Post-Game Talk: craps @ RANGERS

3 Stars

• Total voters

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
One thing that was said post-game is that Quinn talked about focusing on the defensive side of the puck. Said the first two years he has been here, it's been too loose in their own zone. You can see that they aren't getting caved in anymore. No 40 shot games against.

Might be a reason why they're struggling to score. The focus is not winning 5-4 games, but making sure they clean up their own zone. Then add in injuries and you've basically got 2 lines that can create offense and two that are more grinding lines.

I think once Chytil is back, they'll be able to have those 3 scoring type lines and give balance back to the team. From there, I think we'll begin to see a more potent offense.
The looseness was all over the ice. They had to clean up in all three zones.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
Igor quietly at 2.2 GAA and Save percentage .922%. Guy is gonna get better too.
You can see from his style he’s legit. I love Hank bit his style was stiff it worked but Shesty is like butter. A beautiful flow. And nice to watch.

Reactions: bl02

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
I bet we won due to Nolan Ryans ability to partially block the pucks.

On a serious note, is everything okay with Sam? Just getting more and more weird on MSG for every game.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
This is the first time in my recent memory where we played an afternoon game and the other team seemed like they didn't wake up for a change. I fully expected the Caps to bring the ruckus in the third, but maybe that puck in the soup cooler left Free Willy uninterested. Amazed they didn't start with their cheap shit.

Reactions: McSauer

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
You can't imagine how happy I am that Benanati doesn't call games anymore I couldn't stand listening to him and he did many games.

it's a testament to Beninati's "talent" that he's probably the closest to Jack Edwards for the most muted announcer in hockey.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
You can see from his style he’s legit. I love Hank bit his style was stiff it worked but Shesty is like butter. A beautiful flow. And nice to watch.
He’s gotta solidify some fundamentals/positioning on weak angles and surprise shots, looking better and better though. He’s reading the play way better and tracking the puck really well

Reactions: Cmox

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
it's a testament to Beninati's "talent" that he's probably the closest to Jack Edwards for the most muted announcer in hockey.

At least Jack Edwards isn't f***ing terrible at his job, he's just a homer. You got this feeling that Beninati is off brand Emerick, like REALLY off brand. He didn't have his own style and tried to copy Emerick's but was just nearly as good.

Reactions: Cmox and Rongomania

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
A few thoughts:

*No matter what, we played with more confidence today and didn’t rush things.

*Shesty was great. Look, if lack of preparations are hard for the skaters, it’s 20x as hard for the goalies. And if you are a rookie on top of that?

*Sometimes a lot of talk focus on the outcome of a game. We got the 1st goal, thx to a PP (really a horrible rebound), we got goaltending. That helped.

But let’s not forget, there are two teams on the ice and this 12:30 game is probably seen as one of the worst showings in Washington. 100%, we didn’t make it easy for them. Not to take much away from us, we certainly played a team that relies a lot on energy in a really early 12:30 start and basically showed zero energy.

*Just a general observation the NHL — IS — a tremendous tear on defensemens. Like 50% of the job is to be able to play somewhat within an acceptable range of how you can play in G1 during the entire schedule.

KAndre Miller was in no shape or form bad, but you can just see that he is a bit worn down now compared to week 1 and the season has barely started.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
At least Jack Edwards isn't f***ing terrible at his job, he's just a homer. You got this feeling that Beninati is off brand Emerick, like REALLY off brand. He didn't have his own style and tried to copy Emerick's but was just nearly as good.

"Try the new Doc-Light! Same shitty taste but a new, lesser flavor!"

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
A few thoughts:

*No matter what, we played with more confidence today and didn’t rush things.

*Shesty was great. Look, if lack of preparations are hard for the skaters, it’s 20x as hard for the goalies. And if you are a rookie on top of that?

*Sometimes a lot of talk focus on the outcome of a game. We got the 1st goal, thx to a PP (really a horrible rebound), we got goaltending. That helped.

But let’s not forget, there are two teams on the ice and this 12:30 game is probably seen as one of the worst showings in Washington. 100%, we didn’t make it easy for them. Not to take much away from us, we certainly played a team that relies a lot on energy in a really early 12:30 start and basically showed zero energy.

*Just a general observation the NHL — IS — a tremendous tear on defensemens. Like 50% of the job is to be able to play somewhat within an acceptable range of how you can play in G1 during the entire schedule.

KAndre Miller was in no shape or form bad, but you can just see that he is a bit worn down now compared to week 1 and the season has barely started.

And this is what I hate at times. When we lack energy everyone's rightfully pissed, when the other team lacks energy it's still somehow a bad thing for us. Maybe we contributed to that lack of energy.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
It's interesting that Quinn catches so much grief from some circles for not using young Kakko enough yet the Rangers have their best game without the kid in the lineup. Don't get me wrong, I like KK, but he's got some growing to do before he's the next Mike Gartner. Hopefully he's okay and back soon.

I don't think that his absence changed how we played, hes been the top forward of late in takeaways .

Reactions: Joe Ranger Fan 1960

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Good point regarding KAM, @Ola. I’m sure we get a bit of a riot here but I bet the coaching staff will (rightfully) give him a healthy scratch eventually to get a breather.

Reactions: egelband

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I mean, did he look good?

I admittedly only saw one period but he spent that period not being able to leave his own zone.
Washington was home and had final shift. The purposefully sent out their top line against Brendan Smith, who was rather immobile and even took penalties because he was getting a bit bullied.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Fox is better offensively than anything we ever saw with McDonagh, both at articulating offensive zone play and in breakouts. McDonagh was similarly high IQ, but did not have the same offensive touch. However, McDonagh was a more powerful skater, McDonagh could take 3 horse-like power strides and catch up with almost any player in the game and he just looked so sturdy out there even while skating back and playing the man.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
So, safe to check in again now that the team had won two in a row and is one game from NHL .500? Or do we still hate everything and think everyone’s a bust?

Yeah I am really concerned.

Now Kakko was hurt which made Laf change line yet again. But I cannot help but to compare the total random use of Laf and the wide range of usage of him covering the entire spectrum of possible roles, style of teammates and what not — with how for example Tavares and Matthews were used their rookie seasons. Right or wrong it’s so striking. With a FOA pick you get a lot of talent at 18, but you also always get a lot of flaws. Toronto and the Islanders those years put so much focus on (a) giving those kids support in the areas they needed it and (b) playing to their strengths.

I don’t sit on all the answers and can’t tell how the future will play out. But the contrast is extremely striking between the approach we have with our top picks and the ones used successfully by others. This organization has made some tremendous blunders over the years, some very recent, and the way we go about business here is another one.

I didn’t have any big concerns with Kakko’s usage last season and Laf’s usage so far this season. But the fact that Kakko is getting a really diminutive role this year again is really worrying me. And especially that no attempt whatsoever is made use him in roles playing to his strengths.

From my point of view, when you being a teenager on the roster in the NHL you make a commitment to pave the way for that kid or things tend to not play out well at all in the end. They are never — not even a Tavares or Matthews, nor Kakko or Laf — going to be able to force the way by themselves.

So yeah, I am really concerned. Lindgren looking good don’t change that. DQ is surely putting in some work and doing good things. No doubts about that. But we can’t get a 1st and 2nd overall pick and completely drop the ball on their development. The organization must play its part too.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Gold Medal Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,850.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Empoli vs AS Roma
    Empoli vs AS Roma
    Wagers: 2