GDT: Craig MacTavish vs. HF Oil | End of Season Presser | 2:00 PM | Streamed

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
I didn't think we'd have any chance of actually winning it but I was terrified the Leafs would. That would have been the end for me, I knew the media attention would drive me insane and I was prepared to quit watching the NHL, cold turkey.

5-14-6-1

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
One of the Lowest Lowes of the decade of failure.

Really highlights how defeated fans were on here. MacT gave so many things to just be outraged about, but only made it to 25 pages in the thread :)

Last edited:

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
The big take away for me is that Mact would not trade guys like Hall, Eberle and Nuge and would try other ways to fix problems

Mact never would have done the Larsson for Hall trade

I was somewhat hopeful when Mac T was appointed GM and he talked about adding balance to the top end of the forward group, even name dropping Lucic in his first presser. I think he knew what the Oilers needed to add, but his hands were tied regarding trading the "sacred cows" by someone above him in the org. He was just a sock puppet.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
This was almost the end for me...

Four lottery balls man. Four lottery balls.

Not gonna lie I was near the end too. I was contemplating jumping ship it go so bad. I hate myself for thinking it but I did .

Then Connor happened......and my life changed forever

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Not gonna lie I was near the end too. I was contemplating jumping ship it go so bad. I hate myself for thinking it but I did .

Then Connor happened......and my life changed forever

Same here. The moment I heard WacT announce that the next season would be a development year, that completely killed me. Had we not won Connor, i may not be here posting right now.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So much has happened in the last few years. Crazy to revisit 2015 and see just how defeated things seemed back then. :help:

rboomercats post about the the final straw for MacT being when he said that "next season was another development year" was spot on. It apparently was a wake up call for Katz too. A complete change of direction for this organization in 2015.

So many positive angles around the team these days. Its such an incredible contrast. So glad all that s**t is in the rear view mirror. :nod:

Last edited:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I went on a cruise right before the draft lottery and had no internet for a week. Finally docked in Miami and found some free wifi and decided to check the lottery results. I'll always remember the exact place where I was when I checked my phone and saw that we won Mcdavid and Lowe and Mac T were punched out of their positions .

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I was somewhat hopeful when Mac T was appointed GM and he talked about adding balance to the top end of the forward group, even name dropping Lucic in his first presser. I think he knew what the Oilers needed to add, but his hands were tied regarding trading the "sacred cows" by someone above him in the org. He was just a sock puppet.[/QUOTE]

respectfully disagree

Mact love Hall-Nuge-Eberle as a top line and he wanted to build around them

his his handling of the petry contract tells me that

Petry RHD we needed--they just did not know what they had

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
the "Visually better" conference was comically sad...

this presser wasn't just sad, it was depressing

Has MacT spoken since this debacle? he was kicked to the curb (demoted I guess) just 9 days later when Chia was hired

not a peep from him since

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I was somewhat hopeful when Mac T was appointed GM and he talked about adding balance to the top end of the forward group, even name dropping Lucic in his first presser. I think he knew what the Oilers needed to add, but his hands were tied regarding trading the "sacred cows" by someone above him in the org. He was just a sock puppet.

respectfully disagree

Mact love Hall-Nuge-Eberle as a top line and he wanted to build around them

his his handling of the petry contract tells me that

Petry RHD we needed--they just did not know what they had

I think there is plenty of evidence to show that Jet Walters is right on the mark.

Katz was pushing the 'kids' (Hall, Eberle, RNH and Yakupov) as the new wave. Plenty of evidence showing that he was forcing MacT and Lowe to play the kids to showcase the future.
Katz is probably the biggest culprit in this teams undoing in those days.
If he doesnt see the light and change his ways then nothing really changes.

Last edited:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Mact never would have done the Larsson for Hall trade

It would have been a never ending cycle of 3rd/4th liners and bottom pairing D, and selling hope that the next group of tag-alongs behind the golden boys would be the next ones to move the needle.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I didn't think we'd have any chance of actually winning it but I was terrified the Leafs would. That would have been the end for me, I knew the media attention would drive me insane and I was prepared to quit watching the NHL, cold turkey.

5-14-6-1

Yeah, it's been bad enough with Matthews. With McDavid, the entire current hype machine would be on steroids. The amount of pressure on McDavid would've been so incredibly immense. He should be thankful that didn't happen. He still has pressure with the Oil (there's always going to be pressure), but not as much.

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
I went on a cruise right before the draft lottery and had no internet for a week. Finally docked in Miami and found some free wifi and decided to check the lottery results. I'll always remember the exact place where I was when I checked my phone and saw that we won Mcdavid and Lowe and Mac T were punched out of their positions .

I remember that day. Was at the Oregon coast. Doing coast things and not looking at HF Boards. Years prior I was hitting F5 constantly. This time I was just waiting to hear we got 'our pick' which was probably Hannafin. In fact, I was so positive, I didn't really know about the next wonder kid, some McDavid guy, since we weren't going to get him. Never ever.

Then we won - I said to myself 'I better read about the new #1' - wow - this guy might be good! No more 'fall for Hall', or 'fail for Nail', but Double-u-t-eff, there's this generational guy we can grab!

Fast forward a bit. I cannot comprehend our luck. Unbelievable, amazing. So talented but so humble. I'm an old fart and watched the Oilers in their heyday when we didn't realize how good we had it. After SO MANY YEARS of suck, we are truly lucky and 'blessed' to have the talent we do.

It was SO MANY CRAPPY YEARS. we finally aren't the laughing stock of the NHL anymore. FINALLY!

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
This presser was the lowest moment for me as an Oilers fan. Almost gave up on the team after that. Everything just felt completely hopeless with these clowns in charge...Then McJesus came along and with him Chiarelli and McLellan.

We got real lucky with those lottery balls.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
I still can't believe MacT already had us having another rebuilding season before the off season before that season started. Chia isn't a perfect GM but his one big strength is the thing that we needed more than anything. Boldness.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
It's been 2 years and the only players that will be in this seasons opening lineup from when Mac T was the GM are Draisaitl, RNH, Slepyshev(IR), Khaira, Klefbom, Nurse and Broissoi. That's a huge changeover in 2 seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad