Crosby 13 seasons at least a ppg

Randyne

May 20, 2012
You're arguing semantics at this point, and that's me being generous. He has been over a PPG player for 13 straight years. Seasons and years are synonymous here. Why this is the hill you want to die on, I really have no clue.
It is not semantics. Your title is selling seasons, not years. And your first post about "securing a season", Crosby secured above a PPG from the very first game of the season, from that time he could be injured, would you started a thread "Crosby 13 seasons at least a ppg"?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It is not a semantics. Your title is selling seasons, not years. And your first post about "securing a season", Crosby secured above a PPG from the very first game of the season, from that time he could be injured, would you started a thread "Crosby 13 seasons at least a ppg"?

Again, you're just arguing semantics at this point. "Seasons" and "years" are synonymous here. He has averaged over 1 point per every game played for 13 years. That's really all it comes down too, I really don't know why this is the thing you're deciding on arguing.

Reactions: Goku and NY99

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
It is not semantics. Your title is selling seasons, not years. And your first post about "securing a season", Crosby secured above a PPG from the very first game of the season, from that time he could be injured, would you started a thread "Crosby 13 seasons at least a ppg"?
Define what an NHL season for a player is.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Wow.... So ummm back to Crosby.

Impressive streak from Crosby, too bad injuries took away some of his best years.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
40 years from now there's going to be questions on how a healthy Ovechkin in his prime put up 65 points

In a thorough examination of his career, sure. But like, say Lidstrom's '04, Trottier's '83, Yzerman's '95, Francis' '92, etc, it will largely be glossed over and forgotten in the grand scheme of his career and status within the game.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
40 years from now there's going to be questions on how a healthy Ovechkin in his prime put up 65 points

Wasn't that the Dale Hunter year where the Caps decided to try to win every game 2 to 1? God that was bad hockey for them. Probably didn't help Ovechkin's numbers.

Look at how Sid was under Mike Johnston. His worst offensive hockey by far. Sometimes those ultra defensive snooze coaches can really kill a guys's numbers.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
The most boring superstar to ever play in the league. But he manages to be so damn consistent without ever really leading the league in an offensive category. Led the league in goals twice, assists once, overall points twice, pretty unimpressive really, but the man just keeps piling up points which is really very impressive. :clap:

that's just you

every time he has the puck i start to wonder what he will do next to top himself

Reactions: Leonhard Euler

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
For me it's 3/4 GP or more

I thought a full season is 82 games. So if you're going to argue semantics about Crosby not being point per game every season because he played too few games, you can't just arbitrarily pick a number to define a full season.

It's either a full 82 games where a player scores 82 points or more, or it's any number of games played where the player scores more points than the games he plays. Don't start moving goal posts when you've decided to base your entire argument on silly semantics.

Reactions: Goku

Randyne

May 20, 2012
I thought a full season is 82 games.
There was a season with 48 GP in 2012/13.
It's either a full 82 games where a player scores 82 points or more, or it's any number of games played where the player scores more points than the games he plays.
The first part almost impossible for any player (playing 100% games throughout a career).
The second part, any article about Crosby describes injury seasons as limited, didn't find article which ignores so many missed games and consider these seasons as full seasons.

Last edited:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I thought a full season is 82 games. So if you're going to argue semantics about Crosby not being point per game every season because he played too few games, you can't just arbitrarily pick a number to define a full season.

It's either a full 82 games where a player scores 82 points or more, or it's any number of games played where the player scores more points than the games he plays. Don't start moving goal posts when you've decided to base your entire argument on silly semantics.
All of you guys knocking one side of the argument by using the words "silly semantics". What exactly is your side of the argument based on?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Crosby now has scored 47 goals and 69 assists for a total of 116 points in 80 career games(regular season+playoffs) against the Flyers.

The only players I know for certain that have scored more against the Flyers are Mario Lemieux, and Jaromir Jagr.

He likes the Islanders too (including playoffs).

Games: 66
Goals: 35
Assists: 80

NY99

Mar 26, 2018
But the argument you're making isn't that Crosby is better than PPG in his career. Which, in itself is a great accomplishment. You're saying he has done that for 13 straight seasons. A season is 82 games. No ifs, ands, or buts to say otherwise. You can't give a guy credit for missing games when trying to show his consistency and durability.

Nobody's "giving him credit" for missing games. The PPG stat inherently overlooks that. You're trying to discredit this one statistic because it doesn't paint a complete picture of Crosby's career. But nobody's claiming it does.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Malkin has 1 season under ppg and that was because of a serious injury. Otherwise he'd have 12 straight
Ovechkin has 3 seasons under ppg simply because he played poorly

Ovechkin is the one that's inconsistent

It's easy to be PPG when you miss 20 games every season.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Points divided by Per Game?

How about P/G?

You guys will have to discuss it at the PPG arena.

images

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Wasn't that the Dale Hunter year where the Caps decided to try to win every game 2 to 1? God that was bad hockey for them. Probably didn't help Ovechkin's numbers.

Look at how Sid was under Mike Johnston. His worst offensive hockey by far. Sometimes those ultra defensive snooze coaches can really kill a guys's numbers.

There was a clear physical decline in Ovechkin that was already underway then. Hunter just exacerbated the statline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad