Crosby Hits #1 in All Time Pay

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
CapFriendly posted this on Twitter today and I thought it may be of interest here.

Crosby passed Jagr today for most estimated earnings all time. Some other interesting stuff on the list that struck me includes how high Weber is (I love Weber but 4th highest paid all time love?... unsure) and how high Sakic is considering his era.

Top-end salaries did get pretty high toward the end of the pre-cap era. Sakic was making nearly 10 million in '03-04, and was only the 7th highest paid player. He also signed a ridiculous offer sheet from the Rangers that the Avs matched that paid him 17 million one year.

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
assuming these are nominal figures, then jagr still has quite the lead in real dollars
It doesn't include escrow or the like, and some perf bonuses aren't known, so we can fairly safely knock 10%ish off the top off the post-lockout guys (especially lately) but also add some back to certain guys. I'm assuming/hoping it's at least a list that's close enough to be useful as a discussion point though.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Can anyone explain to me how Crosby is ahead of Ovechkin here?

Reactions: txpd

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
2004-05
Jagr unhappy with CBA, considers Russian club
Avangard lavished millions -- all tax free -- on Jagr to
play half a season and is pursuing him again.

2008-2011
Jaromir Jagr Signs With Avangard-Omsk

Jagr's agent Pat Brisson has confirmed the signing via email, the Associated Press has reported. The AP also reported that the two year deal will pay Jagr about $7 million dollars tax free which is the equivalent of $11 million per in the NHL. Brisson would not comment on terms of the contract.

Jagr signs 1-year deal, stays with Russian team
Jaroslav Zidek, Jagr's agent, was not specific on the contract terms, other than his client's base salary will be lower than in the previous two seasons, but with more performance bonuses. Jagr's annual salary for the first two years with Omsk was reported to be in the range of $7 million.

He also played parts of 5 seasons with Kladno before owning the team. Safe to say you can add $20M to his career earnings.

Last edited:

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
jaromir-jagr-blackmailed-with-photo-could-not-care-less-about-it.jpg

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Top-end salaries did get pretty high toward the end of the pre-cap era. Sakic was making nearly 10 million in '03-04, and was only the 7th highest paid player. He also signed a ridiculous offer sheet from the Rangers that the Avs matched that paid him 17 million one year.

Zach Parise being in the top 10 all time in career earnings is hilariously awful.

PuckThumper11

Nov 6, 2019
CapFriendly posted this on Twitter today and I thought it may be of interest here.

Crosby passed Jagr today for most estimated earnings all time. Some other interesting stuff on the list that struck me includes how high Weber is (I love Weber but 4th highest paid all time love?... unsure) and how high Sakic is considering his era.

Well earned and well deserved!

I look forward to that rising in the future, though. NHL players take a lot of hits and are in a very rough game. I'd like to see them make more, like the other big three North American sports.

Reactions: molon labe

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Well earned and well deserved!

I look forward to that rising in the future, though. NHL players take a lot of hits and are in a very rough game. I'd like to see them make more, like the other big three North American sports.

I don't think we'll ever see an NHLer pulling in $30+ mil per season like we see in the other three.....which is just ****ing insane as it is. :laugh:

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Imagine if he had actually maximized his earnings... :O

Rapsfan

Jun 7, 2021
Only 129M for a generational talent like Lebron? Damn. Klay Thompson's already made that much in fewer seasons played. I kinda feel bad for NHL salaries being a bit too low considering how much investment it takes to play hockey :(

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yea, I dont get it either. It appears they both made about the same on the ELC. Ov signed for an AAV of $9.5m after that and Sid signed at $8.7m

Sid's actual salary was higher than his $8.7 million for the first bulk of those years, though, while Ovechkin's actual salary was lower than his cap hit for a few of the first part of his.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
McDavid probably going to get 120M on 8 years from the Oilers or 120 on 7 from a UFA tram if he leaves.

Matthews will probably get a 100M+ deal and another 30M in addition to the 60M he's made already

Players will be making more now as contracts went up due to cap rising in years past.

If Bedard and Wright and Mitchkov are as good as touted then they should make 250M by the end of their playing careers

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Only 129M for a generational talent like Lebron? Damn. Klay Thompson's already made that much in fewer seasons played. I kinda feel bad for NHL salaries being a bit too low considering how much investment it takes to play hockey :(

Lol the average NHL salary is enough for me to comfortably retire on at age 25. I'm sure as shit not going to feel bad for them for what they're making :laugh:

The average NHLer makes $2.6 million or so a year, so you can live a $100k per year life and never run out of money using the rule of 4%. Yeah, I don't feel bad for any pro athlete when it comes to money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad