Proposal: Crouse for Cowan, Leafs 1st pick

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Leafs need to make their forward assets “coveted” by other teams.

I’d personally be okay in pulling the trigger if there was someone for the backend that makes sense moving:

Knies + Minten + 1st

But I really don’t see it. There’s a few names I think of, but I doubt they’d be available.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I read through that thread and a lot of people seem to align with my thoughts on this one lol
Oh boy, alright. Pick and choose to fit your needs. We both know that’s bs. At the end of the day Toronto gets walked with that offer.

How old is Crouse now? You have to start thinking about value vs age/attrition at some point. If you think the Coyotes can win next year, OK, fine. Your valuation of Crouse presently holds more meaning. But if your core is getting increasingly younger and, as a result, your ascent is 4 or 5 years from now, holding on to Crouse has more value vs adding another prospect whose age re-aligns with the core?

Its somewhat similar to the Avs getting younger by trading Duchene. Different types of players of course, but otherwise analagous.
Great post and very true. I think Crouse holds more value to Arizona than any other player. He’s 26, but wants to be here, in Arizona talk, that means a lot.

The Coyotes aren’t going to do anything remarkable anytime soon, that’s for sure. I would be open to moving Crouse if he wanted out. I just don’t see Cowan and 1st being the winning bid, that’s all.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
It’s not. Several other teams would beat that. Easton Cowan, great prospect, but you leaf fans have a knack for thinking your proposals are iron clad.

Not many players in the league like Crouse and what he brings. It would take a lot to pry him out of Arizona. Cowan and a late 1st isn’t it.
He has a career high of 45 points, he's on pace for 45 points again, you're massively over rating him. He's a good player but get real lol. He has term, but he's not what you think he is.

drede

Jul 13, 2023
Understandably so. Use the assets where it’s needed. Toronto doesn’t need help on offense.

Dumba is available and Toronto was in on him before signing Klingberg. Might be something there…3rd in 24?
Aslong as they don't offer a 1st for him like some where trying to say he was worth that

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
I have been following the London knights since the Flyers acquired Bonk and Barkey. Cowan is a really good player. Cowan is second in most categories to Barkey. Both Cowan and Barkey would be good up and down any line-up. Cowan reminds me of Laughton. So I would throw in the ring, Laughton for Cowan and a 1st in a heart-beat; even throw-in Seeler.

Crouse? If he is one of your core players no; if not, yes.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I have been following the London knights since the Flyers acquired Bonk and Barkey. Cowan is a really good player. Cowan is second in most categories to Barkey. Both Cowan and Barkey would be good up and down any line-up. Cowan reminds me of Laughton. So I would throw in the ring, Laughton for Cowan and a 1st in a heart-beat; even throw-in Seeler.

Crouse? If he is one of your core players no; if not, yes.
i watched a lot of knights gane too and ibread a comparaison for a modern Darcy Tucker and i think this comparaison is right for Cowan.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Forgot point production determines the value of a player, appreciate you filling me in.
Are we going to pretend that point production isn't one of the biggest factors in determining a forwards value ? He's a 45 point power forward that will be playing middle 6 minutes on a contender.

When the Leafs traded Kessel, a literally PPG #1 RW (in a MUCH lower scoring era) to Pittsburgh, they got a 1st + Kapanen (recent 1st round pick) as the base of the trade. Please don't try and argue that somehow Crouse would/should return more than that, or what other elite wingers have been traded for.

He's a good 2nd/3rd line player with term, 1st + good prospect is more than fair value. Even then Leafs wouldn't do it, we don't need more help on forward, a trade involving our 1st + top prospect, has to be for help on defence.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Are we going to pretend that point production isn't one of the biggest factors in determining a forwards value ? He's a 45 point power forward that will be playing middle 6 minutes on a contender.

When the Leafs traded Kessel, a literally PPG #1 RW (in a MUCH lower scoring era) to Pittsburgh, they got a 1st + Kapanen (recent 1st round pick) as the base of the trade. Please don't try and argue that somehow Crouse would/should return more than that, or what other elite wingers have been traded for.

He's a good 2nd/3rd line player with term, 1st + good prospect is more than fair value. Even then Leafs wouldn't do it, we don't need more help on forward, a trade involving our 1st + top prospect, has to be for help on defence.
Again, Cowan and a late first won’t get you Crouse. However you want to spin it, go ahead.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Again, Cowan and a late first won’t get you Crouse. However you want to spin it, go ahead.
Again, the Leafs should not even be targeting Crouse with their top assets. I'd love to add him, but he's not what we should be looking for.

Secondly, if you think you're getting more than that, good luck. You guys gave up Chychrun for a 1st + two 2nds, but you think Crouse is worth more than a 1st + Cowen (Recent 1st round pick)

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Again, the Leafs should not even be targeting Crouse with their top assets. I'd love to add him, but he's not what we should be looking for.

Secondly, if you think you're getting more than that, good luck. You guys gave up Chychrun for a 1st + two 2nds, but you think Crouse is worth more than a 1st + Cowen (Recent 1st round pick)
Crouse holds more value than Chychrun ever did.

And I agree, read the thread, Toronto needs no help up front, use the assets on D. If they correct that, I think it could be the year for them. Aside from Arizona, Toronto is who I go for, the only problem are their fans on this board (not all, but most)

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary

I'm not a Yotes fan, but I would think if they decided to trade Crouse it would be for a roster player. That team is loaded with picks and prospects.

Also I wouldn't trade Crouse for Cowan and a late first, Crouse would be a huge add with a great contract to any contender.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Would Toronto do this? They get big top 6 winger.

Leafs all in, Coyotes get big haul of future.
No need for F’s in T.O.

IMHO, the leafs have a desperate need for defencemen. They have an abundance of bottom pairing D but that’s it. They have plenty of offence and are very talented with 3-4 forwards. Unfortunately for them as the playoffs begin their goaltending/D is suspect & their talented forwards disappear when the hitting starts. Tanev was the deal they missed out on and I don’t buy that the Flames wouldn’t deal with them due to some emotional position like “Tre used to be our GM” they missed on the trade because they didn’t step up & out bid the Stars. Tanev has said he wanted to go to a contender……so there’s that.
Cheers.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Would Toronto do this? They get big top 6 winger.

Leafs all in, Coyotes get big haul of future.
Not at the expense of Cowan. Leafs are in no position to trade away young cheap talent. Picks and players not name Minten or Cowan up for trade consideration.

Personally I would rather they target a top 4 D and go all in with both Firsts. A player like Parayko would be ideal or Pesce but he is a UFA this summer and unless he comes with and extension I wouldn’t be willing to part with both picks.

Hollel

Jun 15, 2019
Not at the expense of Cowan. Leafs are in no position to trade away young cheap talent. Picks and players not name Minten or Cowan up for trade consideration.

Personally I would rather they target a top 4 D and go all in with both Firsts. A player like Parayko would be ideal or Pesce but he is a UFA this summer and unless he comes with and extension I wouldn’t be willing to part with both picks.
I sort of agree, but the Leafs *should* be wiling to trade away any and all futures for actual good Defensemen. I get that Cowan and Minten hold value for being cheap future contributors but you guys have Auston Matthews in his prime. Don’t do the Oilers thing and get cute with it. Just get your guys and go for cups RIGHT NOW

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
How old is Crouse now? You have to start thinking about value vs age/attrition at some point. If you think the Coyotes can win next year, OK, fine. Your valuation of Crouse presently holds more meaning. But if your core is getting increasingly younger and, as a result, your ascent is 4 or 5 years from now, holding on to Crouse has more value vs adding another prospect whose age re-aligns with the core?

Its somewhat similar to the Avs getting younger by trading Duchene. Different types of players of course, but otherwise analagous.
He's f***ing 26 and is likely our next captain, he's not 33 dude.

He's a year older than Keller, are we going to trade him too?

Might as well trade Hayton while we're at it, he's getting old too.

@OP and everyone else. If Crouse was available for a B prospect and a late 1st he'd be long gone.

There's a reason he hasn't been traded. Guys who are good defensively, can score 30 goals and are physical are worth a lot more than people think. Look at what Hagel got.

Crouse has been playing 3rd line minutes without a ton of PP time the entire time he's been in Arizona, you put him on a team in the top 6 that can score or on the 2nd line and he'll be fantastic.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

A year older than Makar.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
He's f***ing 26 and is likely our next captain, he's not 33 dude.

He's a year older than Keller, are we going to trade him too?

Might as well trade Hayton while we're at it, he's getting old too.

@OP and everyone else. If Crouse was available for a B prospect and a late 1st he'd be long gone.

There's a reason he hasn't been traded. Guys who are good defensively, can score 30 goals and are physical are worth a lot more than people think. Look at what Hagel got.

Crouse has been playing 3rd line minutes without a ton of PP time the entire time he's been in Arizona, you put him on a team in the top 6 that can score or on the 2nd line and he'll be fantastic.

Has he ever scored thirty? My understanding is that his career high is 24g, though I may be mistaken...

As to the thread as a whole, I'd rather use what few assets we have on the blueline. Crouse is a good player and depth scoring is always appreciated, but doesn't address a glaring need.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Has he ever scored thirty? My understanding is that his career high is 24g, though I may be mistaken...

As to the thread as a whole, I'd rather use what few assets we have on the blueline. Crouse is a good player and depth scoring is always appreciated, but doesn't address a glaring need.
So if we look at GP/60 Crouse is at #67 in the NHL this season behind Carcone and above Keller with 1.22/ G/60.

Last year he was at #118 with 1.05 G/60.

Year before that, he was at #128 with 1.06/60.

There's about a 600m gap between him and the highest played forwards. There's about a 2-300m gap between him and our first line players.

Now it's likely that if he played with Keller and Schmaltz he'd probably put up more goals than he is with Bjugstad and Maccelli (not that's a bad line, but it functions mostly as our glue/3rd line). But if we just assume they give him 1st line minutes, he crosses the 30 goal threshold at around 1500ish minutes, which is about top 30 in the league.

He's currently pacing for 28g and 1400 minutes, which is a lot more than he's had any other season. I think it's completely fair to say, considering that he's been around this pace the past 3 seasons and paced for 25+ goals in the last 3 years that he *can* score 30 goals.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
You can always tell what team the opening poster is a fan of before you click on the link.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad