CSS Final Rankings

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Being a follower of the LHJMQ, its a freaking joke that Beaulieu and Huberdeau are ahead of Couturier.

Once people will realize that Huberdeau and Beaulieu are playing on one of the best team of the LHJMQ in the past 20 years, there stats are inflated a lot and both aren't as good as Couturier. Sean is doing his thing for 3 years now, he was already a stud at 16 years old in the playoffs and his team this year isn't really good, despite that he posted an ridiculous +55.

And its not like I'm biased or anything, I'm from St-Jerome, the same city where Huberdeau is born and played his hockey. He imrpoved a lot and is a really good player, he is just not nearly as the complete package of Couturier.

The thing to remember is they are projecting potential here. Couturier is in fact better than either of those guys right now - most of his critics would probably agree to this too. But who will be better in 4 years is the question. Couturier is almost a year older than Huberdeau, so that is also a factor.

And CSS some times gets it right. Or is at least on the right track.

Back in '06, people on these boards attacked CSS hard after their rankings came out. The big issue was the ranking of Jordan Staal at #2 in NA.

That year, Staal was simply a ppg player. A big frame, good moves, nice skating, but still, 68 points in 68 games doesn't scream of top pick. He looked like he might be a nice checker. Setting aside the ranking ahead of Toews, most were outraged he was ahead of guys like Derrik Brassard, James Sheppard and Peter Mueller. All of these guys had produced at a much more elite pace and all were top 10 picks. Fans thought CSS were idiots for having Staal love fest, and most believed it was simply because of his brother.

Fast forward a few years, and while the ranking ahead of Toews was probably wrong (most others had that wrong too), putting Staal ahead of those other top 10 picks was the right call. And the critics of CSS that year transformed into cricket chirps pretty quickly.

I'd take Couturier ahead of those guys without hesitation, because I think he is so safe to be a solid scoring line center, but that doesn't mean the other guys don't have as high (or perhaps higher) upside. CSS focuses on that. Rightly and wrongly some times.

phil macrackin

Sep 28, 2005
Siemens can't skate with the puck and handle the puck like Beaulieu but I would take him because he is the better all around package. He has that big shot and and the physical aggression....Rob Blake potential. He has better pro potential than Beaulieu. To me Beaulieu is nowhere near Huberdoue level or even Hamilton either. He is below Murphy too. At best you can make a case for him of who you prefer between him or Seimens.

CSS has had no love for Strome, IMO similar to skinner last year. They had him ranked 34 or something in NA in January! lol

Strome at worst should be #4 or 5 on that NA list

RNH
Landeskog
Couturier
Huberdoue
Strome
Oops, brain cramp. Forgot about Hamilton, for some reason. Make Beaulieu the THIRD d-man off the board, behind Larsson and Hamilton.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Wow, Jesse Forsberg and Mitch Topping basically fell off the face of the earth. I guess I havent been monitoring them closely but its still surprising to see.

Again....using CSS as a list of players vs a ranking he is now on the list.
I basically watched every game of his this year......he is a good player that will go in my mind far higher than the ranking.

Others think highly of him as well- http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/...cegeorge0201/pg-producing-plenty-of-prospects

Pokechecker

Mar 25, 2010
First of all I want to clarify that I'm Thomas Roost, Scout Switzerland/Germany, for Central Scouting Europe. I do write this in my personal name and not in the name of Central Scouting, means the following statement is my personal opinion and not an official Central-Scouting-Statement, but still I want you to know who I am and not hide behind a pseudonym.

I do know for sure that all my colleagues at CS work pretty hard for this list, go to hundreds of games, write game-reports and fill in skill-checklists and think very critical about criss-cross-rankings. We all have a great, great job and are very proud to be a small tiny part of the NHL. I want you to know that Central Scouting has to finalise theses lists always already by the end of March, means, the lists don't take into consideration about what happens in the playoffs. Our lists are always first and all other lists can adjust to it, can put in what they see in the playoffs and what they see in the WJC-U18 and in the NHL-combine. The NHL-franchises have to finish their lists even later, just shortly before the draft. Of course, their lists have this time-advantage, so it's unfair to compare a March-list with a May- or June-list.

The typology of a scout is that he always knows an unbelievable amount of players, he did watch them three times, four times, ten times or whatever and he did watch the same amount of games of other players. But you will ALWAYS find some guys who know a certain player or certain players better than the scout (e.g. a season-ticket-holder, a coach, assistant-coach). For these people it's quite easy to criticise the one or the other ranking of a player, but the same people never have a complete overview, so they always can cherry-picking their critics. To make is short. We scouts know a lot about a lot of players but there are always people who know more about certain players. Fair enough if they give critical comments but it's unfair to badmouth a whole list or a whole organisation. Yes, it's also business, yes, Central Scouting wants to market the upcoming draft and yes this is entertainment-business but what's bad about this? I think it's a very good idea to promote our sport, to promote the NHL and to promote the yearly draft. Yes, I'm 100% sure that a lot of scouting-staff of NHL-franchises don't follow our lists and have different, sometimes even quite different opinions and lists. No, don't believe that their lists are much better or even better. If all the franchises would open up their books with their lists and you would compare it with Central Scouting or other published lists I'm also 100% sure that the critics could be very well criss-cross and if you analyse what happened in the past I give you easily a good amount of NHL-players who where never on a CS-list...but...I could also give you easily a good amount of NHL-players who were on our lists, year by year - didn't get drafted by an NHL-team but later still became NHL-players... This is the way it goes. This doesn't mean that we don't want to be accurate and good, of course we want to be the best in predicting players but everyone has to understand that these predictions are very difficult and basically on very thin ice. If someone tells you that he knows for sure that this or that player will play or will not play in the NHL...you have already a good indication that this someone is not a good expert... It's usually not the big-mouth people who are the best experts because they do know that they know much less than what they would like to know...

So, I just want to support my colleagues in telling that I know that they are all passionate hockey-guys who do a very good job and work very hard, in the end there is a list to discuss and if we discuss it's a perfect hockey-time but we should never lose the respect about the work of other experts, of other scouts, journalists and fans. Nobody knows the truth in hockey, everybody is some sort of expert and everybody is right in a way and we all can learn from eachother, every day.

Enjoy the lists, discuss and have fun!

Thomas

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
First of all I want to clarify that I'm Thomas Roost, Scout Switzerland/Germany, for Central Scouting Europe. I do write this in my personal name and not in the name of Central Scouting, means the following statement is my personal opinion and not an official Central-Scouting-Statement, but still I want you to know who I am and not hide behind a pseudonym.

I do know for sure that all my colleagues at CS work pretty hard for this list, go to hundreds of games, write game-reports and fill in skill-checklists and think very critical about criss-cross-rankings. We all have a great, great job and are very proud to be a small tiny part of the NHL. I want you to know that Central Scouting has to finalise theses lists always already by the end of March, means, the lists don't take into consideration about what happens in the playoffs. Our lists are always first and all other lists can adjust to it, can put in what they see in the playoffs and what they see in the WJC-U18 and in the NHL-combine. The NHL-franchises have to finish their lists even later, just shortly before the draft. Of course, their lists have this time-advantage, so it's unfair to compare a March-list with a May- or June-list.

The typology of a scout is that he always knows an unbelievable amount of players, he did watch them three times, four times, ten times or whatever and he did watch the same amount of games of other players. But you will ALWAYS find some guys who know a certain player or certain players better than the scout (e.g. a season-ticket-holder, a coach, assistant-coach). For these people it's quite easy to criticise the one or the other ranking of a player, but the same people never have a complete overview, so they always can cherry-picking their critics. To make is short. We scouts know a lot about a lot of players but there are always people who know more about certain players. Fair enough if they give critical comments but it's unfair to badmouth a whole list or a whole organisation. Yes, it's also business, yes, Central Scouting wants to market the upcoming draft and yes this is entertainment-business but what's bad about this? I think it's a very good idea to promote our sport, to promote the NHL and to promote the yearly draft. Yes, I'm 100% sure that a lot of scouting-staff of NHL-franchises don't follow our lists and have different, sometimes even quite different opinions and lists. No, don't believe that their lists are much better or even better. If all the franchises would open up their books with their lists and you would compare it with Central Scouting or other published lists I'm also 100% sure that the critics could be very well criss-cross and if you analyse what happened in the past I give you easily a good amount of NHL-players who where never on a CS-list...but...I could also give you easily a good amount of NHL-players who were on our lists, year by year - didn't get drafted by an NHL-team but later still became NHL-players... This is the way it goes. This doesn't mean that we don't want to be accurate and good, of course we want to be the best in predicting players but everyone has to understand that these predictions are very difficult and basically on very thin ice. If someone tells you that he knows for sure that this or that player will play or will not play in the NHL...you have already a good indication that this someone is not a good expert... It's usually not the big-mouth people who are the best experts because they do know that they know much less than what they would like to know...

So, I just want to support my colleagues in telling that I know that they are all passionate hockey-guys who do a very good job and work very hard, in the end there is a list to discuss and if we discuss it's a perfect hockey-time but we should never lose the respect about the work of other experts, of other scouts, journalists and fans. Nobody knows the truth in hockey, everybody is some sort of expert and everybody is right in a way and we all can learn from eachother, every day.

Thomas

Thomas, thank you for your post!

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
I think it says it all when I say I havent agreed with any list or any draft that has actually occurred. Only in hindsight, 5+ yrs later is it clear what the list should have looked like. And then, there are still arguments. What does that tell you?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
What people just need to realize is that scouting is not a science it's an art. Different people value different attributes, skills and accomplishments differently.

In short: every scouting list is subjective. You may not agree with the list, but that doesn't it wrong. I don't agree with some of this list, but it's another viewpoint from people that have probably seen these players a lot more than I have.

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
I think most reasonable people understand that projecting players is a very, very hard. There are more variables than the player's skill. It matters how the organization handles the player. It matters whether the player continues to exhibit will power to make it big. It matters whether the player suffers an injury that sets him back. Look at a guy like Grabner -- who could have predicted he would have flourished with the Islanders of all teams.

As for the rankings, for the sake of having fun and discussion, in IMO:

Best NHL player in 5 years: R. Murphy
Best American in 5 years: M. Nieto
Most underrated: Morrow, Clendening
Most overrated: Saad, Ambroz, and Cantenacci.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
SAAD being over-rated we do not even have to wait 5 years to find out...as certain as I was that JACK SKILLE in 2005 wasn't going to be a top 6 forward guy lin the NHL and so should not have been a top ten pick -I'm positive SAAD willnot be a top six NHL forward either...as I said with SKILLE,my advice to NHL teams with SAAD: AVOID!! AVOID!!

Yes he's dropped in rankings over the course of the year--but probably not far enough yet...

Conversely ---STEFAN NOESEN is every bit as good as anybody ranked mid-first to develop into an impact NHL'er-- whther 1st 2nd or 3rd line role -but I'd put him MORE of a certainty than many of those mid-firsts in ranking..to have him only as an early 2nd--well if that actually happens ,some team is getting a steal that late...

THERE IS ONE HUGE CAVEAT i would like to point out in all the hype about the rankings no mater which list we look at -it is this: THERE IS STILL debate about how good or bad this draft really is...

NOW it is only pre-tournament games ---BUT in 3 pre-world u-18 games NEITHER

MARK MCNEILL nor MARK SCHEIFELE has lit up the scoreboard with goals or multipoints...

For such highly ranked mid-teens (Central Scouting says MCNEILL is #14NA skater and SCEIFELE #16 ---for them not to be dominating the scoreboard and some lesser ranked or 2012 guys yet putting up more--WHAT DOES THIS SAY ABOUT possibly the poor quality of the 2011 draft?

We'll have to see if this is just a minor hiccup--but if their poor impact continues in the tournament --MAYBE by mid-teens this draft is already a pile of manure...

AND if MCNEILL who did so well in the wHL and SCHEIFELE who put up points on a terrible youngre-building Barrie team ,can't do it at the World U-18's ,then MAYBE
RNH's 106 pts relative to MCNEILL's 81 in the whl isn't going to be that impressive ...
OR maybe STROME's production vs. SCHEIFELE has to be taken with a grain of salt...

IN other words,WHAT IF this really is that poor of a draft crop?

"Greatness" may be in shorter supply than first thought.

ALSO it might focus on some GOALIES as the real BPA's earlier than thought --MAYBE PERHONEN or HELLBERG is a much better proposition than the pile of forwards or D-men from a bout the mid-fisrst round level?

IF PERHONEN shines at the Worlkd U-18's that might be a very important question teams willbe asking themselves.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
SAAD being over-rated we do not even have to wait 5 years to find out...as certain as I was that JACK SKILLE in 2005 wasn't going to be a top 6 forward guy lin the NHL and so should not have been a top ten pick -I'm positive SAAD willnot be a top six NHL forward either...as I said with SKILLE,my advice to NHL teams with SAAD: AVOID!! AVOID!!

Yes he's dropped in rankings over the course of the year--but probably not far enough yet...

Conversely ---STEFAN NOESEN is every bit as good as anybody ranked mid-first to develop into an impact NHL'er-- whther 1st 2nd or 3rd line role -but I'd put him MORE of a certainty than many of those mid-firsts in ranking..to have him only as an early 2nd--well if that actually happens ,some team is getting a steal that late...

THERE IS ONE HUGE CAVEAT i would like to point out in all the hype about the rankings no mater which list we look at -it is this: THERE IS STILL debate about how good or bad this draft really is...

MARK MCNEILL nor MARK SCHEIFELE has lit up the scoreboard with goals or multipoints...

For such highly ranked mid-teens (Central Scouting says MCNEILL is #14NA skater and SCEIFELE #16 ---for them not to be dominating the scoreboard and some lesser ranked or 2012 guys yet putting up more--WHAT DOES THIS SAY ABOUT possibly the poor quality of the 2011 draft?

We'll have to see if this is just a minor hiccup--but if their poor impact continues in the tournament --MAYBE by mid-teens this draft is already a pile of manure...

AND if MCNEILL who did so well in the wHL and SCHEIFELE who put up points on a terrible youngre-building Barrie team ,can't do it at the World U-18's ,then MAYBE
RNH's 106 pts relative to MCNEILL's 81 in the whl isn't going to be that impressive ...
OR maybe STROME's production vs. SCHEIFELE has to be taken with a grain of salt...

ALSO it might focus on some GOALIES as the real BPA's earlier than thought --MAYBE PERHONEN or HELLBERG is a much better proposition than the pile of forwards or D-men from a bout the mid-fisrst round level?

IF PERHONEN shines at the Worlkd U-18's that might be a very important question teams willbe asking themselves.

50......keep in mind your viewing of MM is next to zip......and zippo live.
Also, NHL teams are not passing judgement on him for point production alone.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Also you must question the annual # of U.S. high scholl kids that get ranked higher than some older more proven guys who excell in their higher level of Jr. competition..

This seems to me like recommending a pig in a poke instead of a more probable sucess candidate...Your picking 17 going on18 yr old high schoolers vs. 19 amd 20 year old Jrs --some who blossomed a bit later and are now "stars" in their leagues -it seems preposterous to bet on some of the mid-round high schoolers when the 6th or 7th round late bllomer Jr. stars are there ..

Now that does not prevent NHL teams from grabbing these late bllmers earlier and postponing some of the high school bets till the final rounds -that happens in actuality..However it is a beef with central scouting that they place soo many risky longshots ahead of more likely candidates ..

AN example: BLAKE COLEMAN (a late'91) who led the USHL in scoring with 92 pts in 58 GP (the last USHL player above 90 was Thomas Vanek in 2001/02 with 91 in 53GP) and set the ALL-TIME USHL mark on record for +/- at +52 --this guy central Scouting (who had not even rated him at mid-term),now concedes he worth #198
in Final ranking (7th round)...

Now you cannot be that good -dominating a very good league -- and be #198 while they rate myriads of probably haven't got a prayer high schooler longshots (albeit younger) ahead of that kind of impact performer-IT MAKES NO SENSE..

This is joke is why you must take Central Scouting or any draft list -especially after the"conensis " top 35-40 with a grain of salt..Past the top 40 it is a real guess -that is all it is--and you can still debate the order in the top 40 ..

After that--throw a dart/get lucky ...or use some measure to take a more educated guess by comparing actual accomlishement in the same league as you rate others in ..IF they have proven something -it may be a much better pony to bet on than some ghoped for upside that never materializes --especially from high schoolers that cannot be put in the top 40 list...

LeafsKGM

Mar 20, 2011

Thomas

Thank you for this. Explaining to the people who dont get that you cannot base a player of just stats have to actually watch them play the game.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Also you must question the annual # of U.S. high scholl kids that get ranked higher than some older more proven guys who excell in their higher level of Jr. competition..

This seems to me like recommending a pig in a poke instead of a more probable sucess candidate...Your picking 17 going on18 yr old high schoolers vs. 19 amd 20 year old Jrs --some who blossomed a bit later and are now "stars" in their leagues -it seems preposterous to bet on some of the mid-round high schoolers when the 6th or 7th round late bllomer Jr. stars are there ..

Now that does not prevent NHL teams from grabbing these late bllmers earlier and postponing some of the high school bets till the final rounds -that happens in actuality..However it is a beef with central scouting that they place soo many risky longshots ahead of more likely candidates ..

AN example: BLAKE COLEMAN (a late'91) who led the USHL in scoring with 92 pts in 58 GP (the last USHL player above 90 was Thomas Vanek in 2001/02 with 91 in 53GP) and set the ALL-TIME USHL mark on record for +/- at +52 --this guy central Scouting (who had not even rated him at mid-term),now concedes he worth #198

Now you cannot be that good -dominating a very good league -- and be #198 while they rate myriads of probably haven't got a prayer high schooler longshots (albeit younger) ahead of that kind of impact performer-IT MAKES NO SENSE..

This is joke is why you must take Central Scouting or any draft list -especially after the"conensis " top 35-40 with a grain of salt..Past the top 40 it is a real guess -that is all it is--and you can still debate the order in the top 40 ..

After that--throw a dart/get lucky ...or use some measure to take a more educated guess by comparing actual accomlishement in the same league as you rate others in ..IF they have proven something -it may be a much better pony to bet on than some ghoped for upside that never materializes --especially from high schoolers that cannot be put in the top 40 list...

Fair enough....but again lets remember the NHL CSS crew work for the NHL clubs and the NHL clubs want a list of players.
They do not want or care about a ranking....individual clubs do their own.

pokerface1

Sep 16, 2010

Vanek was a full 2 years younger(17/18) than Coleman(19/20) during the seasons that they each scored over 90 pts. Also, in Vanek's prior season as a 16/17 y.o. he averaged more than a ppg

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Did Blake Coleman not have a very serious leg injury? That can have a huge affect on a draft status unless the player is already playing in a higher level of comp league.

koh19

May 19, 2006
Fribourg
Do any of you guys think Inti Pestoni is going to be picked? He's ranked 133rd.

His fellow teammate from Ambri Gregory Hoffman is ranked 11th of the Euro list.

As an 18 yo, he led Ambri Piotta of the Swiss Elite League in points (11+16= 27 pts)

Pretty impressive.

headsigh

leave at once!
Oct 5, 2008
Atlanta
ofthesouth.blogspot.com

I'm curious, what about Saad makes you think he will bust? Out of the US-based wingers in the draft, would you take Saad, Tyler Biggs or Seth Ambroz?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad