Post-Game Talk: Crysaitl

3 stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Have you ever waetched one of those games where we get the lead and you know in your heart we aren't going to win, then we don't? This is the first time on a long time I can remember feeling the opposite. We got down early and I never felt like we were going to lose this one.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
My thoughts:

-Wow that first period was bad. Literally a full continuation of what they did vs. Vancouver and they got smoked as a result. Igor's angles and positioning were terrible. He was a different goalie in the 2nd and the 3rd, and in the best possible way.
-They were a completely different team in the 2nd, 3rd, and OT. And in a good way. If they play like they did in those periods, they're a serious Cup contender.
-Said it before, will say it again...Leschyshyn is useless and does not add value to this team. For everyone harping on his faceoff prowes, he was the only center not at 50% last night and it wasn't even close. I'd still rather let Goodrow take faceoofs and put Kravtsov on 4RW. So what if he's "not a 4th line player" - let him contribute where he's able, and if nothing else it's game experience. He may actually be able to help finish some Gauthier rushes here and there too (unlike Jake).
-Kreider still looks hurt but he was very opportunistic out there, and it was great to see the powerplay try some different looks with him. That last night was his first PP goal since November shows how one dimensional the PP has been.
-I still want to see Trouba OFF the second unit. That entire unit cycles, then Trouba will kill the possession by throwing a bad shot to the net. I really want to see the kids shoot more on the PP.
-Two games in a row now that Chytil has been cheated (Chyt'd?) out of an assist (unless it was changed overnight while I was sleeping). There was literally NO justifiable reason he didn't get an assist on Laf's goal. He wins the faceoff, Kakko chips the puck to himself, goes to get it without interrupted possession, chips it to himself again, then passes directly to Laf for a goal. Chytil should've had 2 assists in the last 2 games (including the secondary on the Miller goal in Vancouver). NHL official scoring needs to stop being so stingy with assists, and reinstruct the scorers who keep getting this wrong. If he snaps the puck on the goal mouth chance (vs. sweep shot), he also has a goal last night. So as good as he's been, there's still room for growth.
-Panarin will definitely score more goals with Trocheck and Vesey, but I'd like to see Trocheck be more involved as a scoring threat. Despite their success over 2 games, Panarin doesn't have a finisher on that line. I'm fine with leaving them together a little longer to figure it out, but part of me is very curious what Panarin/Trocheck/Tarasenko would look like since Tarasenko doesn't play the speed game that Kreider and Zibanejad want to. Problem is, who plays on that line then, since Vesey's clearly not a fit with 20 and 93. I still think it might be worth revisiting 20-16-26 and 10-93-91 at some point. I'm still impressed with Tarasenko's skill level overall, but the reads have not been there on that top line.
-Fox was a lot better yesterday. Hopefully whatever's been ailing him is getting better.
-Hated the call on Mika in overtime. If you're going to let them play, let them play. Can't not call one blatant trip, then call the second against the other team. Either both are penalties or neither.
-For all the hate on Laf, he has great hands. If he can learn to play like Draisaitl (who's also not a great skater), he very much can prove he's worth the #1 overall. This kid is definitely not the bust that some here seem to think.
-Kakko had good moments, and he had invisible moments (which, granted, were mostly in the first period like the rest of the team). Would love to see him be a little more consistent, that would help him avoid the long points droughts. He's coming along nicely though, and hopefully keeps up string of points. Kid line is their best forechecking/possession line and it's not even close. When they have bad games, it's because they spend most of their shifts pinned in their own end. If Chytil can become decent on faceoffs (my expectations are lowered here LOL), that will help a lot, plus not giving them D zone starts. I also cringe every time the 4th line gets a non-neutral zone start, because with Leschyshyn there, that line is just bad. At least they drew a penalty last night.

Last edited:

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Shame on the people that said Igor was crap. There were NO softies this game, thought for sure he'd pull him, but that wasn't because he played badly, it would have been to Jolt our team. Happy he didn't. Halak tonight, he has 7 trying for 8 and a sweep of Canada.

Last edited:
Reactions: THE BIG WHISTLE

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I see comments about Tarasenko already. He needs some time and I'm not talking about 4 games either. He played 11 seasons with St. Louis and is playing with 2 guys who have played together for years, He has only 2 points in the 4 games and he is looking lost right now but I'm confident he will look a lot better as playoffs approach. That's what it's all about anyway.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I honestly would like to hear which goals you believe Igor was responsible for..

First two goals Shestyorkin makes ridiculous saves and the Oilers score on rebounds

Third and forth goals were snipes from high slot, I guess you can demand a miracle save, but the placement was perfect
really only the 4th goal, he was off his angle a bit gave Drai to much to shoot at.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I see comments about Tarasenko already. He needs some time and I'm not talking about 4 games either. He played 11 seasons with St. Louis and is playing with 2 guys who have played together for years, He has only 2 points in the 4 games and he is looking lost right now but I'm confident he will look a lot better as playoffs approach. That's what it's all about anyway.
Yeah, since this team doesn't really play a structured system you can't just plug a guy in and have him mesh, we're a team that relies heavily on chemistry and getting a nice flow going, why do you think we suck every year up until around January. Our guys take time to gather momentum, especially the top "skill" guys. Good on Drury for making the trade a month early, by playoff time he should get in the swing of things.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
This site kills me when watching games. They get down and all I can think is people going on about nonsense. Like they should win every game. Then they come back and I'm thinking about how they shut up this fans and we won another.

This is a good team. No team is perfect. I'd like to see a 4th liner added to get rid of Leschynshyn. No for the 100th time, Kravtsov is getting a 4th line spot despite how many times someone posts, "why not". Fox isn't hurt. He had a "shockking" bad game or two. Tarasenko will start adding more to the mix. But even without him really doing much, he's another player teams need to worry about. 3 lines that can create pressure, score goals, need to be accounted for. They're scoring 4 a game. For a good stretch. How fun is that?

Yes Igor has allowed a few that maybe he could steal, but have you seen the defensive breakdowns? Players uncovered, pucks not cleared. But then again those good offense players on the Oilers are trying too.

You never knwo with a seven game series, but the Devils anc Canes don't scare me. We CAN beat either of them.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
21 points in his last 28 and could’ve honestly had more. Both him and Chytil are turning into 2-way even strength monsters
Laf also. He's been scoring at nearly a PPG for a while now and you could see he is starting to figure it out. Kakko did the work along the boards and gave him a great feed but that was a snipe. There is an outside chance he could finish with 50 points this year. He's going to be a very good player.

Reactions: ncdoc

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Laf also. He's been scoring at nearly a PPG for a while now and you could see he is starting to figure it out. Kakko did the work along the boards and gave him a great feed but that was a snipe. There is an outside chance he could finish with 50 points this year. He's going to be a very good player.
Laf really started the year poorly while looking at his numbers. If you only seen him in recent weeks, you would assume he'd be a 20-30-50 guy at this point in the year. He's so young, this production (from the whole line too) can easily be sustained and improved on.

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Shame on the people that said Igor was crap. There were NO softies this game, thought for sure he'd pull him, but that wasn't because he played badly, it would have been to Jolt our team. Happy he didn't. Halak tonight, he has 7 trying for 8 and a sweep of Canada.
Igor played like 2 different goalies last night.

He misplayed the angle/depth IMO on both the Ryan and Draisaitl goals, and on the Draisaitl goal he was too quick to go down (before the release of the puck) which allowed Draisaitl to pick the open side knowing Igor couldn't react to it.

Hyman goal was 100% on the D, Barrie goal was a broken play where he had to react to what was in front of him, and no one picked up the D coming in from the point. Those were 100% not on him.

But he was outstanding in the 2nd, 3rd, OT, and SO.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Laf really started the year poorly while looking at his numbers. If you only seen him in recent weeks, you would assume he'd be a 20-30-50 guy at this point in the year. He's so young, this production (from the whole line too) can easily be sustained and improved on.

There’s no reason why Laf-Chytil-Kakko can’t be Kreider-Mika-Buchnevich for us through the next decade. Couple that with Fox and big Millah and we’re set for a long time.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
One complaint about yesterday, and I feel bad saying this on a 22-4-3 stretch, but Gallant looks foolish not playing Tarasenko with Panarin. Vesey missed 2 Grade A’s last night that Tarasenko would’ve surely buried. Both guys would look better swapped. Vladdy & Bread with Trocheck and Jim with his old war buddies Kreider & Mika.

Also would like Kravy fresh legs in over Leshiz especially on a back to back. keep your head up for Lucic kid

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
One complaint about yesterday, and I feel bad saying this on a 22-4-3 stretch, but Gallant looks foolish not playing Tarasenko with Panarin. Vesey missed 2 Grade A’s last night that Tarasenko would’ve surely buried. Both guys would look better swapped. Vladdy & Bread with Trocheck and Jim with his old war buddies Kreider & Mika.

Also would like Kravy fresh legs in over Leshiz especially on a back to back. keep your head up for Lucic kid
My biggest pet peeve with Vesey is his inability to ever take a snap shot. He always has to curl the puck, pull it back, and then release. It gives the goalie a half second when milliseconds count, and IMO is one of the biggest reasons he's never been much of a scorer in this league.

Also, I definitely think he has no business on LW ever again. He is way better off-side as a RW, and a lot of that is his ability to carry the puck on the backhand forcefully.

I posted earlier in the thread about Panarin Trocheck Tarasenko and would like to see this combo as well. Unfortunately, I actively dislike Kreider-Zibanejad-Vesey as a combo, so I don't know what gives there unless they go back to 10-93-91 / 20-16-26, or Kravtsov suddenly and miraculously figures out how to score at a 20 goal pace the rest of the way and the lines shift to accommodate. But I'm willing to stomach Vesey with 20 and 93 for a few games to see what 10-16-91 looks like. I just don't think Panarin's going to be getting many even strength assists with 16 and 26, although that's been good for his goal scoring since he shoots more on that line.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
My biggest pet peeve with Vesey is his inability to ever take a snap shot. He always has to curl the puck, pull it back, and then release. It gives the goalie a half second when milliseconds count, and IMO is one of the biggest reasons he's never been much of a scorer in this league.

Also, I definitely think he has no business on LW ever again. He is way better off-side as a RW, and a lot of that is his ability to carry the puck on the backhand forcefully.

I posted earlier in the thread about Panarin Trocheck Tarasenko and would like to see this combo as well. Unfortunately, I actively dislike Kreider-Zibanejad-Vesey as a combo, so I don't know what gives there unless they go back to 10-93-91 / 20-16-26, or Kravtsov suddenly and miraculously figures out how to score at a 20 goal pace the rest of the way and the lines shift to accommodate. But I'm willing to stomach Vesey with 20 and 93 for a few games to see what 10-16-91 looks like. I just don't think Panarin's going to be getting many even strength assists with 16 and 26, although that's been good for his goal scoring since he shoots more on that line.
panarin could end up never getting another assist the rest of the season and he'd still end up with more assists than goals, and around his career numbers.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Igor played like 2 different goalies last night.

He misplayed the angle/depth IMO on both the Ryan and Draisaitl goals, and on the Draisaitl goal he was too quick to go down (before the release of the puck) which allowed Draisaitl to pick the open side knowing Igor couldn't react to it.

Hyman goal was 100% on the D, Barrie goal was a broken play where he had to react to what was in front of him, and no one picked up the D coming in from the point. Those were 100% not on him.

But he was outstanding in the 2nd, 3rd, OT, and SO.
Yeah, the first was bad. It doesn't matter who turned it over or who was left opened from bad coverage. Whether the shots go in or not, Igor made those shots harder to save than they had to be because he was deep in the net, off position from reading the angles. He came out pissed off in the second and tracked the puck much better.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

If Gallant wasn't such a "fool" this team would never lose a game.

Reactions: Greg02
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille