Value of: Crosby to a contender

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
No one will give up what the Pens would want to justify trading him to their fan base....Very few teams could trade for him to begin with where it would make sense to acquire him at this point in his career and have the assets needed to deal for him and still win...

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Crosby won't be going anywhere, even if the Penguins finished in last place.

He is worth too much to them in ticket sales (when attendance returns) and jersey sales for them to ever trade him.

Reactions: MD93 and Tolly80

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Mackinnon, Makar and Rantanen for Crosby and Malkin and Id consider it.

In other words, I want such an overpayment, to the extreme, its completely stupid and unrealistic. Crosby is not going anywhere. He is a brand and not just a player. Unless he asks for a trade its not happening. And in the remote chance he does, it will probably only be for the Habs and hes going to pick his destination.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Mackinnon, Makar and Rantanen for Crosby and Malkin and Id consider it.

In other words, I want such an overpayment, to the extreme, its completely stupid and unrealistic. Crosby is not going anywhere. He is a brand and not just a player. Unless he asks for a trade its not happening. And in the remote chance he does, it will probably only be for the Habs and hes going to pick his destination.
I counter with Jost + 1st + Timmins for Crosby only you can keep Malkin.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
All three of the stated players were at the ends of their careers and end of their contracts. Their teams didn't want to re-sign them because they had better players coming up. Brodeur played 1/2ish a season with the Blues before he retired. Alfredsson played 1 season for the Wings, then retired. Modano played 40 games with the Wings, then retired. They were all finished when they left their original franchises, they just didn't know it, but their teams did.

Crosby still has 5-10 years left in him. Why would the Penguins let him go?

I didn’t say it would be soon. I stated that while uncommon great players do sometimes leave teams near the end of their career. The person I quoted said that it would never happen. They may very well be right but I wouldn’t rule that out.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Montreal is probably the only other place he would play I’d reckon. I personally do not see it happening until he’s a free agent but for shits and giggles...

-Suzuki
-Danault
-Byron (for cap)
-Guhle
-Caufield
-1st, 2nd, 3rd ‘21
-1st ‘22

Still probably not enough but it gives Pitts a nice jumpstart on their inevitable retool while also allowing them to still compete today with Malkin/Suzuki/Danault down the middle.
Sid is sid....but that is way to much to give up for a 34 year old player no matter who it is imo

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
If Crosby is traded, Crosby will control where he goes.

No ones selling the farm and salting the earth for the remainder of Crosby's career for the hockey player. He will get some solid futures, and a few roster pieces to balance cap, but if (and I stress if) Crosby wants to move, it will be more of a one team race because Sid wants to play for the team acquiring him, not a bidding war situation.

Crosby the marketing draw however...

Reactions: Miri

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
All three of the stated players were at the ends of their careers and end of their contracts. Their teams didn't want to re-sign them because they had better players coming up. Brodeur played 1/2ish a season with the Blues before he retired. Alfredsson played 1 season for the Wings, then retired. Modano played 40 games with the Wings, then retired. They were all finished when they left their original franchises, they just didn't know it, but their teams did.

Crosby still has 5-10 years left in him. Why would the Penguins let him go?
Yep, the Devils let Brodeur walk before the 2014-15 season because he was 42 years old and he was done. He signed with the Blues mid-season after Brian Elliot got injured and played 7 games with them in December. Elliot came back and he was demoted to 3rd goaltender so he retired in January.

It’s hard for older players without health issues to hang them up, it a judgement call about their own declining skills.

Crosby’s not playing for another team unless he wants though, he’s a tier above most of the players mentioned plus a center is to keep around.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
I could see him moving to Avalanche if Kadri outprices himself (22-23).
There's a chance he plays somewhere else.
Because somehow Crosby's contract 2 seasons from now will be so much more affordable than Kadri's?

Just.... dude, c'mon

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
Because somehow Crosby's contract 2 seasons from now will be so much more affordable than Kadri's?

Just.... dude, c'mon

He will get older like everyone. Pens can also retain 50%.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I get trading him from the business side if things . Just like I get trading one of McDavid or Draisaitl for some real D but sometimes you have to say f business and have some loyalty to a player that has been one of the greats that been loyal to the organization.

Reactions: heysmilinstrange

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Since everyone loves the overreaction, id like to just call out that despite the scoreline, the penguins were the much better team in at least 4 of the 6 periods we played against them. I dont think the penguins are favorites anymore but im not sure they can't be called contenders, either.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
460150372.jpg.0.jpg

[
upload_2021-1-17_8-42-29.jpeg

upload_2021-1-17_8-43-16.jpeg

Screen-Shot-2020-11-15-at-6.46.18-PM.png

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Blues offer Bozak for Crosby @ 50% retained. We'd be doing you a favor taking that locker room cancer off your hands.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
My biggest question about Crosby isn't if he gets traded, i really doubt he does. It's if he retires after next season(summer 2022). His contract drops to 3m a year for the last 3 years. Was it planned all along to ride into the sunset at 35 and get the penguins a cheap cap hit during his prime?

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Montreal is probably the only other place he would play I’d reckon. I personally do not see it happening until he’s a free agent but for shits and giggles...

-Suzuki
-Danault
-Byron (for cap)
-Guhle
-Caufield
-1st, 2nd, 3rd ‘21
-1st ‘22

Still probably not enough but it gives Pitts a nice jumpstart on their inevitable retool while also allowing them to still compete today with Malkin/Suzuki/Danault down the middle.

Not worth it for the Habs imo.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
upload_2021-1-17_9-20-12.jpeg

Sid is coming to montreal to help us win the 25th cup. We have a bunch of picks and prospect to help accelerate the penguins rebuild

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad