Injury Report: Crawford (head)

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
You have no idea though. From a PR standpoint you are wrong because they can handle it cleanly if needed.
I'm pretty confident. There is a reason Ward got a NMC, he isn't going to mutually terminate the rest of what he is owed. (1mil+)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I do not see the Hawks terminating Ward's deal unless Ward himself says he is done. Ward is a pretty stand up/classy guy - maybe when Crow comes back Ward might feel he has nothing left to offer here and lets Delia take his spot...outside of that I would be floored if the Hawks did anything to rid them of Ward.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I do not see the Hawks terminating Ward's deal unless Ward himself says he is done. Ward is a pretty stand up/classy guy - maybe when Crow comes back Ward might feel he has nothing left to offer here and lets Delia take his spot...outside of that I would be floored if the Hawks did anything to rid them of Ward.

It would be letting him find another place to play more than riding themselves.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
It would be letting him find another place to play more than riding themselves.
oh I know only problem with that is it is Cam Ward...not sure anyone in this league would take him on, and with his kids situation I do not see him wanting to go anywhere else. I am just guessing here but his situation seems like Hawks for rest of the year or retirement and nothing else to me.

Reactions: ClydeLee

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
But that is how it's run, and there's nothing anywhere that says it isn't...

And ok, he said "There are still signs of a concussion lingering, when that's completely gone, then I'll be comfortable playing." Who are you or anyone else to say that the signs weren't gone 8 days later, and he felt comfortable playing?? That's the assumption that would be made from that. Not that there's some grand conspiracy and pressure on him/someone forcing him to play when he's not ready...

You're completely speculating, and then trying to pass that off as gospel/truth. When it's not. It's simply speculation/guessing on your part. And you're making it up to fit your narrative that doctors and teams aren't doing enough. How about this... the players aren't doing enough?

And there are different grades and different symptoms. Some clear you for skating, some clear you for contact... etc. Look no further than Crow earlier this year. First reports came out that he was out on the ice practicing by himself, and just skating. Then a few days or a week later, he's out on the ice with the team, but not taking shots. Then a week later he's taking shots, but nothing high. (Just like this latest video of him). Then he's a deemed a "full participant" with no restrictions, and he starts practicing normally, and gets into game action.

As the symptoms subside, the activity ramps up, until they're cleared. Starts with a bike, and light workout. If symptoms persist after that, and/or return, then they stop, wait a few days or week, and then try again. If there are no symptoms, they advance to the next stage of returning, something like no contact practice, and just skating. Again, activity ramps up as symptoms stop presenting themselves...

If they have a setback and other symptoms return, they go back to not skating, and just working out, or to no contact, etc... Everything we see about concussions tells us this is exactly how it works in the NHL, but you're just speculating that this isn't the way it goes, with nothing to back that up...
You're describing a system that contradicts the actual occurrence.

Toews would of stopped skating or stopped taking contact in practice because of him still feeling symptoms if it was working. If he was getting better and feeling less symptoms still... then why when hes feeling symptoms to begin with is he skating?

Why is he taking contact of he feels any symptoms at all? How does that help recovery? (It helps him get in game shape is what it helps) Why are doctors letting this happen and not making the standards extremely tougher to pass. I dont know why you or anyone trusts these standards to protect players.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
You're describing a system that contradicts the actual occurrence.

Toews would of stopped skating or stopped taking contact in practice because of him still feeling symptoms if it was working. If he was getting better and feeling less symptoms still... then why when hes feeling symptoms to begin with is he skating?

Why is he taking contact of he feels any symptoms at all? How does that help recovery? (It helps him get in game shape is what it helps) Why are doctors letting this happen and not making the standards extremely tougher to pass. I dont know why you or anyone trusts these standards to protect players.

:huh: to this entire post. I don't think you understand the system if you think my description of it contradicts it... And you don't understand concussions, symptoms, or recovery protocol.

You progressively start doing more and more... as the symptoms gradually subside, but that doesn't necessarily mean you don't do anything at all until they're completely gone... You continually work out through them.

You need to do more research on concussions, and I'll leave it at that. Not trying to be insulting, but your knowledge on the subject is definitely lacking, and that's a big reason for your thinking the way you do, honestly. You don't just completely stop all activity while you're experiencing symptoms, and then resume activity when symptoms are completely gone. You actually work through the symptoms, and (like I said before) ramp up the intensity, as the symptoms subside and gradually go away. It's not an all or nothing thing...

Here are some resources for you.

Should you stop exercising after a concussion? New research says no. – Neurologic Rehabilitation Institute

Concussion - Brainstreams
Bullet points from the Brainstreams link as far as recovery:
  • Avoid any strenuous exercise or activity in the first few days or weeks following your concussion
  • Once your symptoms settle down start with light aerobic exercise such as walking
  • Gradually increase frequency (how often), then duration (length of time), and finally intensity (how heavy, how fast, how hard) of exercise
  • If your symptoms get worse then reduce the intensity and duration
  • Get your doctors consent before returning to intensive exercise or competitive sports
  • Follow the Return to Play (or activity) Guidelines from Parachute
Parachute - Preventing Injuries. Saving Lives.

Physical Activity May Be the Best Medicine for Concussion

All your questions you asked about Toews are answered in the above post, and the links I've provided. Educate yourself. (This isn't meant to be rude.)

Last edited:
Reactions: ClydeLee

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
BOTTOMLINE: Crow is responsible for how he lives his life. If the doctors say it's okay to play, it's his decision to make.

HOWEVER, we, as fans, have the right to ask Crow to stop playing for his long term health. He doesn't have to listen, but fans have the right to care about their sports stars. Ultimately, fans are the consumers. Customers have the right to voice their opinion in regards to the content they consume.

Reactions: LDF

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Again, @ClydeLee wasn't trying to be rude or insulting. I genuinely think your opinion of it is drawn from a lack of knowledge on concussion protocol at this time, and want to help you understand it better. That's all. If I came off condescending that wasn't my intention. Written words suck for conveying how you're actually saying something.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Crawford is a grown man and it's his and his doctor's decision to play or not. However, myself (and I'm sure many others here) are concerned with how the last year and a month has been for him. I personally would rather see him retire (retire as in go on injured reserve for next season collecting what he's owed and not playing another game) then have him risk his long term health, but again, the decision isn't mine to make.

If he does come back this season, you simple send Delia back down to Rockford for the rest of the season. It's not like he wasn't going to be Rockford bound eventually this season (if the Icehogs make it to the playoffs, it makes total sense to give him the starts). Bowman needs to just remind the kid that he's a big part of the organizations future and that while he's going back down for now, he's expected to be at worst the backup for the Hawks next season. Delia will understand and knowing how he handles himself in interviews, I expect that he'd welcome the opportunity to play for games that matter.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Is he owed anything? His deal is reported as a 3.0 signing bonus.
According to capfriendly, there is zero bonus money.

I just don't see what the big deal is here, IMO, it would be better for Delia to go down and start majority of games in the AHL than be up here behind Crow and behind this D anyway.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
:huh: to this entire post. I don't think you understand the system if you think my description of it contradicts it... And you don't understand concussions, symptoms, or recovery protocol.

You progressively start doing more and more... as the symptoms gradually subside, but that doesn't necessarily mean you don't do anything at all until they're completely gone... You continually work out through them.

You need to do more research on concussions, and I'll leave it at that. Not trying to be insulting, but your knowledge on the subject is definitely lacking, and that's a big reason for your thinking the way you do, honestly. You don't just completely stop all activity while you're experiencing symptoms, and then resume activity when symptoms are completely gone. You actually work through the symptoms, and (like I said before) ramp up the intensity, as the symptoms subside and gradually go away. It's not an all or nothing thing...

Here are some resources for you.

Should you stop exercising after a concussion? New research says no. – Neurologic Rehabilitation Institute

Concussion - Brainstreams
Bullet points from the Brainstreams link as far as recovery:
  • Avoid any strenuous exercise or activity in the first few days or weeks following your concussion
  • Once your symptoms settle down start with light aerobic exercise such as walking
  • Gradually increase frequency (how often), then duration (length of time), and finally intensity (how heavy, how fast, how hard) of exercise
  • If your symptoms get worse then reduce the intensity and duration
  • Get your doctors consent before returning to intensive exercise or competitive sports
  • Follow the Return to Play (or activity) Guidelines from Parachute
Parachute - Preventing Injuries. Saving Lives.

Physical Activity May Be the Best Medicine for Concussion

All your questions you asked about Toews are answered in the above post, and the links I've provided. Educate yourself. (This isn't meant to be rude, just fact.)
Its valid system but my point still contained how Toews admitted to say he thinks he came back too soon. But when you look at how players are treated it is not a determination of fair

Yeah the majority of players are fine after returning from brain concerns but that many still arent and get easily damaged after supposedly being clear should be reason to not accept the standards as they are.

"Meanwhile, despite following protocol and being cleared, Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews admitted this week he wasn’t fully recovered from a concussion when he competed in the playoffs last spring. Balance and sight issues only recently subsided following five days of tests and corrective procedures at the Carrick Institute at Life University in Marietta, Ga., the same the chiropractic neurology facility that treated Sidney Crosby from concussion symptoms that were threatening his career. Toews had missed the last two months of the regular season with the concussion and that certainly got Daniel Sedin’s attention."

Toews is finally over concussion symptoms but Daniel Sedin miffed at head-shot mentality

Here's a Vancouver article also about Toews admittance and when he got recovered. Theres a Tribune article about it but their website doesnt actually have the article or its locked or something.

Toews went to the Carrick Institute and it's the same place Carcillo said he will donate his brain to. You can believe the prototcal and doctors do enough and the players are safe.

It will be on Corey but I dont see valid trust to be had in the protocol or doctor evaluations of his health to return.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
According to capfriendly, there is zero bonus money.

I just don't see what the big deal is here, IMO, it would be better for Delia to go down and start majority of games in the AHL than be up here behind Crow and behind this D anyway.

Weird. The other source I saw all bonus money. I would rather Delia split time with Crow.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Delia going back down isn't the end of the world, but at this point we need to see what we have here in the kid. Cam Ward offers this team absolutely nothing at this point and him being here now possibly could hold back a piece of our future. Crow is only signed for 1 more year and he hasn't been healthy the past 2 seasons, we better be damn sure Delia is our guy and I don't see how we figure that out with him in the AHL when Crow returns.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Delia going back down isn't the end of the world, but at this point we need to see what we have here in the kid. Cam Ward offers this team absolutely nothing at this point and him being here now possibly could hold back a piece of our future. Crow is only signed for 1 more year and he hasn't been healthy the past 2 seasons, we better be damn sure Delia is our guy and I don't see how we figure that out with him in the AHL when Crow returns.
Give Cam his money and release him. Let Crow back up Delia. If Crow can't continue, bring up Forsberg. Respect Cam Ward. He has no future with the Blackhawks. We're not making the playoffs. It's best we let him extend his career with another team ... UNLESS he's willing to play in Rockford.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Give Cam his money and release him. Let Crow back up Delia. If Crow can't continue, bring up Forsberg. Respect Cam Ward. He has no future with the Blackhawks. We're not making the playoffs. It's best we let him extend his career with another team ... UNLESS he's willing to play in Rockford.
I would be floored if Ward accepts Rockford...and I wouldn't blame him either..

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
Crow practiced normally on the 11th and has no plans to retire.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/b...els-back-normal-and-ready-go-again-blackhawks

Crawford was placed in concussion protocol for the second time in a year when he smacked the back of his head on the post in a game against San Jose on Dec. 16. The first time kept him out for 10 months. This time around, it sidelined him for about two months. "I had a few similar symptoms, but it was obviously a little bit quicker," Crawford said. "It was nice to not wait that long. But I don't know what to say, it's just try to stay patient, try and be confident that it won't last long. It's nice that it's back to normal." Crawford acknowledged that at no point did he ever consider retiring from hockey. He's always been committed to playing and returning whenever doctors give him the green light.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Crow practiced normally on the 11th and has no plans to retire.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/b...els-back-normal-and-ready-go-again-blackhawks

Crawford was placed in concussion protocol for the second time in a year when he smacked the back of his head on the post in a game against San Jose on Dec. 16. The first time kept him out for 10 months. This time around, it sidelined him for about two months. "I had a few similar symptoms, but it was obviously a little bit quicker," Crawford said. "It was nice to not wait that long. But I don't know what to say, it's just try to stay patient, try and be confident that it won't last long. It's nice that it's back to normal." Crawford acknowledged that at no point did he ever consider retiring from hockey. He's always been committed to playing and returning whenever doctors give him the green light.

Recovers from a violent impact to the back of his head, with the post, in two months. Takes a year to recover from ....nobody seems to know?? OK Crow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad