CSS Final Rankings

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
How can the NHL even accept to post that under their name?

I mean, the full fourth line of Saint-John is in front of players such as J-G Pageau, Anton Zlobin and Philippe Maillet (they aren't even rank).

C'mon... Nathan Beaulieu isn't even a 1st rounder... That's a shame.

If I am a GM and scout team arrive with this rank, I would tear the sheet right in front of them and fire them one after one...

I think their goal is seriously to be worse year after year...

I stopped reading after that.

team_alex

Jun 23, 2006
New Brunswick
While I don't agree with a lot of things on this list, I think this year is a lot more clouded then most.

There's a ton of subjective projecting to be done with this year's group.

Therefore, I don't think anyone should be surprised by the deviations. This isn't a black-and-white year.

Kevin Malone

Jul 3, 2009
Having Namestikov at 11 and Khocklachev at 29 proves just how much of a joke this list is.

CSS is always underrating Windsor Spitfire players and keeps coming to bite them in the as$.

Last year comparing T Hall to Parise while comparing B Connoly to Forseberg was a joke.

Here's some other CSS gems.

2009 Kyle Clifford rated at #182, drafted #35/Ryan Button rated at #23, drafted at #86/Erik Haula rated at #57, drafted at #182
-one of my favorites: Danny Mattson rated at #53 goes undrafted

2010 isn't much better. I could throw darts at a dartboard and get better results. It seems as though NHL teams don't put much stock into CSS lists.

YNWABoston

Aug 3, 2005
Boston, MA
How can the NHL even accept to post that under their name?

I mean, the full fourth line of Saint-John is in front of players such as J-G Pageau, Anton Zlobin and Philippe Maillet (they aren't even rank).

C'mon... Nathan Beaulieu isn't even a 1st rounder... That's a shame.

If I am a GM and scout team arrive with this rank, I would tear the sheet right in front of them and fire them one after one...

I think their goal is seriously to be worse year after year...

If you dont think Nathan Beaulieu is a first round pick, than I would be very curious to see your top 30-40 prospect list. I'm sure it would be much better than 10 scouts who day in and day out scout these players for a living:shakehead

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
Yeah mclogan at 125 NA only is a steal, ppg, hes having a great playoffs this year i wonder if his stock will rise, i know he is only 5'9 160

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
These CSS rankings are almost always terrible and nowhere close to reality, watch EJ McGuire talk about prospects and you'll quickly see why, his comparisons are always atrocious. This list is somewhat of a joke, Beaulieu above all of Couturier, Strome and Murphy? I think not.
People love McGuire and it really pours out now that hes dead but McGuire was one of the big reasons these were always awful. Strange too because he probably saw a large portion of them live.

Definitely agree with you.

Taking shots at people who have just passed away, yeah you guys are awesome, hiding behind the anonymity of the internet. Have some respect.

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
www.thescoutingreport.org
Having Namestikov at 11 and Khocklachev at 29 proves just how much of a joke this list is.

CSS is always underrating Windsor Spitfire players and keeps coming to bite them in the as$.

Last year comparing T Hall to Parise while comparing B Connoly to Forseberg was a joke.

2009 Kyle Clifford rated at #182, drafted #35/Ryan Button rated at #23, drafted at #86/Erik Haula rated at #57, drafted at #182

2010 isn't much better. I could throw darts at a dartboard and get better results. It seems as though NHL teams don't put much stock into CSS lists.

What's wrong with Haula at 57? He's proven to be a great NCAA player thus far as only a freshman.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Taking shots at people who have just passed away, yeah you guys are awesome, hiding behind the anonymity of the internet. Have some respect.

I would have done it when he was alive (And I have) and I'd say it in real life too. I didn't agree with his opinions, doesn't mean I didn't respect him then or now that hes passed. You don't show much respect by assuming that.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Keep in mind the main purpose of CSS is to provide a list of players.......the rankings mean little as the individual teams rank the players themselves...obviously.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Keep in mind the main purpose of CSS is to provide a list of players.......the rankings mean little as the individual teams rank the players themselves...obviously.

Yeah, people complain alot about the rankings, but really...I would really like to see some people even try to put together a ranking of over 200 players, from North America alone.

It's a good tool to have access too, even if some of the rankings are wacky and way off in the end.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Rankings are never right. Why should anybody complain about it? It's all perspective. It's good debate fodder but you should never flame a list.

There has never ever ever been a perfect mock draft. EVER.

Nobody knows the future. Leave it that that.

marty26

Apr 7, 2011
I don't think Beaulieu is better than Couturier but i think he should be second D after Larsson. But it all depends on what a team wants, if they are in need of a D beaulieu could go before couturier but it's unlikely.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
I don't think Beaulieu is better than Couturier but i think he should be second D after Larsson. But it all depends on what a team wants, if they are in need of a D beaulieu could go before couturier but it's unlikely.
I think you're confused...

LeafsKGM

Mar 20, 2011
I didn't see how they could get worse but oh my they got worse.

They're consitenly not in line with teams at the actual draft. So I don't know why we bother with them anymore.

The likely Calder winner is a second round pick according to CSS.

If you are reffering to Skinner he was ranked by most scouts as a high 1st/early 2nd. It was not untill his amazing playoffs that he kept going up. In fact he was not considered a top 3 round pick untill mid way rankings

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
If you are reffering to Skinner he was ranked by most scouts as a high 1st/early 2nd. It was not untill his amazing playoffs that he kept going up. In fact he was not considered a top 3 round pick untill mid way rankings

It was still a joke he was ranked 34th overall almost at the 3rd round of the OHL playoffs (Where Kitchener was eliminated). CSS saw he was 5'10 and they keept him so low.

There is no way you can defend that rating, it was awful and Skinner was a lock for the first round even then.

LeafsKGM

Mar 20, 2011
Although I do not agree with some of the list based on live viewing of almost all of the OHL players (seasons tickets in Kitchener) Some of you on this board need to calm down. You act like your scouts but have you actually traveled around North America to watch the payers, or just have views on players based on 3 minute youtube videos.

LeafsKGM

Mar 20, 2011
It was still a joke he was ranked 34th overall almost at the 3rd round of the OHL playoffs (Where Kitchener was eliminated). CSS saw he was 5'10 and they keept him so low.

There is no way you can defend that rating, it was awful and Skinner was a lock for the first round even then.

First off the css list came out in April 7th last year. Which is before right around game 1 of round 2....not "almost the 3rd round of the playoffs"
I am not saying they are perfect but criticizing a list when you have only watched the OHL talent play live is simply not fair. Watching skinner play for a year it was obvious he has serious Offensive skill and is a tremendous skater but there were questions marks about his game. I (a biased ranger fan who thinks murphy is the best player in the draft) didnt think Skinner would make an impact like this and I doubt even Cariolina thought he would do this in his first year. The point is it is a draft and scouts are ranking players from what they see not thier PPG average like the majority of this board does

Last edited:

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

Wait, you think that's the point of the lists? You really think they're meant as the be-all end-all of every opinion?

The joke is that people take these rankings so seriously, and get so offended when something isn't to their liking.

Mountainside

Oct 25, 2009
Ah. I saw a Saint John poster before say he was their number 1 defensemen.

Well still, doesn't he play top powerplay?

Murphy was Kitcheners 3rd defensemen last year as a 16 year old and almost had the same amount of points. The way some people talk about him...I just don't see it when I watch him. His game to me screams nothing special and I don't think he'll ever be more than a #3 or 4 in the NHL.

Obviously people know who he is but does Central Scouting? It doesn't seem like they've seen him much.

Ya he QB's one of the PP.. hard to say top one in SJ they could run about 4 units out better than most teams could run one..I would personally rank him 3rd on their D corps right now.. Gelinas is older and a more experienced.

I'm with Marcpiquesfan here. Beaulieu's a nice player and all.. and I could be very wrong.. but I've seen him 30+ times since his midget days in SJ and if he's a 5-10 overall pick it's gonna be a weak draft. He could eventually QB an NHL PP but I just don't think the brains are there. I've seen people say he's soft though.. he can actually chuck em pretty good.

I've also seen people say he's a safe pick. I don't see that at all.. pretty boom/bust IMO.. could be a 40-50 pt dman or could never play a game

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
First off the css list came out in April 7th last year. Which is before right around game 1 of round 2....not "almost the 3rd round of the playoffs"
I am not saying they are perfect but criticizing a list when you have only watched the OHL talent play live is simply not fair. Watching skinner play for a year it was obvious he has serious Offensive skill and is a tremendous skater but there were questions marks about his game. I (a biased ranger fan who thinks murphy is the best player in the draft) didnt think Skinner would make an impact like this and I doubt even Cariolina thought he would do this in his first year. The point is it is a draft and scouts are ranking players from what they see not thier PPG average like the majority of this board does

Thats not my point, CSS putting Skinner in what likely would be mid second round (Not just NA Skaters) was a joke. Skinner could have been back in junior this year and that rating would still have been horrible. I don't think teams had their opinion changed from a second rounder to a top 10 pick in 3-4 weeks regarldess of his amazing playoffs.

That 34 was ridiculously low and he should have been higher no question about it.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
It was still a joke he was ranked 34th overall almost at the 3rd round of the OHL playoffs (Where Kitchener was eliminated). CSS saw he was 5'10 and they keept him so low. There is no way you can defend that rating, it was awful and Skinner was a lock for the first round even then.

CSS put together their list/ranking during scouting meetings the last fews days of March, 1st few days of April and released them on the 7th of April.

How does this equal the 3rd round of the OHL Playoffs?
The 1st round was not even complete when these meetings were ongoing.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
They don't seem to like many overagers. Shinnimin, Tynan and Kichton aren't even ranked? Although they have Noebels (March 92) at 49 and Joel Lowry (Nov 91) at 95.

4thliner*

"Sean Couturier is a good hockey player, but there were players who got better," Chris Bordeleau, Central Scouting's chief QMJHL scout, told NHL.com. "This was Sean's third year in the league and (Ryan) Nugent-Hopkins is such a great, skilled player, so there's nothing you can do about that. Right now as a group (at Central Scouting), we all feel Gabriel Landeskog will probably play in the NHL next year -- he's ready. We have Nathan Beaulieu and Jonathan Huberdeau, who have both taken giant steps and improved immensely. Huberdeau has NHL hands right now.

"Dougie Hamilton has really shown what he's capable of doing. Thing is, yes, Couturier is sixth, but that doesn't mean the sixth guy couldn't go first or the first guy go sixth. We're just projecting that these guys will play in the NHL, so the first one could be as good as the sixth.

weirdest draft ever

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
CSS put together their list/ranking during scouting meetings the last fews days of March, 1st few days of April and released them on the 7th of April.

How does this equal the 3rd round of the OHL Playoffs?
The 1st round was not even complete when these meetings were ongoing.

I couldn't remember when they released them so I assumed it was on the 11th or 12th like this year.

Regardless, there is no sitatuon where you can defend that rating. He scored 50 goals in the toughest CHL league, he was not a bad skater, he was not bad defensively, he was a leader, a clutch player who was extremlely talented.

I don't care that they don't do these lists as the end all be all rankings, the NHL sure acts like these are all accurate and they're the best. Fans who don't go on this site would have no clue that CSS isn't for "Real rankings". Anyways, there was no way he should have been that low.

Look at the players above him.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectbrowse.htm?cat=1&year=2010

Etem, MacFarland, Straka, a bunch of highschool players. Thats an absoulute joke and you can't say these were right at the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad