Craig Smith

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
he was not a leader in any of those categories until he went on his little splurge the last three games.

he has 10 goals but three two goal games, which means he has 4 goals in the other 31 games..

up until the last 3 games he's been nothing special, very inconsistent

I hope this latest stretch means he's solved his mental issues and has figured out how to score more consistently… if thats the case his ice time will rise dramatically

Even at his worst, Craig Smith provides a better chance to win than Rich Clune. The prevailing problem for the team this year has been an inability to score consistently. To take even a cold scoring winger out of the lineup and put in a guy whose only contribution is "chirping" and taking as many penalties as he draws, I'm sorry--is indefensible.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
he was not a leader in any of those categories until he went on his little splurge the last three games.

he has 10 goals but three two goal games, which means he has 4 goals in the other 31 games..

up until the last 3 games he's been nothing special, very inconsistent

I hope this latest stretch means he's solved his mental issues and has figured out how to score more consistently… if thats the case his ice time will rise dramatically

Smith is 8th among forwards in ES TOI, yet leads the team in ES goals. If he's inconsistent, what does that say about our allegedly better players?

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Smith is 8th among forwards in ES TOI, yet leads the team in ES goals. If he's inconsistent, what does that say about our allegedly better players?

Redo that calculation before the last 3 games and it probably looks a little more reasonable.

And you are correct in that nobody else is doing any better, which is why his sudden outburst makes it look like he is being grossly mismanaged.

As to btns point about scratching smith for clune, agree if it happens regularly its a problem, but if it was a one game thing for motivatiob/punishment then I have no problem with it. And I would say that maybe it had the desired effect, based on his recent play

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
looks like smith is plying a more consistent game of late

what do the fans think?

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
Follw up...man he's really getting some consistency here....19 min lasts night? Was that a typo?

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
as I said above, i remain cautiously optimistic… looking like Smoth is finding his shot and some confidence. Hopefully he keep on trucking and never looks back…

Amazing how some players simply seem to have a light go on… wish it would happen for Wilson too..

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
as I said above, i remain cautiously optimistic… looking like Smoth is finding his shot and some confidence. Hopefully he keep on trucking and never looks back…

Amazing how some players simply seem to have a light go on… wish it would happen for Wilson too..

I think it has gone on for Wilson. He's more of a playmaker and if the guys he's passing to don't finish, it reflects on him. I think if he were paired with a sniper of some sort his numbers would be just fine. His game is progressing fine IMO but the numbers aren't there because of the guys around him. I would imagine if Forsberg were to find his game or if he were paired with Smith or if a guy like Beck finds his way back to Nashville he'll be fine.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
I think it has gone on for Wilson. He's more of a playmaker and if the guys he's passing to don't finish, it reflects on him. I think if he were paired with a sniper of some sort his numbers would be just fine. His game is progressing fine IMO but the numbers aren't there because of the guys around him. I would imagine if Forsberg were to find his game or if he were paired with Smith or if a guy like Beck finds his way back to Nashville he'll be fine.

I'm not sure I completely agree because I think Wilson has another level he can get to, but he does seem to make some really nice passes that get shot into the goalie's chest.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
How is that polished turd working out?

Hes is tied for 104th thru 110th in the league in points and plays for a team whos point leader is a defenseman. Is pretty consistant in going 4 or 5 games without a point then having a multi point game. In simple terms hes doing well on the Nashville Predators 2014 team.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Hes is tied for 104th thru 110th in the league in points and plays for a team whos point leader is a defenseman. Is pretty consistant in going 4 or 5 games without a point then having a multi point game. In simple terms hes doing well on the Nashville Predators 2014 team.

Fisher has one more ES goal, Legwand one more ES assist. Team leader at ES ... Smith. Team leader in total primary points ... Smith. Team leader in ES primary points ... Smith. Team leader in overall ES points ... Smith.

On a struggling Predators team, Smith is leading the team at even strength with little help.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Fisher has one more ES goal, Legwand one more ES assist. Team leader at ES ... Smith. Team leader in total primary points ... Smith. Team leader in ES primary points ... Smith. Team leader in overall ES points ... Smith.

On a struggling Predators team, Smith is leading the team at even strength with little help.

Agreed. He's been our best forward outside of maybe Fish for a good while. Happily surprised, but you never know when he could fall off again. Hopefully he just keeps going up.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN

You ready to trade him and Weber?
That will really make you look like a rocket scientist

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
You ready to trade him and Weber?
That will really make you look like a rocket scientist

Yes I would trade Weber that's the one player that could return the top 6 guy needed to start to fix this team.

As for Smith im glad he has done what he has done but it is still less than impressive. Mike Santorelli has 10 goals 18 assists for more points than Smith.

Joel Ward has 13 goals and 13 assists one point less than Smith. And does not sniff the top 6.

Mason Raymond 12 goals 16 assists 28 points, who many here thought would be no help to this team.

Yet we are supposed to be content with Smith being the shining beacon on the hill in Nashville. I will say it again I am glad he has done what he has for the team but he is not a top 6 caliber player. There is no indication he will be here. Now before the argument is made he has no complimentary players that's 100% true. If Rich Clune played on a line with Crosby Stamkos or Geno he could be a 60 point player. I would be fine with Smith on a third line here.

As far as Trade value, Smith would garner another Smith even at the trade deadline its doubtful he would warrant more than a second rounder. Now you do not have to believe a word I say I get, that most have there own opinion. It is no skin off my butt to be flamed here but the past two seasons I have been right predicting the poor performance of this team.

If you want to know what others feel about Smith go over to the trade rumors and such thread and see what other fans would give for the guy. I really pay little attention to the guy now and if he does something to help the team great. We need to expect more from the offence on this team than Craig Smith being a leading forward behind Leggy who has long been a whipping boy. For me I am disappointed in every forward on the roster. I am optimistic about the defemse and think moving Weber would hurt short term but be the best for the team long term. He and Pekka are the lone players with excellent value. Your just not going to get the players needed trading the forwards we have.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Yes I would trade Weber that's the one player that could return the top 6 guy needed to start to fix this team.

As for Smith im glad he has done what he has done but it is still less than impressive. Mike Santorelli has 10 goals 18 assists for more points than Smith.

Joel Ward has 13 goals and 13 assists one point less than Smith. And does not sniff the top 6.

Mason Raymond 12 goals 16 assists 28 points, who many here thought would be no help to this team.

Yet we are supposed to be content with Smith being the shining beacon on the hill in Nashville. I will say it again I am glad he has done what he has for the team but he is not a top 6 caliber player. There is no indication he will be here. Now before the argument is made he has no complimentary players that's 100% true. If Rich Clune played on a line with Crosby Stamkos or Geno he could be a 60 point player. I would be fine with Smith on a third line here.

As far as Trade value, Smith would garner another Smith even at the trade deadline its doubtful he would warrant more than a second rounder. Now you do not have to believe a word I say I get, that most have there own opinion. It is no skin off my butt to be flamed here but the past two seasons I have been right predicting the poor performance of this team.

If you want to know what others feel about Smith go over to the trade rumors and such thread and see what other fans would give for the guy. I really pay little attention to the guy now and if he does something to help the team great. We need to expect more from the offence on this team than Craig Smith being a leading forward behind Leggy who has long been a whipping boy. For me I am disappointed in every forward on the roster. I am optimistic about the defemse and think moving Weber would hurt short term but be the best for the team long term. He and Pekka are the lone players with excellent value. You're just not going to get the players needed trading the forwards we have.

The only way we can is cleaning shop and drafting them. Which is why I support a rebuild.

As for Smith, he's not the elite guy we need, but he is one of two forwards that has done better than my expectations this year (Gaustad being #2). I am happy with his progress this year and hope it continues.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN

If you want to know what others feel about Smith go over to the trade rumors and such thread and see what other fans would give for the guy. I really pay little attention to the guy now and if he does something to help the team great. We need to expect more from the offence on this team than Craig Smith being a leading forward behind Leggy who has long been a whipping boy. For me I am disappointed in every forward on the roster. I am optimistic about the defemse and think moving Weber would hurt short term but be the best for the team long term. He and Pekka are the lone players with excellent value. Your just not going to get the players needed trading the forwards we have.

I am smart enough to know that other fans are not going to give an accurate account of Craig Smith value. That's ridiculous to even insinuate.

It's funny you mention 3 players who all play with better linemates and are veterans in the NHL.

Then take into effect Smith linemates.

Smith has improved in the two full seasons he has had and will only get better. He will improve even more if he is actually placed on a correct line with players who compliment each other.

I personally am not daying Craig Smith is a "beacon" but i would sure as hell have more like him than Spaling, Hendricks, Clune, Bork, Nystrom, and etc.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think he has everything he needs to get the job done, except other players to help him get it done. Smith's biggest problem has always been Smith, his head gets the best of him.

You give the guy some decent talent to play with and I think he takes off, but imo on this team its always hard to tell just how good someone can be because they never have all that much playing around them.

Definitely don't think the guy is the second coming of Gretzky, but he can be a solid scoring forward, just not sure how that works out with Trotz though.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
And little more than blind denial from the majority of the posters here to a team that is just not very good. And there is a reason for it from the front office to the players on the ice. This whole organization has turned south since the loss in the second round to the Yotes.

Having spent 200k on this team since inception as a FST holder I do feel a little entitlement to express my displeasure. I am not content to have Craig Smith as the bright spot on the offense. I see things as they are not rainbows and fluff. So if you hate me for that fair enough. But you will never see me promote this team tanking as many others here have.

Last edited by a moderator:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
No one is happy with how the team has played this year, but that doesn't mean Smith shouldn't be getting his props for what looks like to be him finally getting it all together ( even if it took him half the season)

We will see if he keeps it up or if its just another streak that ends with him cold as ice. Another goal tonight though, so apparently hasn't cooled off yet.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
No one is happy with how the team has played this year, but that doesn't mean Smith shouldn't be getting his props for what looks like to be him finally getting it all together ( even if it took him half the season)

We will see if he keeps it up or if its just another streak that ends with him cold as ice. Another goal tonight though, so apparently hasn't cooled off yet.

agreed. hes been on a tremendous tear.

jus waiting for all the people who claimed Trotz had ruined him to give Trotz credit for "fixing" him....

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
agreed. hes been on a tremendous tear.

jus waiting for all the people who claimed Trotz had ruined him to give Trotz credit for "fixing" him....

He still plays like he's afraid to make mistakes. He is finally getting points, however I think he could have been a more dynamic player. Trotz didn't kill him off, but he neutered him IMO.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
He still plays like he's afraid to make mistakes. He is finally getting points, however I think he could have been a more dynamic player. Trotz didn't kill him off, but he neutered him IMO.

This is exactly how I feel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad