Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Good to have Vasily on board.

Wrong Zaitsev

5563906_f520.jpg

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Lets not get too ahead of ourselves.

Wouldn't be the first time a top player from a different league couldn't handle it in the NHL.

For next year ill cautiously put him on the third pair (Does he speak English? Can he keep up with NHLers? Can he play on the small ice? Can he play in Babs system?

I think cautiously keep him in the Cody Franson realm. Third pairing on a good team who can be the shot from the point on the PP.

Might be a good option to put him with someone with a bit more experience than a Percy or a Corrado though.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Nice!

A subtle yet noticeable change from the previous management regime - I can't see Burke or Nonis signing a Russian.

Indeed, quite so. While Burke was a big fan of free wallets, he would never look at a wallet of Russian-made variety. (Don't think he's ever drafted a Russian period)

Good to have the sniper on our side.

VasilyZaitsev.jpg

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
I was pretty certain hed be signing with us look at all the pics of him with Toronto gear on

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Good to see our expectations are in check

:sarcasm:

I have to agree, people think an undrafted guy who is 23yrs old can step into 1st pairing lines in his 1st season and be effective, might be A LOT disappointed, people you have to remember that he will be playing on a much smaller ice and because of that things happen at a much faster pace, there will be a significant learning curve. I cant remember the last time an undrafted player stepped in and played good 1st pairing D.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I have to agree, people think an undrafted guy who is 23yrs old can step into 1st pairing lines in his 1st season and be effective, might be A LOT disappointed, people you have to remember that he will be playing on a much smaller ice and because of that things happen at a much faster pace, there will be a significant learning curve. I cant remember the last time an undrafted player stepped in and played good 1st pairing D.

Exactly .. He could be a top pairing defenseman .. Or compliment Rielly well in the role.. But I'd expect a good adjustment period to the NHL at first. Probably will have ups and downs in the first few months before steadying the play .. His offense might take some time to come through as he adjusts as well.

I have faith Babcock can turn him into a good top 4 defender no doubt, but that will take some time. He'll be very useful on the PP at the start and probably play in more limited minutes otherwise as he adjusts.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

I think Chris Tanev is currently the best undrafted D in the NHL who is now (he didn't start there) 1st pairing D.
Hopefully this works out for us in the same way.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Soshnikov was signed in March last year. So it may be once they are eliminated from the playoffs that they are allowed to sign, but it's for the following year.

An offer has probably already been presented for the 2016-17 season & he'll hopefully sign once his team is eliminated, or sooner if that is allowed.

Way to go Shanny, great acquisition.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Even after Zaitsev we need to do some work to strengthen our defensive core. I believe the prospects who can make an impact in the NHL are not really that close at the moment.

We need to instill some talent there for sure. Perhaps invest a couple of high picks next year.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I think Chris Tanev is currently the best undrafted D in the NHL who is now (he didn't start there) 1st pairing D.
Hopefully this works out for us in the same way.

Good call, and he also spent about 100 games in the AHL before he stuck in the NHL.

If this Russian is an upgrade over who ever we trade away in Feb , I think that is a win for the Leafs. One of the problem Leaf fans have always had is the next guy ALWAYS has to be the next savior and that almost always ends up in disappointment.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Most of his goals on this highlight reel are 1 or 2 hole just above the pads but just below the glove or trapper. That is a guy with pretty good instincts.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Babcock.... check
Zaitsev..... check
vesey.......
Stamkos....

2/4 are done. Pretty great to see how shanny is turning this franchise around along with hunter, and dubas.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Pretty sure his skating won't be a problem.
Don't think he will be Duncan Keith right away,but he should be Top 4 on the Leafs.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I don't know, he might be competing with Nylander and/or Marner. :nod:[/QUOTE

Or Vesey?

Heading to the game tomorrow. First time I haven't been excited going to a leaf hab game. So little to be excited about. But this could be the biggest off season in the history of this franchise. Last year it was about securing the top mgmt. this year the team. We are use to being disappointed but can you imagine the top two lines next year being the following in addition to Zaitsev.

JVR. Stamkos. Vesey

Nylander. Mathews. Marner

Would be crazy and the beginning of a new era. Love to see a new kid line in town

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad