Rumor: Crosby, Malkin only Penguins "untouchable" trade pieces

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Somehow I missed Patches. I think I must have somehow missed Karlsson and Stone, too? Not sure why my list was so incomplete. Maybe those picks were for 2020 or later?

Pacioretty, Karlsson and Stone brought back better returns than just the 14th overall pick. I don't know why you're mentioning them, those trades help my case for why Kessel has more value than that.

I'm honestly not sure what you're trying to argue. Pacioretty was traded for Tatar, Suzuki and a 2nd. Suzuki was the #13 pick a year prior. Stone was traded for Brannstrom, Lindberg and a 2nd as a rental. Brannstrom was the #15 pick 2 years prior, but he was also eclipsing on superstar potential. That helps my case for Kessel having more value than just the 14th overall pick, unless the #14th overall pick this year somehow has more value than a guy drafted 14th overall the year before. Those guys support my case that pick #14 alone isn't close enough for Kessel, when he's more likely to bring back something like say Panik, the #14 pick and a 2nd round pick.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I don't think anyone is saying his value is much lower than a mid-first round pick. Some are saying he's worth a little more and some are saying he's worth a lot more.

Someone had Lucic in a proposal for Kessel. I don't really care what the other pieces are. Dumping an 83 point player @ 6.8M/year in a deal that gives us Lucic back is hilarious.

That's just one example. There will be others..

Reactions: domaug and Riptide

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Anyone have thoughts on a subban - Kessel deal?
Pittsburgh probably have to add, but it works in my head somehow..

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
They could get a haul for Malkin......

I was thinking today about the haul they could get for both Crosby and Malkin. Obviously they both will likely retire Pens, but man that team is going to be in for a long rebuild once the core is gone. Trading those two could instantly put them back on the map and shift right to a new young core.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Somehow I missed Patches. I think I must have somehow missed Karlsson and Stone, too? Not sure why my list was so incomplete. Maybe those picks were for 2020 or later?
You also missed Brassard. Kessel may be older but he's still a point per game wing with 3 more years left unlike those guys you posted.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
No. The only one close to that is Jack Johnson and even he (despite what HF will claim) would be tradeable without having to pay someone to take him. We wouldn't get squat, but we wouldn't have to pay someone to take him. And aside from him we don't have any bad contracts. Maatta and Gudbranson both have value, as does Kessel and Hornqvist.[/QUOTE

Johnson and Hornqvist have negative value at this point. They are both way overpaid, for way too long, for what they offer as players.

No way Pittsburgh can trade either of those guys without taking in on the chin.

Pittsburgh is in a bind.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017

Meant to say Johnson and Hornqvist both have negative value. Both are paid way too much, for way too long for what they offer.

To trade either of these guys would require Pittsburgh taking it on the chin.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Meant to say Johnson and Hornqvist both have negative value. Both are paid way too much, for way too long for what they offer.

To trade either of these guys would require Pittsburgh taking it on the chin.

Not sure I agree with Hornqvist. He's had an injury plagued year and looked off the back end of the season BUT he is a guy that coaches love. I'd be willing to bet there are a few GM's that would pay for his services. Nothing crazy high, also not as bad as us giving assets away.

Now Johnson...ok you got me there. It would take a drunk GM thinking he was someone else to give up anything for him.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Just for fun I want to see Kessel come to Toronto some day now that we have "#1 Cs for him to play with",

Obviously would not want it with this contract and all, but hey its a fun lil dream

Reactions: CertifiedLurker

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Johnson and Hornqvist have negative value at this point. They are both way overpaid, for way too long, for what they offer as players.

No way Pittsburgh can trade either of those guys without taking in on the chin.

Pittsburgh is in a bind.

Based on what exactly? Hornqvist is the type of player that all coaches and teammates love. And with 4 seasons left at 5.3m, that's far from some "way overpaid, way too long" contract.

As for Jack Johnson, there's a reason why there were multiple teams interested in him last summer. Personally I would have been fine with him going elsewhere, but at 3.25m for 4 more seasons, he too is far from overpaid or having "negative value".

Players don't just have negative value because a Washington fan decides they don't like them. I know you wish it were otherwise, but welcome to reality.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
letang should go for the right price

I do not see a "right price" that makes the Penguins a better team at any point while Crosby and Malkin are still playing hockey at a level that has them near the top of the league. Thus regardless of what some fans think, Letang won't be traded.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Bjugstad for a 2022 6th
absolutely not. Bjugstad has been just fine. i would block your phone number.

- I would probably trade 14th overall for Kessel. I wouldn't add anything much to the pick, though. Maybe a 3rd, but even then I'd really hesitate.

- I wouldn't do the 14th and either Goligoski or either Fischer alone for Kessel, let alone the 14th plus both.

- Goligoski was good for us down the stretch. He's played up to his contract so far. I think he has trade value. He's not a dump by any means.

- Fischer had a disappointing sophomore season after a strong start. He was even scratched several times near the end. Still, he's young and has some value.

I think the assets above could be combined in a deal for Kessel, as long as additional assets come back from Pittsburgh.

Do we know where the Pittsburgh pick will end up roughly? Like 22nd or something like that? I'd be open to pick swap, too.

Connauton could possibly be decent for Pittsburgh. He's overpriced for Arizona. I'd consider him a no-value dump for a trade like this.

Chuck all of this in a pile, and there are a variety of deals I'd do. I don't think any of them will satisfy Penguins fans, though.
you're right, none of this would satisfy me. Kessel should bring back significantly more than a single pick or a collection of odds and ends that don't help the Pens compete. he scored a point per game while looking out of sorts half the time.

Lucic + 1st + Ethan bear for kessel? :)
you might as well say "here, take this collection of human garbage for your elite winger"

this is only a thought if you add McDavid and Jack Johnson to the deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad