GDT: Craig MacTavish vs. HF Oil | End of Season Presser | 2:00 PM | Streamed

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
That's actually a pretty plausible theory. Something a skilled politician would think of.

Of course the simple explanation could be that nobody has a crystal ball and even the great's make mistakes.

True. No matter the real reason though for the bad trades, the logic does hold true for the most part. There is always an overconfident GM out there though who thinks they can take out the champ..

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
As crazy as this sounds, i am going to miss that era for one reason. HFOil had an amazing sense of humor about the whole situation and the jokes and here come the Oiler memes were the stuff of legend.

There were some doozies posted in this thread and many others. The GDT's were hilarious.

aspin

Sep 13, 2002
Regina
Visit site
It's been 2 years and the only players that will be in this seasons opening lineup from when Mac T was the GM are Draisaitl, RNH, Slepyshev(IR), Khaira, Klefbom, Nurse and Broissoi. That's a huge changeover in 2 seasons.

I think you can put McDavid in that list as well. MacT was jumping around his hotel room when Edmonton won the lottery. Can't give Chia credit for McDavid.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
I think you can put McDavid in that list as well. MacT was jumping around his hotel room when Edmonton won the lottery. Can't give Chia credit for McDavid.

You can't really give MacT "credit" either.

He hired Eakins and ran the team into the sewer for two years.

There isn't much else to his legacy at this point.

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
I don't have any evidence to back this up at all, but I've always suspected that the NHL told Katz to get his **** in order once the Oilers won the lottery. It's one thing for the Oilers to be a joke of a team on their own, but when the future/potential face of the league gets involved... they have to protect their brand. It wouldn't surprise me if Bettman told (or at least strongly suggested) Katz to clear house management wise once it was clear that McDavid was to be an Oiler. Like, why let a GM do an end of the year presser if he's about to get fired?

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
As crazy as this sounds, i am going to miss that era for one reason. HFOil had an amazing sense of humor about the whole situation and the jokes and here come the Oiler memes were the stuff of legend.

There were some doozies posted in this thread and many others. The GDT's were hilarious.

I don't recall any sense of humour over that era. I remember one side of fans who could see through the bs and called out every terrible move the organization made relentlessly. On the other side we had another group of posters that either swallowed everything hook, line and sinker or who were probably paid to be shills for the organization. That group antagonized anybody who spoke out against the organization and made following the team just as frustrating as the on ice performances.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Is it too late for me to hate on MacT for keeping Drai for more than 9 games in his rookie season when it was clear Drai was not NHL ready? If MacT had sent him down when he should have then LD would still be on his entry level contract. I get the feeling this blunder doesn't matter much to others.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Is it too late for me to hate on MacT for keeping Drai for more than 9 games in his rookie season when it was clear Drai was not NHL ready? If MacT had sent him down when he should have then LD would still be on his entry level contract. I get the feeling this blunder doesn't matter much to others.

There was a lot of posts about this when it happened.
Glad that you brought it up now...it was a major League blunder to be sure.
One of many.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Not really. JP would have lost a year no matter what since he played in the AHL.

Sadly that isn't the case. Pulju's ELC and RFA year could have been saved even if he played all year in the AHL. Look at Nylander with TO.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/william-nylander

and Rantanen (played 52 AHL games in 15/16 and his ELC slid to a 16/17 start)
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/mikko-rantanen

It's a rare case that is very helpful to be able to put a high end prospect in the AHL right out of the draft to learn against men playing the NA game. One we didn't want to bother with until we already burned Pulju's ELC and RFA year.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I don't have any evidence to back this up at all, but I've always suspected that the NHL told Katz to get his **** in order once the Oilers won the lottery. It's one thing for the Oilers to be a joke of a team on their own, but when the future/potential face of the league gets involved... they have to protect their brand. It wouldn't surprise me if Bettman told (or at least strongly suggested) Katz to clear house management wise once it was clear that McDavid was to be an Oiler. Like, why let a GM do an end of the year presser if he's about to get fired?

I don't think so. I think the Nicholson hiring the year before was done so that someone could come in and make those decisions so Katz wouldnt have to.

What I DO think happened, was the Oilers won McDavid, saw the look on his face and said we need to prove to this kid we are serious, at which point Katz went to Nicholson and said do whatever it takes to send that message and do it fast.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
When this presser happened, I remember staring blankly.

Craigs voice slowly became muffled and progressively quiet.

I started to hear an acoustic guitar play a melancholic melody and a voice started singing

"Hello Darkness, my old friend,
I've come to talk with you again"...

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I don't think so. I think the Nicholson hiring the year before was done so that someone could come in and make those decisions so Katz wouldnt have to.

What I DO think happened, was the Oilers won McDavid, saw the look on his face and said we need to prove to this kid we are serious, at which point Katz went to Nicholson and said do whatever it takes to send that message and do it fast.

I wonder how much truth there is to this. There sure was a lot of smoke immediately following the draft lottery that McDavid might be reluctant to come here. We all disregarded it as being sour grapes from disappointed Leafs fans. What we do know for sure though, is that the Oilers acted very quickly to restructure a management group that inexplicably looked like they were never going anywhere. We'll probably have to wait until McDavid writes a book after his career is over to learn the truth.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

I find this funny, basically HFBOards is damned if you do and damned if you dont.

How is it seen as a blunder if it inspired Drai to be the player he is?

As for all the other moves, hind sight is a great position to be calling the shots in, is all that comes to mind. The were shooting for the moon and they took chances.

Id rather they do that then play it safe and be middle of the table all f the time.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
I find this funny, basically HFBOards is damned if you do and damned if you dont.

How is it seen as a blunder if it inspired Drai to be the player he is?

As for all the other moves, hind sight is a great position to be calling the shots in, is all that comes to mind. The were shooting for the moon and they took chances.

Id rather they do that then play it safe and be middle of the table all f the time.
You really believe that Drai became a better player by being forced to play at a level that he wasn't ready for? Is there any player that's benefited by being thrown in the deep end of the pool when they couldn't swim, cuz I'd love to know about it. Most people would say that being brought along too quickly does more harm than good.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
You really believe that Drai became a better player by being forced to play at a level that he wasn't ready for? Is there any player that's benefited by being thrown in the deep end of the pool when they couldn't swim, cuz I'd love to know about it. Most people would say that being brought along too quickly does more harm than good.

Clearly Drai did, hes a better player today and just signed a 8.5M / yr contract.

The same argument all the talking heads would be agreeing with if he failed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad