Craig MacTavish meeting the media

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Also if you do a full scale restaff you'd have to get regeir for GM so he. Can wheel and deal for some balance in the roster then you hire andy Murray because I said so

Lowe can be replaced by gretzky who can do interviews from his la mansion when needed

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
I guess the worry then is what his idea of a #1 d-man is.

I worry about a GM that doesn't inform the entire league a player is available before he trades him.

Well, Justin Faulk is leading the Hurricanes D in icetime. He's worth a #1 overall pick isnt he? :sarcasm:

Mr McV

Oct 9, 2008
Penticton
And how will this make the Oilers a better team? I agree that Lowe still has a job because he has connections with Katz but that doesnt mean that a non Oiler would be any better. The only difference between that un-connected person and Lowe would be the trust level of ownership group. Right now we are only firing GMs and coaches.. we will just be including another position on the firing row.

We need to fix the team instead of replacing the management group.

Dubnyk sucking has nothing to do with Lowe. same goes for guys like Hall, Yak and Schultz.

This is where I think you are wrong. You need to have a good management group to fix the team.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm not convinced that Eakins is a terrible coach. I've got my own opinion that the players aren't playing for him, and my opinion has been formed from watching several players interviews and reading some of the things they've said.

I'm talking mainly about Ference and Smid.

My opinion is similar about tuning out Eakins going on. But the bolded is not mutually exclusive. I don't know that Eakins has put his best foot forward here from the start. I was very concered with this hire, dud to inexperience and due to coaching change not being required (theres already been too much change) But Eakins didn't do himself many favors by not doing more legwork prior to camp starting. Afairc Eakins arrived here days before camp started that in itself being a huge problem as far as laying out proper preparation, having coaches, management on same page, etc.
tbh I think Eakins overestimated his ability and felt that he was going to be able to meet the players, get to know all the players, and plan and formulate, teach a coherent system all at the same time.
Eakins by his own words got overwhelmed, it happened quick, and its been happening ever since.
So what the players have seen is a coach that states, and takes, actions that are indefensible. (forwards playing 26mins night) no line matching, hanging out several players to dry to -4 outings (has happened to BOTH toplines) early scratching of Yak, taking too long to pull goalies while games could still be saved etc. The swarm system as devised and taught has of course been a collosal failure. The entire club, even veterans that play much better than this look brutal.

To wit I'll offer the following. When players like Hall, RNH, Eberle, Gagner, Ference, Smid, Even Gordon, look as compromised as this out there then its quite clear confusion reigns, the team and players are often guessing what to do out there and are conflicted between what they think they should do, and their understanding of the system they are supposed to employ. I see regular shifting in this regard and players that revert, stop, start, and are second guessing where they should be in real time. When a player like RNH doesn't know what he's doing out there the application of system is bad, real bad.

If Eakins has lost the team its because they have little faith in how or what he's rolled out as a system. With Eakins holding responsibility and who should know that the adoption of system should've been approached carefully with much better process.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
My opinion is similar about tuning out Eakins going on. But the bolded is not mutually exclusive. I don't know that Eakins has put his best foot forward here from the start. I was very concered with this hire, dud to inexperience and due to coaching change not being required (theres already been too much change) But Eakins didn't do himself many favors by not doing more legwork prior to camp starting. Afairc Eakins arrived here days before camp started that in itself being a huge problem as far as laying out proper preparation, having coaches, management on same page, etc.
tbh I think Eakins overestimated his ability and felt that he was going to be able to meet the players, get to know all the players, and plan and formulate, teach a coherent system all at the same time.
Eakins by his own words got overwhelmed, it happened quick, and its been happening ever since.
So what the players have seen is a coach that states, and takes, actions that are indefensible. (forwards playing 26mins night) no line matching, hanging out several players to dry to -4 outings (has happened to BOTH toplines) early scratching of Yak, taking too long to pull goalies while games could still be saved etc. The swarm system as devised and taught has of course been a collosal failure. The entire club, even veterans that play much better than this look brutal.

To wit I'll offer the following. When players like Hall, RNH, Eberle, Gagner, Ference, Smid, Even Gordon, look as compromised as this out there then its quite clear confusion reigns, the team and players are often guessing what to do out there and are conflicted between what they think they should do, and their understanding of the system they are supposed to employ. I see regular shifting in this regard and players that revert, stop, start, and are second guessing where they should be in real time. When a player like RNH doesn't know what he's doing out there the application of system is bad, real bad.

If Eakins has lost the team its because they have little faith in how or what he's rolled out as a system. With Eakins holding responsibility and who should know that the adoption of system should've been approached carefully with much better process.

well, Mact doesn't think so, and, like he said, you'll just have to take his word on that.

they lost what, 13 of their last 15 to end last season, so they're basically the same clueless kids. I don't think Eakins has lost the room, they're just not ready to play with the men and won't be for at least 2 or 3 seasons because mact believes in this core of 8 small softies. he will change his mind when next season is lost, about one year from today.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
You need a solid BS filter when you listen to MacT and Eakins or any other mouthpiece for the Oilers when it comes to talking about improvements, progression etc.

The only honest way to find the "truth" is to look at what actually matters... results on the ice in actual games. That's the only true determinant of "reality".

The last 12 games for the Oilers from last season:

3 wins 9 losses 6 pts... 0.5 pts per game over that stretch
26 goals for 36 goals against
.722 goals for/against ratio

First 20 games this season:

4-14-2 10 pts .5 pts per game over that stretch
48 goals for 78 goals against
.615 goals for/against ratio

We all know that final stretch last year was horrendous for the Oilers but this season the start is as bad if not worse when you consider the goals differential as well which is actually worse.

Another stat to show the extent of mediocrity on this team...

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_2014.html

That shows how well the team is doing in a rating called SRS.. which takes into account the strength of the schedule all the teams in the NHL have played so far + their goal differential.

We know Florida and Buffalo are bad teams as well... but looking at the strength of their opponents they've played so far... they have actually had a much tougher schedule than the Oilers.

The Oilers are CLEARLY the worst team in the NHL this year and it's not close when you look at the schedule strength and goal differentials.

If MacT and Eakins are "actually" seeing positives... I'd seriously have to question their intelligence but again I think we all agree that they "have" to say those things and can't come straight out and say the team is crap and is going nowhere fast.

Last edited:

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
You need a solid BS filter when you listen to MacT and Eakins or any other mouthpiece for the Oilers when it comes to talking about improvements, progression etc.

The only honest way to find the "truth" is to look at what actually matters... results on the ice in actual games. That's the only true determinant of "reality".

The last 12 games for the Oilers from last season:

3 wins 9 losses 6 pts... 0.5 pts per game over that stretch
26 goals for 36 goals against
.722 goals for/against ratio

First 20 games this season:

4-14-2 10 pts .5 pts per game over that stretch
48 goals for 78 against
.615 goals for/against ratio

We all know that final stretch last year was horrendous for the Oilers but this season the start is as bad if not worse when you consider the goals differential as well which is actually worse.

Another stat to show the extent of mediocrity on this team...

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_2014.html

That shows how well the team is doing in a rating called SRS.. which takes into account the strength of the schedule all the teams in the NHL have played so far + their goal differential.

We know Florida and Buffalo are bad teams as well... but looking at the strength of their opponents they've played so far... they have actually had a much tougher schedule than the Oilers.

The Oilers are CLEARLY the worst team in the NHL this year and it's not close when you look at the schedule strength and goal differentials.

If MacT and Eakins are "actually" seeing positives... I'd seriously have to question their intelligence but again I think we all agree that they "have" to say those things and can't come straight out and say the team is crap and is going nowhere fast.

let's face it, the only reason they finished 24th last year (a minor improvement) is because of the shortened season. if not for that we'd be looking at a 5 year record of 30th, 30th, 29th, (around) 28th, and (around) 29th. that's got to be the worst in history.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I know this pace won't keep up but right now the 8th place team in the West is on pace for 108 pts and the Oilers are on pace for 41 pts.

At this stage they are on pace to miss the playoffs by 67 points.

Again... that pace likely won't continue but even if that's cut in half they'd miss by 34 pts or even cut in half and then cut in half yet again... they'd miss by 17 pts.

It's amazing just how big a hole the team has dug for themselves so quickly AND it's amazing just how strong the West is this year.

Perfect ****storm for a completely decimated year that was over really before it even began.

Oil80

Nov 3, 2013
Edmonton
Anyone else notice when MacT has a press conference, he asks himself questions and answers them.

Got to give him credit, that's how you run a press conference. Embarrassing for the idiots that call themselves the media.

Mr McV

Oct 9, 2008
Penticton
Anyone else notice when MacT has a press conference, he asks himself questions and answers them.

Got to give him credit, that's how you run a press conference. Embarrassing for the idiots that call themselves the media.

He learned that from Tambellini.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
actually when I took a media relations course they told us if we want to deflect questions from a reporter we say that a better question is blah blah blah and answer that one

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
A team that hasn't scored in 3 games at home and he says he sees improvement and progression.

That was an opening 18 miles wide for someone to say to him... put the crack pipe down and step away from the team MacT... you need some professional help and some time away from the fantasy world you live in.

fudgeeo

Nov 1, 2013
why is it that macT can't have one full year, one trade deadline day and one more draft before we even start to evaluate him? I am a bit of a macT homer, I liked him as coach and i THINK he'll be a good gm. all though I wanted brain burke.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
why is it that mact can't have one full year, one trade deadline day and one more draft before we even start to evaluate him? I am a bit of a mact homer, i liked him as coach and i think he'll be a good gm. All though i wanted brain burke.

lol...

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

Great post Replacement.
:handclap:

Captain Catatomic

SuprstitionCondition
Jun 25, 2013
Could anyone care as to wager on who the 7-8-9 core pieces he identified are?: Hall RNH Eberle Gagner Jultz Yak Gordon Ferrence Petry ?

hmminvisiblecola1279

there are kids in it
Jul 9, 2002
no thanks
Visit site
Great post Replacement.
:handclap:

Agreed, a great evaluation and one I know you said at the time of his hiring. I was happy with him because I fell in love with the Toronto media who inflated his tires. I even wanted to give MacT a chance although very quickly I realized there was never a proper search to find the best guy to steer the team. What a ****show.

Captain Catatomic

SuprstitionCondition
Jun 25, 2013
I think that when Nurse and Klefbom make the squad you could subtract one or two if the peices, or just add them on into a subcore although I am not completely 100% sold on Petry being on that list.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Hall, RNH, Eberle, Gagner, JSchultz, Yak, Nurse, Klefbom, Petry would be my guess

that's it. they had Lander in there before he had played a single NHL game. that's the thing with this organization, they pencil in prospects as guarantees and so far, none have worked out.

It's for this reason that I'll believe Klefbom is a can't miss top 4 D when he is one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad