Craig Button on Nylander "He's so much better than Taylor Hall, it's frightening"

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Puberty hit this kid with a shovel.

0uFLoxk.jpg

Leafs fans drooling about these pics is a bit disturbing and embarrassing.

Lesson: Being ripped with a low procentage of body fat doesn't necessarily translate into a big strong mean dude. You want to look ripped like Nylander? Go for a diet a couple of months while still visiting the gym on a regular basis, more protein, less carbohydrates.

Nylander is looking fantastic on the ice, amazing but I still believe he can work on his strength, physical play and defensive awareness. Not a problem for SEL and European hockey but may be for the NHL.

A huge talent for sure, more than a talent because he is already on the verge of becoming a NHL star, after WC he is a big star in Sweden, that's for sure.

I wish Nylander and the Leafs all the best.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
NJ
In just his first full season in the league, Nylander has played with better players on his line than Hall ever did.

Oh, and Hall can score at ES.

This take is just a bit premature!

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Leafs fans drooling about these pics is a bit disturbing and embarrassing.

Lesson: Being ripped with a low procentage of body fat doesn't necessarily translate into a big strong mean dude. You want to look ripped like Nylander? Go for a diet a couple of months while still visiting the gym on a regular basis, more protein, less carbohydrates.

Nylander is looking fantastic on the ice, amazing but I still believe he can work on his strength, physical play and defensive awareness. Not a problem for SEL and European hockey but may be for the NHL.

A huge talent for sure, more than a talent because he is already on the verge of becoming a NHL star, after WC he is a big star in Sweden, that's for sure.

I wish Nylander and the Leafs all the best.

You think you can put on the amount of size he has by minimizing your carb intake? Yeah...no.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
You think you can put on the amount of size he has by minimizing your carb intake? Yeah...no.

No, sorry, I meant for making you look ripped with a very low procentage of body fat. In order to achieve this you usually eat strict, some kind of diet (high protein/low carb) a couple of months while you continue working out.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't see the big deal in Button's comments if one knows his style. I like his hot takes. Like any analyst I don't always agree 100% with them. But Button atleast is not afraid to give his take on things. If one really reviews his comments. It is not all that controversial. Taylor Hall's stock has fallen, for a 25 year old player he has a lot of miles and injuries on him. It's not the Taylor Hall of 20 anymore. Maybe he can be that player again if he stays healthy. But it's not like Craig said, Nylander is better than Patrick Kane that it is frightening. So I have no problem with his statement.

FuelTheJet

Oct 18, 2014
No, sorry, I meant for making you look ripped with a very low procentage of body fat. In order to achieve this you usually eat strict, some kind of diet (high protein/low carb) a couple of months while you continue working out.

That's a lot more progress than a couple months of working out and low carbs lol

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
That's a lot more progress than a couple months of working out and low carbs lol

He has been working hard and added some strength and muscles, yes (which is great and extremely important for a young player like William).

All I am trying to say (but obviously failing) is that you Leafs fans are exaggerating. Drooling about a ripped William and talking about him like the second coming of Schwarzenegger.

A ripped person with a very low body fat percentage many times look more muscular and stronger than a person not ripped but many times this isn't the whole truth.

FuelTheJet

Oct 18, 2014
He has been working hard and added some strength and muscles, yes (which is great and extremely important for a young player like William).

All I am trying to say (but obviously failing) is that you Leafs fans are exaggerating. Drooling about a ripped William and talking about him like the second coming of Schwarzenegger.

A ripped person with a very low body fat percentage many times look more muscular and stronger than a person not ripped but many times this isn't the whole truth.

I don't think anyone is arguing he should join IFBB...

What's your point here? That fat will hide muscles and less fat is better for showing muscles? I don't get why you had to comment that.

Pocket Hercules

Jun 19, 2008
York Region

Agreed. However, this wasn't the case with him as he definitely has packed more muscle onto his frame, and has a much better physique than most NHLers. He should be commended on his progress, which wasn't as easy to accomplish as you're making it out to be. Why is this considered taboo in this thread?

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Agreed. However, this wasn't the case with him as he definitely has packed more muscle onto his frame, and has a much better physique than most NHLers.

He has a good physique for his age, yes, but not a better physique/strength/physical play than most NHLers (my personal view).

If he continue like this, working hard during off-season and improving his strength, physical play and defensive awareness he should become a real star in the NHL (and I would love that to happen).

He is on the right way, yes, but let's not exaggerate, let's not get ahead of ourselves. I'm ****ing tired of Leafs fans posting half-naked pictures of William in a bathing suit trying to make a statement.

Last edited:

Pocket Hercules

Jun 19, 2008
York Region
He has a good physique for his age, yes, but not a better physique than most NHLers (my personal view).

If he continue like this, working hard during off-season and improving his strength, physical play and defensive awareness he should become a real star in the NHL (and I would love that to happen).

He is on the right way, yes, but let's not exaggerate, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I vehementely disagree with the bolded. Most NHLers DO NOT look like William Nylander. His leg development alone puts most players to shame. Name 5 players of similar height and weight that has a better physique than Willy? Keep in mind that this is his body in a relaxed state, not after a workout session where he would look more pumped that usual.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He has a good physique for his age, yes, but not a better physique/strength/physical play than most NHLers (my personal view).

He is on the right way, yes, but let's not exaggerate, let's not get ahead of ourselves. I'm ****ing tired of Leafs fans posting half-naked pictures of William in a bathing suit trying to make a statement.

I don't understand the fascination with William's physique either. He's listed at 190 lbs. Depending on the site one views he's listed at 5'11 or 6'0. Decent size, but considering the average NHL player is 6'1 200 lbs today. I am not sure why it is viewed as something as a positive? He's moving in the right direction for the size concerns when he was drafted at 169 if my memory is correct. Let's just leave it at that.

MeowLeafs

LM is awesome
Oct 20, 2008
Baconland

Irony...

Muggs

Oct 29, 2016
I don't understand the fascination with William's physique either.

people love muscles!

it shows that players are so so strong and dedicated to being the best!

its celebration of excellence!

unlike this 0 muscles blobfish, which is extremely friendly and BIG on personality once you get to know it, but really in desperate need of some gym work.

Blobfish-slime-carpet-surface.jpg.638x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

Pocket Hercules

Jun 19, 2008
York Region
I don't understand the fascination with William's physique either. He's listed at 190 lbs. Depending on the site one views he's listed at 5'11 or 6'0. Decent size, but considering the average NHL player is 6'1 200 lbs today. I am not sure why it is viewed as something as a positive? He's moving in the right direction for the size concerns when he was drafted at 169 if my memory is correct. Let's just leave it at that.

You do know that 200 lbs of pure muscle is not the same as 200 lbs of undefined muscle (avg NHL player)...? Which is more suited to withstand the rigors of a physical 82 game schedule? Which type of player would a coach take 10 times out of 10 if both skillsets (scoring, IQ etc) were the same? But keep spinning it that way if it makes you feel better.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
people love muscles!

it shows that players are so so strong and dedicated to being the best!

its celebration of excellence!

unlike this 0 muscles blobfish, which is extremely friendly and BIG on personality once you get to know it, but really in desperate need of some gym work.

Blobfish-slime-carpet-surface.jpg.638x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

I must be in the minority then. Since I find it creepy to discuss such things on a serious hockey site.

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
I must be in the minority then. Since I find it creepy to discuss such things on a serious hockey site.

It's legitimate, hockey is a sport after all, your body determines your strength, speed, stamina, etc.

Nylander's improvement in his physique has been extremely impressive and has made him a more effective NHL player.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
It's legitimate, hockey is a sport after all, your body determines your strength, speed, stamina, etc.

Nylander's improvement in his physique has been extremely impressive and has made him a more effective NHL player.

The logical thing to do would be to would be to comment on the player's strength, speed, stamina, etc.

rather than comparing shirtless photos and trying to extrapolate which player has better endurance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad