culture" that has been around the Sens has gone on for a long time and the big problem is guys like Boro, Smith and Phillips who are "good guys" who talk lots on and off the ice but just make mistake after mistake and aren't held accountable. Dumb, lazy penalties and bone headed choices are rewarded here 'cause they're "glue guys". The organization is willing to totally look the other way if they can put on the appearance that they're salt of the earth, hard worker types and its infuriating. Actual ability to do a job is less important than this meaningless PR bullshit and hammering away at cliches.

Boro is part of the trash that needs to be taken out to the curb along with his coaches and GM who enable him.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

I think people are more crapping on what the local media is likely going to do with his comments. At least I am.

"Hard-working and loyal Canadian player has issues with the leadership and work ethic of other players on the team."

I'm not sure he even realizes how his earnestness could be used to invent all kinds of rifts and strife in a team that has seen tons of it already.

Smash88 said:
I agree though it really is starting to seem that a lot of the guys in the room aren't too enamored with Karlsson and it isn't just one guy. That is a major problem that has to be fixed one way or another.

Personally, I think he's mentally checked out from the Senators, and the rest of the team knows it.

I don't blame him, this season is a lame duck period while we wait for him to be traded or he leaves.

In that way, maybe it is going to be a distraction to have him around the team even if he's playing well for a contract or a trade at the deadline.

At the same time, we HAVE to get maximum value for him, regardless of the short-term pain. We can't afford to just toss him aside in the name of team unity. Looking at the roster, we're not much of a team anyway.

Reactions: PeskySens

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Boro is getting the brunt of quite a bit of frustration. He did not create this situation and somebody or a few inside that locker room have to step up and try to keep the group together , especially with so many young guys scratching the surface.. Hockey is a team sport and the Sens need to rely on the whole being greater than the sum of the parts to have any success at all. I personally like Boro's comments more than Anderson's. I really don't care where the voice that gets things started in the right direction comes from as long as it gets started in the right direction. I don't think you need to be able to dangle and be a superstar to have a voice that is respected in the room. Maybe Boro can spur others on.. but it is an up hill battle with the way the team has their 3 best players staring at UFA on the horizon , their #1 goalie "not minding" a trade and wanting to be rid of the drama... He's a vet he should be trying to be part of the solution. If this was the stick boy coming out and trying to get the guys to rally around each other It would be a start. No harm done here by Boro. This is all on Dorion and Melnyk imo.. don't blame Boro for the mess and trying to make the situation better.

CTC

Oct 9, 2014

I have never played organized hockey and the dressing room maybe is not really the same as in football, but I played for 9 years and what you are saying holds true in my opinion. It wasn't always the guy who could run a 4.0, or who was leading in receiving yards and TD's but a lot of "glue" guys who could take what the coaches and management were trying to implement and make sure the locker room bought in on the field. Maybe it's a different culture entirely due to football's diversity over hockey but when you have 4-5 guys who may not be lighting it up on the stat sheet but absolutely will make that sacrificial play to get the team the 1st or clutch field position...players listened to them and followed by example and rallied.
I do not have issues with Boro at all, especially if he continues his play from last season. People being shitty saying he has no right to talk to media or fans because he is a #6 D need to lighten up. The only time I have seen Ek as captain material was on our run to the conference finals...literally the only time I saw any fire from him or being visually vocal. I'm not asking for Messier but just because you are the best player does not always mean you should be Captain.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
I have never played organized hockey and the dressing room maybe is not really the same as in football, but I played for 9 years and what you are saying holds true in my opinion. It wasn't always the guy who could run a 4.0, or who was leading in receiving yards and TD's but a lot of "glue" guys who could take what the coaches and management were trying to implement and make sure the locker room bought in on the field. Maybe it's a different culture entirely due to football's diversity over hockey but when you have 4-5 guys who may not be lighting it up on the stat sheet but absolutely will make that sacrificial play to get the team the 1st or clutch field position...players listened to them and followed by example and rallied.
I do not have issues with Boro at all, especially if he continues his play from last season. People being ****ty saying he has no right to talk to media or fans because he is a #6 D need to lighten up. The only time I have seen Ek as captain material was on our run to the conference finals...literally the only time I saw any fire from him or being visually vocal. I'm not asking for Messier but just because you are the best player does not always mean you should be Captain.

Hockey locker rooms are exactly the same way.

I guarantee Boro has tons of respect in that room.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Why are people ****ting on Boro?

Where is Karlsson? Why hasn't he addressed the media? Where is Dorion? If you are a leader then step up like Boro and some others have. Stone and Duchene have spoken to the media to get to the fans.

I LOVE that Boro wants to band together with his teammates and try to be part of the solution.

Running his mouth off with the media creates more problems than it helps. Case in point Warren's negative spin job in this article. Just shut up and get to work quietly behind the scenes to make things better.

f*** the media. The players should give them nothing. They've either shit on the Sens or been used as mouthpieces by the organization, like Garrihack.

How exactly would it help the situation to have EK speak publicly? I don't want him to negotiate through the media. Do you really think if he shared his honest opinion it would help the situation?

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Boro is getting the brunt of quite a bit of frustration. He did not create this situation and somebody or a few inside that locker room have to step up and try to keep the group together , especially with so many young guys scratching the surface.. Hockey is a team sport and the Sens need to rely on the whole being greater than the sum of the parts to have any success at all. I personally like Boro's comments more than Anderson's. I really don't care where the voice that gets things started in the right direction comes from as long as it gets started in the right direction. I don't think you need to be able to dangle and be a superstar to have a voice that is respected in the room. Maybe Boro can spur others on.. but it is an up hill battle with the way the team has their 3 best players staring at UFA on the horizon , their #1 goalie "not minding" a trade and wanting to be rid of the drama... He's a vet he should be trying to be part of the solution. If this was the stick boy coming out and trying to get the guys to rally around each other It would be a start. No harm done here by Boro. This is all on Dorion and Melnyk imo.. don't blame Boro for the mess and trying to make the situation better.
Boro is getting blame for running his mouth to the media.

All power to him for trying to step up and work on the issue. Just keep it out of the media. It does far more harm than good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad