Status
Not open for further replies.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
What's his upside?

Apparently some Russian posters claim he is the best D in the KHL.

At this point? Looks like a potential bomb on the point. I dont know what his defensive game is like but from what I've read maybe a #1-2. No idea how likely he is to reach it but he seems to have the tools. <---- This is the key part, I really don't know how likely it is before anyone overreacts.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Zaitsev and Gardiner on the point for the PP would be quite deadly. Add in a playmaker like Nylander, Marner, Kadri .. And one-timers all day.

LeafsGeeks

Jan 22, 2016
Top 4 right handed defenseman, 24 years old (young enough that he can develop but old enough that he has solid experience). Leafs just added a great cost-controlled asset for FREE. I know this isn't as sexy as Stamkos talk, but this is huge! Can't wait to find out more about his game.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Really happy to see this is happening for sure, this guy is really good. I see him becoming a solid 2/3 dman for us. I think a lot of people might underrate how huge an addition this guy will be for us. We should have a really solid defensive core next year, with Rielly, Phaneuf, Gardiner, and Zaitsev in our top 4.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Glad to hear this, could be a really solid pickup. Young, right handed D, good puck mover, putting up solid points in the K, sounds really good.

Quite the logjam on defence though. Next season we'll have Phaneuf, Gardiner, Rielly, Hunwick, Marincin, Percy, Harrington, Zaitsev, and Corrado all signed and none of them can be sent down to the Marlies. I'm assuming Marincin and Corrado will be the odd men out, leaving us with:

Hunwick-Rielly
Gardiner-Phaneuf
Percy/Harrington-Zaitsev

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Let's hope so. We are seriously lacking at RHD in the organization.

Hopefully all those fans that were penciling in all these Marlie Dmen for next season didn't do it in ink as they need to start erasing some names as Zaitsev just took one of those spots. :sarcasm:

Reilly - Hunwick
Gardner -- Phaneuf
Zaitsev -- XXXX

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Awesome stuff, best Dmen in the KHL. He might just be the RHD that Reilly needs to become #1 pairing.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Let's hope so. We are seriously lacking at RHD in the organization.

Right handed shots on the D for Toronto:

Frankie Corrado
Roman Polak
Stephane Robidas

Lots of rumors that Polak will be traded this Feb , that would be a considerable upgrade in skill, a drop in the physical aspect though.

Our right side is so week this guy would instantly become one of our top right handed shooting defenceman prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad