Rumor: Crosby, Malkin only Penguins "untouchable" trade pieces

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Do the Pens want to panic now? Isn't this some sort of weird cycle for them? Miss the playoffs - get swept - win everything - rinse and repeat.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
From that article:

The Penguins explored trading Kessel last summer, and he was agreeable to playing for the Arizona Coyotes, multiple sources told Rossi.

It's not just Rossi saying this either, I have heard from a lot of people (as in beat writers and insiders) that Kessel was willing to go to Arizona. He's almost definitely going to Arizona this off-season.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Kessel to the Yotes confirmed. Tocchet welcomes his sweet prince home.

I would be very surprised for Kessel to not be on the Coyotes by July 1st. It just makes way too much sense to not happen.

Do the Pens want to panic now? Isn't this some sort of weird cycle for them? Miss the playoffs - get swept - win everything - rinse and repeat.

I don't really view trading anyone outside of Crosby, Malkin, Murray and Guentzel to be "panicking".

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I don't think Pittsburgh is panicking, but it was probably easier to be relaxed about bouncing back when Malkin and Crosby were in their 20s.

Malkin turns 33 in July, Crosby turns 32 in August, their 4 highest paid players are in their 30s and they have a lot of cap tied up long term in some...questionable...D-men.

I think the org (and fans) are just aware that the Crosby and Malkin aren't going to be elite forever and you want to put the team in the best position to succeed while they're still playing at superstar levels.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I personally think it's time for them to move Malkin as they can still get a solid return for him and keep being a good team with Crosby on board
They probably don't give a shit though and want Sid/Geno to retire as Penguins which I wouldn't blame them for that either
It's easier for them to move guys like Kessel, Horqvist, Rust, Maatta and build around what they already have in place

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Girard alone for Kessel isn't palatable. Avs have high expectations for him and his value won't equal that on the trade market yet.

Maybe for the 1st, but Avs are probably better off being patient and using their cap in free agency.
Kessel is ppg player and top line winger... why are you saying “maybe” your 1st, which is looking like a mid-late one at that haha that’s absolutely the starting point.

If they don’t want to that’s fine, someone else will. And they can go to free agency but unless they land Panarin they aren’t getting a player near Kessel’s caliber.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I'm wondering if we take on Kessel at full bore or we try to send back dollars like Goligoski.
No I think Kessel at 6.8 is very movable without money having to come back. Especially not Goligoski, we have way too much money tied up in average defensemen.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm wondering if we take on Kessel at full bore or we try to send back dollars like Goligoski.

I wouldn't know Arizona's cap structure well enough to comment, but based on the Penguins really lacking a 2nd pair LD and puck moving talent on their defense, Goligoski would be an incredibly attractive option as a cap throw in personally. Has he fallen off dramatically?

The guys that stick out to me as logical targets for the Penguins are Goligoski, Hinostroza, Fischer, Dvorak and Arizona's 1st rounder. I could see Goligoski, Fischer and Arizona's 1st for Kessel being a reasonable suggestion for a deal.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I wouldn't know Arizona's cap structure well enough to comment, but based on the Penguins really lacking a 2nd pair LD and puck moving talent on their defense, Goligoski would be an incredibly attractive option as a cap throw in personally. Has he fallen off dramatically?

The guys that stick out to me as logical targets for the Penguins are Goligoski, Hinostroza, Fischer, Dvorak and Arizona's 1st rounder. I could see Goligoski, Fischer and Arizona's 1st for Kessel being a reasonable suggestion for a deal.
The only way Goligoski is a part of that deal is if JR can move out Maatta and Johnson. Goligoski makes too much to just add to what we already have. Not only that but Pitt needs youth and speed on the back end, and goligoski is in decline

Reactions: TNT87

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
It's not so much cap with Arizona as it is budget.
Fair point. Maybe they can make a deal with Seattle to take a guy with cap to make up for the difference. I just don’t think Pitt would be interested in taking a cap dump in a Kessel deal. 14th OA plus Fischer/Dvorak is perfect for us

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I wouldn't know Arizona's cap structure well enough to comment, but based on the Penguins really lacking a 2nd pair LD and puck moving talent on their defense, Goligoski would be an incredibly attractive option as a cap throw in personally. Has he fallen off dramatically?.

He's still consistent as ever. Never misses any time and is a safe bet for 30-35 points. He was really solid defensively this year as well. I think he was 13th league-wide in blocked shots. The only reason he may be available is to free up budget for other needs, especially when he is a more of a "luxury" in Arizona where LD is already decently stocked with OEL and Chychrun. I think you could make the case that, added to the Penguins, Goligoski would be arguably your best D behind Letang.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad