Crosby 19th consecutive PPG season

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Clearly you are just stat watching, and you're a wings fan... Fact is, Crosby injured himself in his prime. He was still the best when injured, everyone knew that. Even Martin St-Louis acknowledged it when he won the Art Ross by saying thank god Crosby injured himself that year, that was his only hope of winning the scoring title.
That’s fair but the best attribute in pro sports is availability. The record books won’t be kind to Sid’s case for top 5 of all time. The Cups of course help a lot but other guys have won a lot too.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't really follow NBA so I really don't care.

78 points in 78 games? Okay, sure. But when we start counting 22-game seasons as PPG seasons, it mostly loses meaning for me.

Take McDavid for example, he's had 8 ppg seasons in a row. The lowest amount of points he had during those is 97.
He's actually had 9 in a row. Or are we also not counting his 48 game rookie season? Because the NHL will count that one if McDavid continues these PPG+ seasons for the next decade to join Crosby and Gretzky.

That’s fair but the best attribute in pro sports is availability. The record books won’t be kind to Sid’s case for top 5 of all time. The Cups of course help a lot but other guys have won a lot too.
Why not? One of the players people keep debating whether they're better than Crosby or not is Jean Beliveau. He's got the same number of Harts and 1 less Ross (one less Conn Smythe).

Crosby's trophy case is among the best all-time (among those battling for Top 5 -- obviously he's below the Gretzkys of the world).

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
I don't think longevity will be an issue for Crosby.....there will be the "what if" of course....which possibly robbed him of hundreds of points, but that may just end up being a what if difference between finishing 5-10 in overall scoring vs. 2-5. He very well may end up top 20-25 in total games played even with his injury issues early in career.....even if he doesn't, he's played enough games already where that shouldn't be an issue like it is for Lemieux, Lindros, Forsberg, Bure, etc, etc.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
He's actually had 9 in a row. Or are we also not counting his 48 game rookie season? Because the NHL will count that one if McDavid continues these PPG+ seasons for the next decade to join Crosby and Gretzky.

Why not? One of the players people keep debating whether they're better than Crosby or not is Jean Beliveau. He's got the same number of Harts and 1 less Ross (one less Conn Smythe).

Crosby's trophy case is among the best all-time (among those battling for Top 5 -- obviously he's below the Gretzkys of the world).
His overall trophy cabinet puts him in Jagr tier, his stats put him below. I personally have him above Jagr but I watched both primes my entire life and I don’t see him as better than McDavid. We can have the Cup debate but that’s just my opinion.

If Crosby would have stayed healthy in his prime and won an additional 2 seasons worth of trophies, that would propel him firmly into that Orr/Lemieux/Howe tier. Him not having those trophies means his upside is like #5 or #6 overall, with those trophies he would have broken into the top-4.
Agreed 100%

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
If Crosby would have stayed healthy in his prime and won an additional 2 seasons worth of trophies, that would propel him firmly into that Orr/Lemieux/Howe tier. Him not having those trophies means his upside is like #5 or #6 overall, with those trophies he would have broken into the top-4.
IF Crosby had stayed healthy that has hm at likely the below

5 rosses (2011, 2012, and 2013) 5 harts and 5 lindsays + 2 rockets + 2 smythes

Has another 3 1st NHL teams (2008, 2011, and 2012)

His legacy would be ahead of Mcdavid now for sure.

However if we give Crosby perfect health than Orr and Lemieux should also get the same adjustment which pushes Gretzky from stand alone 1 to anywhere from #1 to 3 depending on how ML and BO dominate in a fully healthy career

In a perfectly healthy scenerio he peaks at #4 edging Howe potentially

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Why not give Gretzky and Howe perfect health too?
Howe & Gretzky from a games missed perspectivw didnt miss much time with their career injuries

For them you have to impact how much playing some points injured /playing after injury for Gretzky impacted their game

For gretzky how much of his decline was injury vs how much was aging (he was in his mid 30s I think when he took Sutter hit)

Lemieux and Orr only played ~900 and ~650 games for their careers.

With them they didnt get a chance to play 45-50% (Lemieux) and 50-60%% (Orr) of their expected careers

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Howe & Gretzky from a games missed perspectivw didnt miss much time with their career injuries

For them you have to impact how much playing some points injured /playing after injury for Gretzky impacted their game

For gretzky how much of his decline was injury vs how much was aging (he was in his mid 30s I think when he took Sutter hit)
He was 31. The year before (1990-91) he had 163 points in 78 games and 103 EVP. No one was even close to him at even strength in 1991. How good is 103 EVP? It's a number Lemieux never hit and was only on pace to hit twice.

In 1991-92 he dropped to 63 EVP (8th in EVP). It's a massive injury drop off. He publicly contemplated retirement.

The hit functionally removed 0.5 EVP/G from his arsenal.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Why not give Gretzky and Howe perfect health too?
I think the big difference is *when* Crosby missed his time. Crosby missed the most games during what would have been not just his prime, but his PEAK. Guys like Gretzky, Howe, Orr, and honestly maybe even Lemieux, largely started to see their injuries show up outside of their peak.

Reactions: wetcoast

Salsa Shark

Sep 1, 2009
Jersey
Howe & Gretzky from a games missed perspectivw didnt miss much time with their career injuries For them you have to impact how much playing some points injured /playing after injury for Gretzky impacted their game For gretzky how much of his decline was injury vs how much was aging (he was in his mid 30s I think when he took Sutter hit) Lemieux and Orr only played ~900 and ~650 games for their careers. With them they didnt get a chance to play 45-50% (Lemieux) and 50-60%% (Orr) of their expected careers
Howe & Gretzky from a games missed perspectivw didnt miss much time with their career injuries For them you have to impact how much playing some points injured /playing after injury for Gretzky impacted their game For gretzky how much of his decline was injury vs how much was aging (he was in his mid 30s I think when he took Sutter hit) Lemieux and Orr only played ~900 and ~650 games for their careers. With them they didnt get a chance to play 45-50% (Lemieux) and 50-60%% (Orr) of their expected careers

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
I think the big difference is *when* Crosby missed his time. Crosby missed the most games during what would have been not just his prime, but his PEAK. Guys like Gretzky, Howe, Orr, and honestly maybe even Lemieux, largely started to see their injuries show up outside of their peak.
Howe's biggest injury was in 1950, before he ever won a trophy.

Honestly, his broken skull and concussion is a bigger on ice injury than Crosby or Lemieux ever suffered. A brain hemorrhage is a massive injury.

Reactions: Voight and Zuluss

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
What Crosby does better than anyone is longevity even with missing a season and a half. Sid is far better at this age than anyone including Gretzky who went from the best ever to pretty good. Crosby is still really good. Plus he can go another 2 years here at a high level as one of the best players in the league. No one and I mean no one is close to his play for 20 years. How good do you think all the really good players now look like in 10 years? look at some of the stars now who are in their mid 30's, they are not close to their prime. Crosby still is.
It's crazy that as a 36 year old he's outproducing guys like Matthew Tkachuk, Elias Petterson, Matt Barzal, Jason Robertson. Those type of guys are in their absolute prime.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
He is 7th or 8th all time dont see any9ne changing that

1. Gretzky
2. Howe
3. Lemieux
4. Orr
5. Mcdavid

6. Hasek
7. Crosby/Bobby Hull
8. Bobby Hull/Crosby

Legendary career which at one point looked like he may be in the 1st group. Wasn't meant to be but still, he is basically the Kobe Bryant + Tim Duncan mixed of hockey
You're overrating McDavid. He absolutely has no place to be in the top 5 all time list as of now. Bring this discussion again once his career ends.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
None of this is true.

Howe's biggest injury was in 1950. He was 22 years old and had yet to win any trophy. The brain hemorrhage impacted his memory and focus the entire next season. He broke his wrist in 1955 (which hampered him the rest of his life), at age 27.

Lemieux's back problems started in 1989-90 (in earnest) when he was 24.

Gretzky first hurt his shoulder in 1983-84 (during his 51 game point streak) at age 23 and never got back his ability to drive to the net. He majorly injured his knee in 1988 (age 27) and was noticeably slower the rest of his career. Let alone his back injury in 1991 (age 30) which ended his prime and caused him to publicly contemplate retirement.

Orr first hurt his knee as a rookie (age 18) and talks in his book that he never fully regained his speed. He torn it again in 1973 (age 25), ending his prime. There's a distinct difference in his play pre and post-1973 knee injury.

All of these injuries were during prime play and in the case of Orr and Howe, their big injuries were pre-prime.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Considering how badly he was injured during his peak, it’s incredible what he is doing today.

Absolutely goes down as one of the best of all time.

Reactions: TNT87

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
None of this is true.

Howe's biggest injury was in 1950. He was 22 years old and had yet to win any trophy. The brain hemorrhage impacted his memory and focus the entire next season. He broke his wrist in 1955 (which hampered him the rest of his life), at age 27.

Lemieux's back problems started in 1989-90 (in earnest) when he was 24.

Gretzky first hurt his shoulder in 1983-84 (during his 51 game point streak) at age 23 and never got back his ability to drive to the net. He majorly injured his knee in 1988 (age 27) and was noticeably slower the rest of his career. Let alone his back injury in 1991 (age 30) which ended his prime and caused him to publicly contemplate retirement.

Orr first hurt his knee as a rookie (age 18) and talks in his book that he never fully regained his speed. He torn it again in 1973 (age 25), ending his prime. There's a distinct difference in his play pre and post-1973 knee injury.

All of these injuries were during prime play and in the case of Orr and Howe, their big injuries were pre-prime.
Sid lost some of his burst speed after his ankle injury when he was 19.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Considering how badly he was injured during his peak, it’s incredible what he is doing today.

Absolutely goes down as one of the best of all time.
Besides the injuries he’s also lost a lot of games to things completely out of his control like the pandemic and lockouts. If not for those events on top of the injuries he’d easily have another 200+ points on his total.

And Ovie might have already passed Gretzky.

Reactions: Ol' Jase

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad