Craig MacTavish has had a bad first 18 months as GM

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Devan Dubnyk outplayed Ben Scrivens for the win last night. Scrivens didn't play horribly, but Dubnyk was still better than him. He stole a game for the 'Yotes that the Oilers probably should have won.

I know it's only one game, but that scenario is mind-boggling. And it sums up MacTavish's tenure as GM so far.

Um what? What on earth are you blabbing about? You just said its "only one game", and yet somehow that sums up Mact's tenure?

How does one game by Dubnyk sum up Mact's tenure?

Also - you know there's five players that play in front of the goalie that has fair degree of impact on the game result - its more than just a goalie out there - especially with goalies as mediocre as Scrivens and Dubnyk for goodness sake.

Oct 15, 2008
Um what? What on earth are you blabbing about? You just said its "only one game", and yet somehow that sums up Mact's tenure?

Also - you know there's five players that play in front of the goalie that has fair degree of impact on the game result - its more than just a goalie out there - especially with goalies as mediocre as Scrivens and Dubnyk for goodness sake.

Right. And we got a good look at what a well coached team looks like. Vs the garbage we get to see every night led by the three blind mice. Mact has been involved directly with this team as either head coach or gm for ten years. Every one of those years has been a disappointment other than one.

How anyone can defend this clown is a wonder to behold.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Right. And we got a good look at what a well coached team looks like. Vs the garbage we get to see every night led by the three blind mice. Mact has been involved directly with this team as either head coach or gm for ten years. Every one of those years has been a disappointment other than one.

How anyone can defend this clown is a wonder to behold.

Oh I see. Arizona is a well coached team and Edmonton isn't - which apparently makes all the difference in the world.

And the standings right? There's a whole three points and six goals difference between Arizona and Edmonton.

And regardless of your biased and constant criticism of MacT - care to answer my original question: how does one game by Dubnyk summarize Mact's tenure?

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2008
Oh I see. Arizona is a well coached team and Edmonton isn't - which apparently makes all the difference in the world.

And the standings right? There's a whole three points and six goals difference between Arizona and Edmonton.

Did you watch the game?

Arizona finished 22pts ahead of us in the standings last year. If you would like to continue with your shell game, we can make a wager on who will finish higher in the standings this year.

Is it your contention that we have better coaching than the Coyotes?

tumblr_mn7gcbcXsQ1s4f4t0o1_400.gif

Oct 15, 2008
And regardless of your biased and constant criticism of MacT - care to answer my original question: how does one game by Dubnyk summarize Mact's tenure?

I never contended it did. How does one year in ten summarize Mact's tenure?

How does that support your biased and constant turd shining in regards to Mact? A man no other organization in the league wanted. Except us of course.

stompinstoms

Sep 1, 2014
Vancouver

That's not what I was suggesting when I wrote that.

What I meant was: if you were to look for one single event that symbolizes MacTavish's tenure as GM so far, that's it. Sunday night sums it up.

You're right that Dubnyk is average... but he's better than Scrivens and Fasth, and that's sort of the point. MacT inherited something not great, and managed to make it worse.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009

What I meant was: if you were to look for one single event that symbolizes MacTavish's tenure as GM so far, that's it. Sunday night sums it up.

You're right that Dubnyk is average... but he's better than Scrivens and Fasth, and that's sort of the point. MacT inherited something not great, and managed to make it worse.

This I agree with. Last night showed that all of the moves and revamping of the roster that McT has done still results in losses.
He brought in Eakins, who has been a complete joke, and still hasn't fired him. He was out-coached again.
He hasn't fired Chabot even though our goalie situation has gone from bad to worse. McT seems to think bringing in different goalies will solve the problem rather than addressing the real issue. Dubnyk outplaying Scrivens last night showed that.
He hasn't fixed the blueline, even though some people seemed to think Fayne and Nikiton were the answers for some unknown reason. Playing against OEL and Yandle last night shows this.
He brought in Howson who seemed to influence his decision to TRADE for Nikiton and hand him a big fat contract. This, after Nikiton was healthy scratched numerous times for, get this, Nick Schultz, who he dumped at the deadline.

McT is in so far over his head, he doesn't seem to know what to do. He came in preaching BOLD moves will be made, and has done absolutely none. This is probably for the good as his smaller moves still result in us at the bottom of the standings.

Last edited:

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Did you watch the game?

Arizona finished 22pts ahead of us in the standings last year. If you would like to continue with your shell game, we can make a wager on who will finish higher in the standings this year.

Is it your contention that we have better coaching than the Coyotes?

tumblr_mn7gcbcXsQ1s4f4t0o1_400.gif

a) I did watch the game, and I thought the Oilers played hard, outshot Arizona and thought Oilers had as many chances to win the game as Arizona did.

b) Where in the world did I suggest that the Oilers have better coaching that Arizona?

This was my original post:

Yet you somehow took this as an opportunity to criticize Mactavish.

My suggestion is that as important as coaching is - there's an entire team of players who actually play the game on the ice - that should receive just as much blame and impacts the game as the coach does.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

This is Hindsight in every single aspect.

I would like to see how many people actually thought LAST YEAR that Dubnyk would be better than Scrivens or Fasth. Did you?

I'm not convinced that Dubnyk is better - I think the difference are the players in front of the goalies.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Bad or potentially bad contracts our GM has slotted us into.

Teddy Purcell, 4.5 million this year but also 4.5 million next year.
Benoit Pouliot, 4 million for 4 more years after this one.
Nikita Nikitin, 4.5 million this year but also 4.5 million next year.
Andrew Ferentz, 3.25 million for two more years after this one.
Mark Fayne, 3.65 million for 3 more years after this one.

Fayne looks okay now but 3 more years after this one. The other four players will take up 16.25 million next year.

Nikitin and Purcell alone, 9 million next year.

We have Marincin and Klefbom in the minors, Nurse should be ready to step in next year.

Meanwhile no decent goalies and the sahara desert at center after RNH.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Bad or potentially bad contracts our GM has slotted us into.

Teddy Purcell, 4.5 million this year but also 4.5 million next year.
Benoit Pouliot, 4 million for 4 more years after this one.
Nikita Nikitin, 4.5 million this year but also 4.5 million next year.
Andrew Ferentz, 3.25 million for two more years after this one.
Mark Fayne, 3.65 million for 3 more years after this one.

Fayne looks okay now but 3 more years after this one. The other four players will take up 16.25 million next year.

Nikitin and Purcell alone, 9 million next year.

We have Marincin and Klefbom in the minors, Nurse should be ready to step in next year.

Meanwhile no decent goalies and the sahara desert at center after RNH.

To be fair if you're speaking about center in the long term, Draisaitl after RNH from next year onwards.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
To be fair if you're speaking about center in the long term, Draisaitl after RNH from next year onwards.

The jury is 100% totally out on Draisitl at all. Not just for this year. When I hear the words. "He has to work on his skating." It's a big worry because the same things were said about Plante and Musil.

I like him as a prospect but if that is the grand plan then we are in trouble.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The jury is 100% totally out on Draisitl at all. Not just for this year. When I hear the words. "He has to work on his skating." It's a big worry because the same things were said about Plante and Musil.

You don't draft a center in the top 3 if you don't think he can play at least a no.2 C role in the long term.

Draisaitl is a different class of prospect than Plante and Musil, that's not even a relevant comparison.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Does Gordon count for nothing? I think he's a decent centre - not a first liner obviously - but certainly useful centre on any team in the league.

Gordon is a very good 4th line Center that gets higher than 4th line minutes due to his face off ability. Draistaitl is a big ? RNH looks great and has taken a step. Arcobello is not the answer. The biggest concern is that our only decent C prospect is on the team right now. One injury to anyone and we are in a world of hurt.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
You don't draft a center in the top 3 if you don't think he can play at least a no.2 C role.

Draisaitl is a different class of prospect than Planet and Musil, that's not even a relevant comparison.

The comparison is valid re skating. If you are step behind in this league you don't make it. Hey, I'm not dumping all over the guy, I like him but he is not NHL ready and is not a sure fire thing.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Same thing was said about Thornton and Getzlaf.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Devan Dubnyk outplayed Ben Scrivens for the win last night. Scrivens didn't play horribly, but Dubnyk was still better than him. He stole a game for the 'Yotes that the Oilers probably should have won.

I know it's only one game, but that scenario is mind-boggling. And it sums up MacTavish's tenure as GM so far.
I think it was an eye opening experience for the organization too or at least it should have been. They just got dominated by a goalie who they blamed their brutal season on last year. Mactavish should have to face the media and explain how Dubnyk could look so terrible in front of HIS team and HIS hand picked head coach so much that he trades him for a fourth line winger. Then he comes in here next season with a 3-0-1 record on a team only one point ahead of HIS last place club and completely shuts them down. Dubnyk has looked like a completely different goalie in Phoenix. I'd love to hear Mactavish's thoughts on that.

Last edited:

stompinstoms

Sep 1, 2014
Vancouver
This is Hindsight in every single aspect.

I would like to see how many people actually thought LAST YEAR that Dubnyk would be better than Scrivens or Fasth. Did you?

I'm not convinced that Dubnyk is better - I think the difference are the players in front of the goalies.

I don't know if I thought that Dubnyk was BETTER, but I certainly was not happy heading into this season with the current tandem.

Here's proof. I wrote this in July:

http://alongtheboards.com/2014/07/o...crivens-viktor-fasth-being-difference-makers/

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Skating don't matter as much for centers as it is for Dmen. Look at Jagr, his game was never built for speed.

Oct 15, 2008
a) I did watch the game, and I thought the Oilers played hard, outshot Arizona and thought Oilers had as many chances to win the game as Arizona did.

b) Where in the world did I suggest that the Oilers have better coaching that Arizona?

This was my original post:

Yet you somehow took this as an opportunity to criticize Mactavish.

My suggestion is that as important as coaching is - there's an entire team of players who actually play the game on the ice - that should receive just as much blame and impacts the game as the coach does.

Jeff Petry, Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, Nail Yakupov, Justin Schultz.
Five players. That's what's left from when Mact took over. So blame them? Or blame the other 18 players on the roster that Mact has acquired?

Dubnyk was one of the underachievers that was shuffled out of town in favour of Scrivens and Fasth. The other night he looked pretty good. The night before that he shut out the Canucks.

Something is afoot.

You want to blame the players? Ok. Then you need to blame the guy who acquired the players. But you wouldnt do that would you?:shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad