CRUNCH TIME!!! How does the William Nylander "unsigned saga" end?

What happens to William Nylander?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think he signs a bridge deal but the damage has been done. Can’t see him being happy long term as both Matthews and Marner will sign lucrative long term deals and that will grate on him.
Probably traded for defensive help in the off season.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Only leverage an RFA has is to play somewhere else in another league.

He will sign a bridge or a team favourable long term deal. Like every other really good but not elite player has.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
They both panic at the exact same moment, thus reversing positions and by the time they realize what has happened the deadline passes

Reactions: 7even

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
This is so ****ing dumb. It’s ****ing NHL hockey. Take a year at “only” 3 mil if you need, just to get out there. I honestly would.

Would you work your job for half of what you could actually be making “just to get out there”?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He would be an idiot not to sign with Toronto. It would prove he cared more about a couple thousand dollars than a Stanley Cup. I think he signs but won't be remotely surprised if he doesn't either.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Would you work your job for half of what you could actually be making “just to get out there”?

That's a valid point, except most of our jobs don't involve bonuses or a chance to win a Stanley Cup, never mind the other benefits of playing the game you love. And for a guy coming off an ELC and making nothing right now, $3M is a fair chunk of money.

The flipside is that most of us don't have our salaries publicly revealed or at least no one would care if they were. There are such things as pride at work here too. Lastly, he's got to go back into that locker room and sit across from his fellow union members knowing that he essentially caved to "the man". Nobody wants to be that guy.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
None of the above. Bridge deal or sits out. He's not getting paid above his pay grade. Too late to trade him at this point. 30 GMs just watched Dubas do the yeomans work and refuse to cave to a ludicrous salary. Only a total stooge would trade for Nylander and meet his terms and that GM would be ostracised for life.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Options 1 & 5 are the only realistic options.

At this point Nylander needs (a contract from) Toronto more than Toronto needs (a signed) Nylander.

So Toronto isn't going to cave, nor are they going to trade his rights for an underwhelming return. They might trade him for a decent return later on, but not before they try to sign him after the deadline has passed.

Based on what I've seen/read Option 5 is the most likely result.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Toronto literally can't afford to give in to Nylander's demands, so either he'll sit for a year, or he'll sign a short contract at around 5M-6M and worry about getting traded later.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Uh, that's pretty common? A super skilled, far superior employee tends to get paid less due to a lack of experience.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Kind of a hard poll to vote in without knowing each sides terms.

Assuming Dubas is closer to 6.0 while Willy is 7.0, I think he signs for 6*6.9, which I think favors Willy by a couple hundred thousand.

Though I don't think that is really Toronto panicking considering the cap savings they'll have between years 2-6, which brings his cap closer to 6.5 IIRC where i thought he should've landed this whole time.... and no I don't think Toronto ends up trading Willy.

Just glad this is about done.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I added Bridge Deal to the poll. You can all change your votes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad