Crosby passes Ovechkin in all-time scoring

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
It's the awards show video from that year. Probably wiol find it just by typibg NHL awards 2011 Crosby Ovechkin to youtube.
oh that flip cam interview? I didn't really think that, that was him admitting he was better, moreso praising his amazing season and what not

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Whats insane is that Crosby missed most of his games in his absolute prime while Ovie missed the most games (not many, but still) when he was "old". If Sid had been healthy in his prime and then got the freak injuries when he was older he would be even further ahead of Ovechkin in PPG.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
Whats insane is that Crosby missed most of his games in his absolute prime while Ovie missed the most games (not many, but still) when he was "old". If Sid had been healthy in his prime and then got the freak injuries when he was older he would be even further ahead of Ovechkin in PPG.
Strongest thing in Ovechkin's resume is that it's not a fabric of imagination. Very rarely do you get players that don't have excuse-story for why they didn't do more. Ovie doesn't need that.

Randyne

May 20, 2012
Whats insane is that Crosby missed most of his games in his absolute prime while Ovie missed the most games (not many, but still) when he was "old"
Nah. Add only 4-5 missing games in 2008-2009 Ovechkin would be undeniable best player since Gretzky and Lemieux with 10 Rockets, 3 Ross, 4 Harts, 3 Lindsays, Smythe and Calder.
Sid fans pretend that would never happen and gladly projecting 200 games to Crosby.

Reactions: Voight

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
Nah. Add only 4-5 missing games in 2008-2009 Ovechkin would be undeniable best player since Gretzky and Lemieux with 10 Rockets, 3 Ross, 4 Harts, 3 Lindsays, Smythe and Calder.
Sid fans pretend that would never happen and gladly projecting 200 games to Crosby.

Utter nonsense. We count PPG now which is what determines how great a player is. Awards have little relevance to determine that.

Last edited:

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
Strongest thing in Ovechkin's resume is that it's not a fabric of imagination. Very rarely do you get players that don't have excuse-story for why they didn't do more. Ovie doesn't need that.

Sid is tied with Ovechkin despite playing 200 games less, and Sid does have a vastly superior PPG despite missing out on his absolute prime. Thats the hard facts.

On paper stats Ovechkin might have the minimum edge now, but that still does not mean he is the more impressive or better player. If you make that argument Jaromir Jagr is better than Mario Lemieux.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Don't forget about 2010. Had he played a couple more games, he would have also won the Hart/Richard/Art Ross.

Reactions: User9992

Randyne

May 20, 2012
Utter nonsense. We count PPG now which is what determines how great a player is. Awards have little relevance to determine that
Who we? So you rank Gordie Howe below Beliveau, Mikita, Hull, Esposito, Orr in 1946-1970?

Don't forget about 2010
Yes 2010 counted. I meant two seasons 2008/09--2009/10 with only 4-5 total missing games. He was by a hair adding 2 Ross, Hart and Rocket.

Roksta

Jul 27, 2011
Imagine caring enough to make a thread about this.

I can't wait until Malkin and Crosby are done so that whiney fanbase can dissappear again.

He says, while whining like a lil' baby

I get your frustration though supporting a team of perennial losers

16,946 days since the Flyers last won a Stanley Cup. If the Seattle Kraken go that many days without winning a Stanley Cup, the 16,946th day will be March 5th, 2068

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Sid is tied with Ovechkin despite playing 200 games less, and Sid does have a vastly superior PPG despite missing out on his absolute prime. Thats the hard facts.

On paper stats Ovechkin might have the minimum edge now, but that still does not mean he is the more impressive or better player. If you make that argument Jaromir Jagr is better than Mario Lemieux.

Primary points per game is about equal. As a center you should get more points by nature. You are in the middle of the ice and taking faceoff. For every faceoff in the opponent zone you have a good chance of getting a point just by taking the faceoff and goals>assists>>2nd assists.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016

That's because for some reason Ovechkin only had to win 1 Cup in his career to legitimize it. Most generational talents don't have that leeway granted to them.

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
I can't wait until 10 years from now when we'll have conversations about how hot shot new franchise player X is better than mcdavid.

Reactions: Neil Racki

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
He says, while whining like a lil' baby

I get your frustration though supporting a team of perennial losers

16,946 days since the Flyers last won a Stanley Cup. If the Seattle Kraken go that many days without winning a Stanley Cup, the 16,946th day will be March 5th, 2068

Get off the internet Steven your parents need to make a call!

Ray Mercer

Oct 3, 2018
Crosby has always been known as the better playmaker. I don’t think Ovechkin cares about a bunch of secondary assists. There’s no better record to have than all time goals.

Reactions: Neil Racki

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
1. Secondary assists are often primary to the goal being created.
2. There are two assists on most goals. When you have 1 or 2 50 goal scorers and 25 or 30 50 assist scorers, its clear that one is harder to get than the other.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That's because for some reason Ovechkin only had to win 1 Cup in his career to legitimize it. Most generational talents don't have that leeway granted to them.

Oh. I see. Its a team game and a generational talent would be able to make up for his team's shortcomings. McDavid hasnt even gotten a sniff yet. Is that really how you feel about him?

Do you think its Ov's fault that in his prime and with his best teams he was forced to go to the playoffs with a rookie goalie as the starter 4 seasons in a row?

kugelbahn

Feb 15, 2018
good old ov vs crosby debate
still "not even close"
lets index the arguments and save servers disc space:
D: 1, 7, 23 and 41!
Mm: 4, 8, 20, 28

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
Imagine caring enough to make a thread about this.

I can't wait until Malkin and Crosby are done so that whiney fanbase can dissappear again.
Bro we will disappear for like a week before uncle Gary bails us out again. Then we can start counting cup wins with another hand.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
Oh. I see. Its a team game and a generational talent would be able to make up for his team's shortcomings. McDavid hasnt even gotten a sniff yet. Is that really how you feel about him?

Do you think its Ov's fault that in his prime and with his best teams he was forced to go to the playoffs with a rookie goalie as the starter 4 seasons in a row?

I wasn't really including McDavid because his career is still in its beginnings and he has plenty of chances to make it far in the playoffs and win.

The rookie goalie thing doesn't mean much to me. Pittsburgh, for example, won 2 Cups with a rookie goalie and 1 (in 2009) with a pretty mediocre goaltending performance.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Does anyone really debate that Ovechkin is better than Sidney Crosby? He's better at scoring goals, that's it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad