Post-Game Talk: Cue the Hysteria - Game 4 Plus/Minus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I would be shocked if both Fleury and Bylsma are gone. If Vokoun comes in and turns things around Fleury will get the blame and Disco will be safe for a while longer. If Vokoun comes in and we still play like crap, Bylsma will get the blame and Fleury will be safe for a while longer. I just can't see Shero getting rid of both at once.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
I would picture one of two things happening tommorow night.

1. The game is incredibly low scoring. Vokoun keeps the Pens in it, Nabokov has a rebound game. Game ends 1-0 or 2-0. I'd give the Pens a 70-30% chance here.

2. the game is a repeat of game 1. Nabokov is out for game 6, and its a battle of the backups.

I just cannot see Vokoun coming in and playing as bad as Fleury has. I can't see any goalie at the NHL level playing like that. It was a rare treat to see that level of suckage at a professional sport. A result of an organization and fanbase coddling a guy who should have been analyzed and scrutinized many many times prior to this game. He finally hit rock bottom on the national stage. A spectacular showing to match the spectacular amount of negligence that led to it.

Or option 3: Another 5-4 games where out D plays terrible and leave Vok out to dry.

Do people not remember how bad Vok looked early in the year when the team wasn't playing defense?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I would be shocked if both Fleury and Bylsma are gone. If Vokoun comes in and turns things around Fleury will get the blame and Disco will be safe for a while longer. If Vokoun comes in and we still play like crap, Bylsma will get the blame and Fleury will be safe for a while longer. I just can't see Shero getting rid of both at once.

Well, we're 2-2 in Round 1, so it's still very early in the process. Let's see what happens but I gotta believe Fleury's played his last game as a Pen. Disco? I would think he would get to keep his job if we make it to the East finals. Less than that I would think he's done.

Tafkak

Feb 2, 2005
Novi, MI.
The one guy asked about did the Islanders take away your break-out and had some defense-specific elements to his question, but mostly just a bunch of marshmallows questions instead of bean-balls.

That would be Tim Benz, who seems to be the only one who isn't afraid to ask some straight up questions... sometimes

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
Or option 3: Another 5-4 games where out D plays terrible and leave Vok out to dry.

Do people not remember how bad Vok looked early in the year when the team wasn't playing defense?

This....does everyone forget what happened against the Flyers earlier this year when our d was playing like @$$ and Vokoun was in net. He played horribly and also allowed quite a few bad goals...including the game winner from behind the goal line.

I'm glad Vokoun is starting, but unless the entire team plays better than the last 3 games, I expect the same result.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
I feel like i have to be obnoxious because very few people who follow the Pens want to hear or read it. I've been warning about this situation for years now. He has never really been a good goalie. Not compared to what else is out there. His fundamentals have always been crap. He overcompensated with acrobatics that excited his fans, but were ordinary saves if his angles and timing were correct. He seems to have a lot of trouble with his peripheral vision, especially in the Tampa series when they scored repeatedly from behind him. That all adds up to a really mediocre NHL goaltender, who has been extremely fortunate to have a starting job on one of the flagship teams of the league.

What i don't like is all the fans turning on Dan over this. Dan is not sitting in the crease letting turds in. Despite how bad the goalie has been, his team has tied and has kept the losses close. I saw those defensemen working miracles last night to keep shots from hitting the net. You can't ask for more from your D then that. You gotta get saves from your goalie. There is still a possibility that Vokoun turns this ship around and the Pens make a deep run. Dan would look like a hero if that happened.

There is no possibility that Fleury rebounds at this point. He is left on the side of the road now. Probably one more short run with a different team before the inevitable occurs.

HCDB has made a number of very poor decisions, even when we were winning. It's well documented that he refused to adjust, both in system and lineups.

That said, I disagree about Fleury never turning it around. If we advance, he'll get one more chance. Especially if Vokoun struggles at some point

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I'm basing it on what the players are saying. Now, it could very well be just them defending their friend even though he's not getting the start. But when the guys are going out there with this "Fleury is still our #1 goalie" mentality, it doesn't bode well for Vokoun starting.

Fast forward to now, as always I have no idea why people take player/coach/GM interviews seriously/read into them.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
If we wanna talk about goalies, and it's certainly a valid conversation, I'd love to know who we're getting. Miller is probably the only option. I don't want to be the Flyers searching for someone all the time. I know I probably sound like a crazy person, but at least Fleury's won a Cup and has come up big in the past. I'd rather bank on him than feeling around in the dark for a goalie every couple years.

domaug*

Nov 27, 2011
Archbald, PA
If we wanna talk about goalies, and it's certainly a valid conversation, I'd love to know who we're getting. Miller is probably the only option. I don't want to be the Flyers searching for someone all the time. I know I probably sound like a crazy person, but at least Fleury's won a Cup and has come up big in the past. I'd rather bank on him than feeling around in the dark for a goalie every couple years.

i agree. if they decide to give up on Fleury (which, at this point, i'm not even against as long as the return is suitable), they should inquire about Miller.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
I'm not sure Vokoun will do all that much better if the team keeps playing like they have, but I don't think the team will keep. I think the goalie change wi give them a pretty big kick in the arse and tell them to get it together. A long time member of the core just lost his job due to his (and partially their) crummy play.

Of course, Maybe Vokoun will stand on his head regardless. I hope he doesn't have to.

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base

So, it would better to watch him crap the bed for the next 5+ years?

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
If Luongo gets bought out, I'd like the Penguins to pursue him.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston

I'd like to see how MAF does under a different coach. We've seen Smith and Elliott go from terrible to stars and Bryz go from a star to a head case just because of the system the team in front of them plays.

Get rid of DB and his "system" and see if MAF can't turn it around.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
So, it would better to watch him crap the bed for the next 5+ years?

Okay, so who do you want that we can definitely acquire? Also people need to stop acting like he's the only problem. Play like the team you're billed as and this series isn't even in question. Vokoun will fare no better if they play the same I just cannot wait to see the reaction if they play the same way the next game. Enough with the sole blame on one player.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
That it hasn't happened speaks volumes about what the players really think of Fleury. You can see it on their faces. Sure, they'll tell us they "support" him and hes a "good" goalie. They know the drill. But the looks on their faces last night showed me how they really felt. the "Here we go again with this BS" looks on Orpik and Niskannen's faces is the truth.

Deep down they are RELIEVED.. this ordeal can be put behind us and we can play hockey again. And not suck.

Adams and Crosby also had the same looks on various soft goals. Adams did the "look up to heaven" thing and Sid the "did you really just smash my car trying to parallel park with that much space" thing.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I'd like to see how MAF does under a different coach. We've seen Smith and Elliott go from terrible to stars and Bryz go from a star to a head case just because of the system the team in front of them plays.

Get rid of DB and his "system" and see if MAF can't turn it around.

UGH this again.

There's no way to defend the 3rd goal, the 4th goal, and the 6th goal. No system will fix that.

A headcase is a ****ing headcase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad