Craig Button on Nylander "He's so much better than Taylor Hall, it's frightening"

LaymanX

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Hall has been a top 5 LW in this league for the past 5-6 years. My only concern is that his style of play doesn't lend itself to a long career.

We can reconvene when Nylander slips into the discussion of top 5 LWs in the league. For now, I think it's a bit premature as a Leafs fan.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
I think what separates Nylander from Hall is pure skill and hockey sense.

Last edited:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Hall has been a top 5 LW in this league for the past 5-6 years. My only concern is that his style of play doesn't lend itself to a long career.

We can reconvene when Nylander slips into the discussion of top 5 LWs in the league. For now, I think it's a bit premature as a Leafs fan.
Nylander is not a LW nor will he ever be, so I doubt he'll ever be top 5

Jul 10, 2003
KW
He has a good physique for his age, yes, but not a better physique/strength/physical play than most NHLers (my personal view).

If he continue like this, working hard during off-season and improving his strength, physical play and defensive awareness he should become a real star in the NHL (and I would love that to happen).

He is on the right way, yes, but let's not exaggerate, let's not get ahead of ourselves. I'm ****ing tired of Leafs fans posting half-naked pictures of William in a bathing suit trying to make a statement.

Sure you are :naughty:

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
Funny because Button was one of the main media guys saying that Nylander won't be a leaf in the near future.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

He was that pone year he scored 76 points, other than that, no he wasn't.

If he was, he would have been more valuable than a #2/#3 defenseman.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
It really is miraculous that with every great forward, defenseman, goalie, coach, and GM Toronto has that they only managed to squeak into the playoffs as an 8 seed and get knocked out immediately

Cool your jets bud.

Not a Toronto fan by any mean, but the fact that they got into the playoffs and put up a fight is a sign of good things to come.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He was that pone year he scored 76 points, other than that, no he wasn't.

If he was, he would have been more valuable than a #2/#3 defenseman.

Only Benn, Tarasenko, Kane and Palat have a higher 5v5 P/60 over the past four seasons among regular NHL wingers.

No wingers(and only four centers) have a higher 5v5 A/60 in that time too.

You don't think he's been at least a top 5 LWer?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Only Benn, Tarasenko, Kane and Palat have a higher 5v5 P/60 over the past four seasons among regular NHL wingers.

No wingers(and only four centers) have a higher 5v5 A/60 in that time too.

You don't think he's been at least a top 5 LWer?

No offense, but I don't see a reason to limit us to even strength if we're talking about how good someone is overall.

All situations P/60 over the last four seasons among wingers with 1000+ minutes played puts him at 17th, give or take a few with misattributed position.

He's a great player though, for sure. Just didn't like that argument.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
No offense, but I don't see a reason to limit us to even strength if we're talking about how good someone is overall.

All situations P/60 over the last four seasons among wingers with 1000+ minutes played puts him at 17th, give or take a few with misattributed position.

He's a great player though, for sure. Just didn't like that argument.

That's fair.

I just think it's a little unfair to fault him for the Oilers incredibly weak PP over those years where the coaches never even thought to feature him.

It looks like New Jersey's coaches actually figured that out since he was a force for them on the PP this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad