Craig Smith

germanshark1311

Jan 9, 2011
hey guys,

can you say me more about this player? I like his style playing the game. Can he be a top 6 forward with his skills and abilities? I saw him the last world championship and he was very impressed...

Thank you for your answers!

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Yes he can be a top 6 forward but he has some more work to do on his game especially on the defense end in the current system he plays in. IMO his skill set and what he is good at does not fit what Trotz stubborn ways require. He is also mixed and matched constantly with different players and has never had the chance to gel build chemistry with anyone. This again due to coaching.

He shows the speed, skill, and creativity to be a top 6 already. It's a matter of being put into a position to excel. Will he be a top 6 in Trotz eyes? doubt it. Any other team I would be willing to go with yes top 6.

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
Great puck-handling, wheels and overall skill set. Has a drive to make things happen on the ice. Very underrated young player who needs some time to grow his game and work through his mistakes. I don't think his defensive game is his strong suit. Has probably the best offensive skills of our young players since Radulov IMO.

He looks like one of those players who has become afraid to make mistakes on the ice. Would probably have had much better numbers in another system.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
Yes he can be a top 6 forward but he has some more work to do on his game especially on the defense end in the current system he plays in. IMO his skill set and what he is good at does not fit what Trotz stubborn ways require. He is also mixed and matched constantly with different players and has never had the chance to gel build chemistry with anyone. This again due to coaching.

He shows the speed, skill, and creativity to be a top 6 already. It's a matter of being put into a position to excel. Will he be a top 6 in Trotz eyes? doubt it. Any other team I would be willing to go with yes top 6.

except that he's not mixed-and-matched, he's skated with Cullen virtually all year, except last night when they needed to move Stahlberg to get him going so they swapped him and Smith, cause their games and contributions to their respective lines are similar. (aside - that's a good swap if Cullen and Stahls can get some chemistry cause FF on that line in Spals spot would be interesting)

Oh, the question; good wheels, quick shot, decent to better puck handler. Needs better judgement on passing - when and touch. Needs to improve accuracy of shot if he's gonna' be legit top 6. His defense is MUCH improved; it could be better, but it's mostly passable even in Trotz' system.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
except that he's not mixed-and-matched, he's skated with Cullen virtually all year, except last night when they needed to move Stahlberg to get him going so they swapped him and Smith, cause their games and contributions ti their respective lines are similar. (aside - that's a good swap if Cullen and Stahls can get some chemistry cause FF on that line in Spals spot would be interesting)

Oh, the question; good wheels, quick shot, decent to better puck handler. Needs better judgement on passing - when and touch. Needs to improve accuracy of shot if he's gonna' be legit top 6. His defense is MUCH improved; it could be better, but it's mostly passable even in Trotz' system.

Virtually all year huh.. In what universe?

He has played with Cullen sure but that is still not the same 3 forwards building chemistry. 5-7 games with Cullen is not virtually all year.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Virtually all year huh.. In what universe?

He has played with Cullen sure but that is still not the same 3 forwards building chemistry. 5-7 games with Cullen is not virtually all year.

I may be wrong, but I thought he had been with Cullen since mid to late October as that was the only line working in the early parts of the season. The only difference was it was Bourque on there with him in the early games, then the other winger has been different for some games, but seemed to have steadied with Spaling there until last night..

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Sorry I don't buy the "wrong linemates" argument on Smith. I think he skates pretty well and is working harder this year but when you get right down to it getting a puck past an NHL goalie takes a level of skill and Smith has not yet shown that to the extent that he is going to be a top 6 player.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
I have always liked Smith, fast, hard worker, plays a little out of control but gives it his all. Does he score like we would like him too, no. But who does on this team. I think he and VS are our two fastest players. He is still young and I agree he would probably do better in an offense oriented system that would utilize his skill set. But that is not what we use in Nashville. Defense, defense, defense with a smidge of offense.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
He didn't look sick last night up in the box with Pekka and Ekholm.
Might be over it finally.

probably would have played had the 4th line not had 9 points the previous game.

will be interesting to see when he does return and who he replaces when he does.

Fortheloveofthegame

Mar 18, 2008
USA
probably would have played had the 4th line not had 9 points the previous game.

will be interesting to see when he does return and who he replaces when he does.

Bourque entered the dreaded "doghouse" in the third last night so I am guessing Smith comes in for him, knowing Trotz.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Somewhat off topic but where exactly is the press box? It's not like they are sitting up there with Pete and Terry.

I believe they sit in section 314 in the window area. I have seen Clune and Spaling there during a game before.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Saw something interesting earlier this week on Twitter:

Craig Smith is second on the team in points. Second in shots on goal. First in goals.

14th in iceteam...averages a minute more than Gaustad per game, a minute less than Nystrom.

Maybe personnel management is part of the problem afterall?

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
Smith is a gamer. Has the best skill I've seen from a Preds young player since Radulov. I think playing with Matt Cullen is helping him out a ton. Go figure, his development improves when not playing with grinders. I'd be curious to see how close he was to being traded or waived this offseason.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser

Craig Smith is second on the team in points. Second in shots on goal. First in goals.

14th in iceteam...averages a minute more than Gaustad per game, a minute less than Nystrom.

yeah, but 6 are dmen. so 7 forwards log more time. of those 7, 3 are centers.

Would't you have to look at it from a W standpoint? Wilson, Hornquist, Spaling, Nystrom. You could argue, although not on performance, but potential rather that 33 and 27 deserve more. And the other 2 are 2 of your top penalty killers.

Maybe we should have Gaustad not taking penalties 200 feet from his net every other game and stop taking the stupid lazy bench minors and he would see 2-3 more shifts a game

btw, they ever say who too the too many men from the other night?

twig

Dec 8, 2013
Smith is a gamer. Has the best skill I've seen from a Preds young player since Radulov. I think playing with Matt Cullen is helping him out a ton. Go figure, his development improves when not playing with grinders. I'd be curious to see how close he was to being traded or waived this offseason.

i hope trotz is closer to being traded or waived.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
I'm not sure what the big deal is.

People were flipping their @!@! when they thought Smith was benched. Turned out he was sick. Then, someone saw him the press box and he "didn't look sick". What a bunch of BS! People are just looking for a reason to be pissed at Trotz.

Smith is playing well right now. He missed 3 games, likely to flu. He's a streaky player that has a hot hand now. He also happened to have 17:30 of icetime against the Bruins, and Trotz is trying to ride his hot hand right now. Maybe he can develop consistency. It is just his 2nd full season.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
You can look "not sick" if you're on a bunch of pain meds - and you're already in peak physical condition.

The flu bug can be an insidious little biatch. You can look fine but internally feel like the world is closing in on you.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box

he was not a leader in any of those categories until he went on his little splurge the last three games.

he has 10 goals but three two goal games, which means he has 4 goals in the other 31 games..

up until the last 3 games he's been nothing special, very inconsistent

I hope this latest stretch means he's solved his mental issues and has figured out how to score more consistently… if thats the case his ice time will rise dramatically

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
People were flipping their @!@! when they thought Smith was benched. Turned out he was sick. Then, someone saw him the press box and he "didn't look sick". What a bunch of BS! People are just looking for a reason to be pissed at Trotz.

The first game was a healthy scratch, the next ones were due to the flu. Smith said it as much during a pre game interview the other night.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00