Creative solutions for getting rid of our goalies.

Joeffice

Mar 11, 2023
Regina
My God how do we make this happen? He's so bad they'll never take him.

He'd just get "injured" in Toronto with an unidentified ailment and take them off the hook for his salary leaving Ottawa to somehow need to keep paying their portion of his salary while he's "hurt" long term.

Last edited:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Just thinking of the loss against the Devils, you aren't going to win many games against a team like them who are good offensively by scoring just 2 goals. There's lots of things on the Senators that needs fixing.

Do 2-1 wins not exist anymore?

What happened to shutting teams down? I see other teams do it.

Heck, Jacques Martin's senators used to win games like that against explosive offenses all the time.

I see other teams get a lead on us and completely shut us down.

The idea that we shouldn't ever be able to win a game 2-1 or 2-0 isn't the right idea.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
Korpi/Forsberg are goalies who can excel behind good defense teams. Send them to Minnie, Kings, Nashville and they prob look like all stars.

With the way this team plays they need a Price/Luongo/Hasek goalie who will steal games.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
They may need to find a change of scenery trade for Korpisalo. Grubauer has not been good at all in Seattle. He also may have lost his job to Daccord. His cap hit is higher than Korpisalo's, but he has 1 year less remaining on his contract. He clearly is not a fit in the system of Seattle. The swap would save Seattle cap space, and I don't think there would be a market for Grubauer without retention.

One thing people need to consider is that we are in an era where scoring is much higher than it was 5 or so years ago. A .900+ goalie is rarer than it used to be. There are barely 30 goalies who are above .900 this season. Back in 2015-16, there were over 60 goalies above .900.

Korpisalo's cap hit isn't good, but it isn't that bad if he can be a .900 goalie for 30 or so games. He hasn't done that, but I would hesitate to place the blame on the goalies given where the team has been all season defensively. Whatever changes are instituted by the current coaching staff, if successful, aren't going to change things overnight. A change of scenery trade would be useless if it means thrusting another goalie into the same bad situation that contributed to the failure of Korpisalo.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Talbot for Gustavsson was crazyyyyyyyyy though

Talbot is the front runner for the Vezina this season.

He was bad in Ottawa.

Gustavsson was 2nd in save percentage last season, he was also bad in Ottawa.

I am starting to sense a pattern.

Anton Forsberg is the only goalie to have a strong season here under DJ Smith. No goalie has ever looked consistently good behind his team. I think it is a lot more likely that they don't have a goalie issue, but a team issue. Whether Martin can change that before the end of the season, or the next head coach can, I guess we will see.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

He was bad in Ottawa.

Anton Forsberg is the only goalie to have a strong season here under DJ Smith. No goalie has ever looked consistently good behind his team. I think it is a lot more
Exactly.

Someone should be able to pull a stat out that proves is
likely that they don't have a goalie issue, but a team issue. Whether Martin can change that before the end of the season, or the next head coach can, I guess we will see.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Goalies and defenceman getting blamed for the breakdowns the forwards cause.

Now the goalies and defenceman are shell shocked and play with no confidence.

So people pile on the goalies and defenceman more.

Meanwhile Brady sad because he can't abandon his teammates to go cherry pick for breakaways anymore.

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
Another solid .800 performance from Korpi tonight. How do we get out from under this contract?
It would sure be a shame if he crossed a border with oxys or had to get his contract ended from a breach of player ethics 😔
I think 5 years wasn't enough. We need this guy signed through the next decade :sarcasm::DD.

Thanks Dorion!

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Pierre Lebrun was on TSN about a week ago.. I think it was Gino Reda that was interviewing him,

Lebrun said (And I am paraphrasing).

By his reckoning, in having talked to all teams. Only about 8... yes! 8... felt comfortable with their goalies// He said, he had never seen the goalie world so chaotic.

So imagine.,. 8 out of 32 teams feel good about their guy.

That leaves 24, WHO DO NOT.

What trade do you make, who do you seek out???? And how do you do so with 23 teams competing with you. And if only 8 teams are okay with their goalies.. That means 8 starters, and possibly 8 back-ups.

so 16 goalies in total... 32 team league.

Best of luck in fixing this

Reactions: Sensatauro

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
This team is badly constructed, our D is way to soft, our 4th line is thrash and our goaltenders are way too inconsistent. And the worst part is that we are paying those guys like they're a cup contending team. We have the 8th highest cap let that sink in for a minute. The new GM will need to fix a lot of bad mistakes made by the previous GM, might as well tank for the rest of the season and get a high draft pick.

Joeffice

Mar 11, 2023
Regina
Last couple of cup winners won with an average goalie and a well built team. How many playoff teams have the same undisputed number one year after year?

Twenty years ago, Jacques Martin turned Marian Hossa into a defensively astute forward, and had Patrick Lalime looking like a franchise goalie...

Is it that important to keep recycling goalies and waste more and more cap space paying goalies to play for other teams?

Last edited:
Reactions: xVolchenkov

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
I am with the minority here and think Korpisalo is actually a very good goalie. Like the rest of the team, I think there is a mental / emotional component that needs fixing.

Hopefully, if there is only one thing Martin does during his interim tenure, its fix the mental state of this team. I really think that is the bottleneck right now to our success.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Yeah im not ready to write off Korpi yet either. He often looks good. Gotta see how he looks behind a more structured team

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
How about we fix the defense before worrying about goaltending.

If this defense gets fixed and the goalies are still letting in soft goals, then we can talk.

But i guarantee you that any goalie would end up with stats that Korpi has right now.

There is only a select few that may be able to excel on this team.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Do 2-1 wins not exist anymore?

What happened to shutting teams down? I see other teams do it.

Heck, Jacques Martin's senators used to win games like that against explosive offenses all the time.

I see other teams get a lead on us and completely shut us down.

The idea that we shouldn't ever be able to win a game 2-1 or 2-0 isn't the right idea.
Sure, and speaking of right ideas, more than just the goalie is involved and necessary for those 2 - 1 games. If a team is really good, they can have a lot of success even with an average goaltender, or even veritable unknown & unproven goaltenders. Using a recent example, the VGK didn't have a known top tender and managed to win the Cup.

And the Devils have a 3.50 GF/GP, and are 7th in that category (top 25 percentile). I'm not saying our goalies have been good, because they certainly have been disappointing. I'm just saying that it will take a lot more than this to actually have a significant level of success. I think there's a lot of people loathe to admit that there's still a lot of holes and work to be done and possibly overestimate what we have in place.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
How about we fix the defense before worrying about goaltending.

If this defense gets fixed and the goalies are still letting in soft goals, then we can talk.

But i guarantee you that any goalie would end up with stats that Korpi has right now.

There is only a select few that may be able to excel on this team.
Here's the problem with that

It's virtually impossible to fix a defense when soft goals are constantly being let in. Playing defense effectively means giving up the shot you want as an individual or as a team giving up the shots you want.

When you give up the shot you want and it goes in, everyone deflates. That's happening pretty much constantly this year and the only solution to it is making those saves

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Goaltending, injuries, schedule, etc... all excuses to cope and avoid to look at the reality in the eyes.

We had a terrible owner, a terrible GM and a terrible coaching staff for YEARS. What we are witnessing this season is the end result of this.

Now we have a new owner, new management (no new GM yet?) and a new coaching staff (only by interim?)

We are in fixing mode and it might take a while

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Unless someone offers us a 2nd rounder or a coupe of 3rds for Forsberg we might as well keep him and let Sogaard cook while we figure out our team defense. No one is touching Korpisalo's contract and he can still bounce back.

Our goalies are fine, but our team defense is shit as evidenced by former Sens goalies being dope elsewhere.

Reactions: NikoEhlers and bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

He was bad in Ottawa.

Anton Forsberg is the only goalie to have a strong season here under DJ Smith. No goalie has ever looked consistently good behind his team. I think it is a lot more likely that they don't have a goalie issue, but a team issue. Whether Martin can change that before the end of the season, or the next head coach can, I guess we will see.
Gustavsson only struggled in Ottawa when he played in front of half an NHL team (they all had covid) in an empty rink. He was good otherwise and was only 22. One of Dorions worst all time trades.

L.A might be the best defensive team in the NHL. Talbot stunk here he still loses his net I see it all the time.

Very different situations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad