Craig MacTavish has had a bad first 18 months as GM

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
They are looking towards the new arena, as simple as that. They would like to win now but it is no critical thing until they see some vacant seats in the new barn.
Why is this exactly? What purpose does it serve for this team to not have any success until they're in the new arena? If you're capable of turning this team around, why wait another two years to do it? I've heard this a lot in the last couple years but it's never made sense to me. I don't think moving into the new arena will have any impact on the teams on ice performance. The people running this team are spectacularly incompetent and that fact isn't going to change because they have a new arena to operate out of. This is just another excuse being thrown out by the apologists to buy this organization even more time. I can't wait to see what gets used after they move in there.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
When MacT was hired we heard from him that he is impatient and he talked about bold moves. We haven't seen anything bold and we've seen a lot of patience with a losing team. Hiring Eakins may be the only action that potentially fits into the bold category but MacT has shown a lot of patience with Eakins too.

I think this team is scared to make a bold move in terms of the roster. Management is in love with the 1st round picks they've drafted evidenced by Lowe's comments about half the league willing to trade for our roster. I think that management thinks that on paper and by pedigree we should be a great team. That would explain why we've only seen small moves and the "core" hasn't been touched even year after year of the same losing results.

Is management already thinking about next year? This season is on the verge of being a write off with no playoffs and only another high first round pick as a reward.

We've also heard the rumours from other teams that the Oilers are overvaluing and over pricing their assets in potential trade scenario- another example of being afraid to make a bold move and being in love with your team on paper based on pedigree.

I hate to say it but I wouldn't be surprised if we see no major changes other than bringing in another backup to compete for the starting job and bringing up some prospects like Nurse with the hope that the same core finally has to play better and compete for the playoffs.

bingo, on all counts. They are waiting for Nurse and Hanifin/Strome to complete the roster. They will fill every important hole internally. They are all-in with this core.

If Hall and co. can stand waiting 3 more years, it might work. But, if he pulls the pin this rebuild is hooped and will live in infamy as most failure project in sports history.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Why is this exactly? What purpose does it serve for this team to not have any success until they're in the new arena? If you're capable of turning this team around, why wait another two years to do it? I've heard this a lot in the last couple years but it's never made sense to me. I don't think moving into the new arena will have any impact on the teams on ice performance. The people running this team are spectacularly incompetent and that fact isn't going to change because they have a new arena to operate out of. This is just another excuse being thrown out by the apologists to buy this organization even more time. I can't wait to see what gets used after they move in there.

interesting. could be. they sure don't seem to be in a hurry.

I think its just a case that they had a plan to draft the whole team. Gagner, Paajarvi, Dubnyk, Lander and Pitlick didn't work out, but they're stickin' with the plan. so, we wait for the next round of draft picks to, hopefully, work out.

they really don't know what else to do.

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,
bingo, on all counts. They are waiting for Nurse and Hanifin/Strome to complete the roster. They will fill every important hole internally. They are all-in with this core.

If Hall and co. can stand waiting 3 more years, it might work. But, if he pulls the pin this rebuild is hooped and will live in infamy as most failure project in sports history.

3 more years, i dont think anyone wants to wait for that here.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
3 more years, i dont think anyone wants to wait for that here.

anyone except for Oilers' management.

its a process. we're building a program. code for: better get comfy, it's gonna be a long haul.

notice these buzz weren't around last year? they're trying to buy time and fan bye-in. They want us back on board for a longer rebuild.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
anyone except for Oilers' management.

its a process. we're building a program. code for: better get comfy, it's gonna be a long haul.

notice these buzz weren't around last year? they're trying to buy time and fan bye-in. They want us back on board for a longer rebuild.
Given the state of this team, I could support another five year plan. I don't see much choice here, it's going to take that long anyway before this team is competitive. What I can't support though is doing it with the OBC being involved in any way. I didn't believe in them in 2010 and I sure don't 5 seasons later. When people were saying back then that this team would be a cup contender in five years I was saying the rebuild wouldn't finish until five years after Lowe himself and all his influence was gone. I sure hope Katz doesn't waste another five years coming to this conclusion.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

Because they are massively incompetant and have had ZERO pressure form fans and media for years. Woul they like to win? Yup. Is it a big deal for the bosses if they don't until the new arena? Not really as long as lowe and mact are whiserping sweet nothings into fan boy katz's ears there is no big rush.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Given the state of this team, I could support another five year plan. I don't see much choice here, it's going to take that long anyway before this team is competitive. What I can't support though is doing it with the OBC being involved in any way. I didn't believe in them in 2010 and I sure don't 5 seasons later. When people were saying back then that this team would be a cup contender in five years I was saying the rebuild wouldn't finish until five years after Lowe himself and all his influence was gone. I sure hope Katz doesn't waste another five years coming to this conclusion.

Another 5 years? LOL If the oilers do not make the playoffs next year the whole thing should be burned to the ground. Totally and utterly, the whole org ditched.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Another 5 years? LOL If the oilers do not make the playoffs next year the whole thing should be burned to the ground. Totally and utterly, the whole org ditched.
Obviously this thing needs to be burned to the ground. It's become painfully clear that the 2010 plan hasn't worked. What isn't as obvious right now is if Katz is going to let the three stooges have yet another crack at a new rebuild or if he's finally going to try to do it right this time by bringing other people in here to do it. If he waits until he's in the new arena for a couple years before making these changes then we're probably looking at 15 years or longer without any playoffs.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Obviously this thing needs to be burned to the ground. It's become painfully clear that the 2010 plan hasn't worked. What isn't as obvious right now is if Katz is going to let the three stooges have yet another crack at a new rebuild or if he's finally going to try to do it right this time by bringing other people in here to do it. If he waits until he's in the new arena for a couple years before making these changes then we're probably looking at 15 years or longer without any playoffs.

lol, that's utterly depressing. They better hope they land McDavid this year then.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Either MacT fires Eakins tonight or in the morning, or he should quit Tuesday.

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton
Option 1: Get bent over on a trade
Option 2: Fire turd of a coach
Option 3: Keep turd of a coach until the end of the season draft top 5 (probably top 3)

Which one do you guys want?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Option 1: Get bent over on a trade
Option 2: Fire turd of a coach
Option 3: Keep turd of a coach until the end of the season draft top 5 (probably top 3)

Which one do you guys want?

Eakins is here until after Christmas no matter what I would think.

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
During the news conference, Lowe and MacTavish spoke about the challenges the team is facing.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable," Lowe said. "We need to get better immediately. That starts today."

"I'm an impatient guy and I bring that impatience to this situation," MacTavish said. "I think we're at the stage in terms of the cycle of our hockey club right now that we have to do some bold things... make no mistake, we're going to do bold things and competitive things to get us to a level where we're not only highly competitive but we're challenging to a win Stanley Cup."

Read more: http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/edmonton-oilers-fire-gm-steve-tambellini-craig-mactavish-takes-over-1.1238455#ixzz3JLPnfBdC

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
During the news conference, Lowe and MacTavish spoke about the challenges the team is facing.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable," Lowe said. "We need to get better immediately. That starts today."

"I'm an impatient guy and I bring that impatience to this situation," MacTavish said. "I think we're at the stage in terms of the cycle of our hockey club right now that we have to do some bold things... make no mistake, we're going to do bold things and competitive things to get us to a level where we're not only highly competitive but we're challenging to a win Stanley Cup."

Read more: http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/edmonton-oilers-fire-gm-steve-tambellini-craig-mactavish-takes-over-1.1238455#ixzz3JLPnfBdC

LOL! I read that first quote and I thought that was actually a new one thinking wow, Lowe is actually expressing his anger about how things are going? Then I read the rest and it all came back. This is over a year and a half old.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

they sure whistling a different tune today, huh. Process, program.

if status quo remains, they've basically writen off next year, too.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Couple of other issues I have with MacT is that he's overpaying 3/4th line forwards and 5/6 defensemen kind of like what Lowe used to do.
Secondly, we have a bunch of developing kids (Marincin, Klefbom, Draisalt) that aren't playing enough. That's on the GM, he needs to either tell Eakins to play them or send them to the AHL/CHL so they can get their minutes.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Couple of other issues I have with MacT is that he's overpaying 3/4th line forwards and 5/6 defensemen kind of like what Lowe used to do.
Secondly, we have a bunch of developing kids (Marincin, Klefbom, Draisalt) that aren't playing enough. That's on the GM, he needs to either tell Eakins to play them or send them to the AHL/CHL so they can get their minutes.
I've been posting on your first point since the summer time. The blue print Mactavish used to spend his money this off season was the same one the organization used after the cup run. Is Lowe still running things now or was Mactavish calling the shots back then too. For two guys who seem so different they seem to share the same brain.

It may make sense to overpay on bottom end players when your top end guys are already producing and are under contract. Our top end guys, while under contract, outside of Hall are all still trying to find themselves. You do this when you are searching for the final pieces for a cup run. When you're trying to get out of last place they just become boat anchors in a year or two. We saw how badly that strategy crashed and burned the last time they employed it.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010

To be fair you have to overpay to get someone to want to sign here.

If there is equal money at another city (literally any other one in the NHL) they will go there instead.

Edmonton is bottom of the list in terms of players actually wanting to play here.

stompinstoms

Sep 1, 2014
Vancouver
Devan Dubnyk outplayed Ben Scrivens for the win last night. Scrivens didn't play horribly, but Dubnyk was still better than him. He stole a game for the 'Yotes that the Oilers probably should have won.

I know it's only one game, but that scenario is mind-boggling. And it sums up MacTavish's tenure as GM so far.

TheSubbanator76

Oct 13, 2014
How have Oilers fans not revolted against the garbage management that has ran this once great franchise into the ground.. So pathetic, get these bums (MacT, Lowe) outta here and bring in some fresh blood.. Calgary is 2x ahead of you guys in their rebuild in 1/2 the time..

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
To be fair you have to overpay to get someone to want to sign here.

If there is equal money at another city (literally any other one in the NHL) they will go there instead.

Edmonton is bottom of the list in terms of players actually wanting to play here.

An article the other day stated that something like 57% of the Fa who sign do so to a place with a better tax rate. Pouliot saved a ton of money by playing here tax wise. The over payment angle is an excuse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad