Crosby 19th consecutive PPG season

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
One more point and he breaks the record for most ppg+ seasons. Incredible productive consistency.

2 harts
2 ross
2 smythe
2 rockets
3 lindsays
3 cups
2 olympic golds ( OT winning goal)
World Cup +MVP
19 straight ppg+ seasons

That right there is why he is the 5th greatest of all times. Guy has it all. Abundance of championships. MVPs etc. You name it he has done it multiple times

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
I'm glad that we are past the I have to hate Crosby or Ovechkin part of their careers.

Crosby hitting PPG 19 seasons in a row, and Ovechkin becoming the first player to start their career with 19 straight 20-goal seasons should tell you all you need to know about their place in NHL history.

I see no reason why he won't break this record next year, and Ovechkin has firmly put the all-time goals chase back on track in the past 6 weeks.

Incredible talents. Enjoy them while they're here.

paracord

May 5, 2016
With this he ties Gretzky for most ever PPG seasons.

There are 9 players to ever have 15 or more PPG seasons. They are:

Sidney Crosby 19
Wayne Gretzky 19
Gordie Howe 17
Evgeni Malkin 15
Mario Lemieux 15
Marcel Dionne 15
Mark Messier 15
Joe Sakic 15
Ron Francis 15

4 Penguins on the list! And I think this shows how underrated Malkin is to the general hockey world outside of PGH. Hell, in PGH he's underrated because of Crosby.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Dunno, I feel like for a season to count as a PPG season, the minimum amount of points that you should have is the amount of games that your team played that season.

If a player plays only 1 NHL game and scores a point in it, is that a PPG season? Just sounds wrong to me.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Dunno, I feel like for a season to count as a PPG season, the minimum amount of points that you should have is the amount of games that your team played that season.

If a player plays only 1 NHL game and scores a point in it, is that a PPG season? Just sounds wrong to me.
So an NBA player can't average 30 points per game unless they play all the games?

People seem incredibly unaware that the biggest reason points and ppg are treated differently between sports is due to the size of the numbers

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

Yes, That is how a “point per game” works.

You play 1 game and you collect 1 point, you are a point per game player

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

snag

Feb 22, 2014

True.....the 22 game season kinda tarnishes it. But I guess the 37 points in that span pulls it back just a bit too. Total tug o war there...

But overall great career....too bad about the head though.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
With this he ties Gretzky for most ever PPG seasons.

There are 9 players to ever have 15 or more PPG seasons. They are:

Sidney Crosby 19
Wayne Gretzky 19
Gordie Howe 17
Evgeni Malkin 15
Mario Lemieux 15
Marcel Dionne 15
Mark Messier 15
Joe Sakic 15
Ron Francis 15

4 Penguins on the list! And I think this shows how underrated Malkin is to the general hockey world outside of PGH. Hell, in PGH he's underrated because of Crosby.

It shows how lucky they were when it comes to the draft.

Reactions: Voight

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Yes, That is how a “point per game” works.

You play 1 game and you collect 1 point, you are a point per game player
Exactly. You can't come up with min games for the stat to count, it's a simple mathematical stat and every player in history has the opportunity to accumulate ppg the same way and no one else in history, not even Gretzky, will have gone PPG+ for 19 years like Crosby (this assumes he gets at least 1 point in his next 8 games).

It's just a stat though....if you want to drag a guy down because of missed games in a few years (I know who will)....that's fine, but it doesn't change the stat, the stat is the stat, you can simply argue why it isn't as impressive...which is dumb.

paracord

May 5, 2016
It shows how lucky they were when it comes to the draft.
Sure it's luck that any player pans out. But when the Penguins got Malkin, everyone was depressed that they missed out on Ovechkin. The Penguins were the worst team but got the 2nd pick in the lottery and Malkin was the consolation. In a lot of ways, Malkin is a better, more complete player than Ovechkin as it turned out.

And they didn't even draft Francis. They traded for him. Lemieux and Crosby were no-brainers, sure. And getting Crosby was massive lottery luck. :D

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

The stat is how many points the player scored per game played that season.... If a player had 1 point per game that they played in that season it's a season where they had 1 point per game played. Sounds like a silly explanation, but I'm not sure how much simpler it needs to be explained for it to be universally understood.

If the player finishes their career with 1000 games played and 1000 points scored, you would call them a "point per game" player. You wouldn't say that since they didn't score as many points as their teams had games that it doesn't count.

I'm not sure why it sounds wrong except for trying to discredit the achievement. I could understand people saying it's really not that important or whatever, but it's pretty much the basic statistic regarding points.

Reactions: Goose

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he would have scored a PPG that year considering he was pacing at almost 2 PPG when he got hurt. :D
Crosby would have easily cleared a ppg pace in any of his injury plagued seasons had he stayed healthy.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Even if we use the much tougher standard of requiring a player to score at least 1 point for every game on the schedule (so, for example, Jagr gets credit for 2000, but Lemieux doesn't get credit for 2001) - Crosby is still 3rd all-time with 15 such seasons. Only Gretzky and Howe have more (17 each).

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Sure it's luck that any player pans out. But when the Penguins got Malkin, everyone was depressed that they missed out on Ovechkin. The Penguins were the worst team but got the 2nd pick in the lottery and Malkin was the consolation. In a lot of ways, Malkin is a better, more complete player than Ovechkin as it turned out.

Please.

Everyone knew that Malkin would be a consensus #1 overall in any other year.

How lucky is it to get #2 in a draft where two #1 overalls were available?

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Still salty he missed all those games due to injury.
What could have been.

Even though in 77 games he let Jamie f***ing Benn win an Art Ross.
That will always be a blemish imo.

• Haha
Reactions: sanscosm

paracord

May 5, 2016
Please.

Everyone knew that Malkin would be a consensus #1 overall in any other year.

How lucky is it to get #2 in a draft where two #1 overalls were available?
No one even "knew" if he'd come to North America to play. He was definitely nowhere in the level of Ovechkin as far as sure fire #1s.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
He’s really showing no regression at all. How long does he want to play for, and if it is 5 or 6 more years can he get 2000 points? Would be pretty cool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad