Craig Button on Nylander "He's so much better than Taylor Hall, it's frightening"

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
http://www.tsn.ca/video/button-the-only-way-the-leafs-should-trade-nylander-is-for-a-1-d-man~1130813

Now, I get the hype is strong with the MVP fresh in everyone's minds, but doesn't this feel a bit early? Now, Button is one of the few at TSN who usually critical of the leafs. For example, he didn't include Kapenen in the top 50 prospects, in fact I think it was him who suggested Nylander for Montour earlier this year.

So I am wondering, do you agree with this, has Nylanders recent play warranted this praise and do you agree with him?

For me personally, I want to see Nylander carry his own line before I make such a statement. FWIW Hall and Nylander scored at the same pace this year, but Hall carried his line.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Craig runs into problems when he starts getting way too absolutist (which plays well on Radio and creates discussion). This is another one of those cases.

I think Nylander is the smarter player and that could lead to him becoming a significantly better player than Hall without long stretches of erratic play. I don't think he's currently a significantly better player though. Hall can be frustrating, but the guy is great at driving offense and creating constant pressure. Nylander slows the game down more and has a better shot. Hall's offensive game is more scoring through brute force (generate a ton of chances) while Nylander picks his spots more.

I wouldn't trade Nylander for Hall due to a bunch of factors (primarily cap-based and years of control), which probably means I view him as the better asset, but I don't know if he's the significantly better player at this point in time.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
I think it's warranted. He's played really well at the AHL and NHL level in very little time since coming over from overseas.

As far as carrying his own line is concerned, he actually played better than Matthews for stretches and I have little doubt he could center a 2nd line.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Craig runs into problems when he starts getting way too absolutist (which plays well on Radio and creates discussion). This is another one of those cases.

I think Nylander is the smarter player and that could lead to him becoming a significantly better player than Hall without long stretches of erratic play. I don't think he's currently a significantly better player though. Hall can be frustrating, but the guy is great at driving offense and creating constant pressure. Nylander slows the game down more and has a better shot. Hall's offensive game is more scoring through brute force (generate a ton of chances) while Nylander picks his spots more.

I wouldn't trade Nylander for Hall due to a bunch of factors (primarily cap-based and years of control), which probably means I view him as the better asset, but I don't know if he's the significantly better player at this point in time.

Pretty much sums up the comparison right here.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
It really is miraculous that with every great forward, defenseman, goalie, coach, and GM Toronto has that they only managed to squeak into the playoffs as an 8 seed and get knocked out immediately

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Kid has a hot start on the PP and now he's better than a top 10 winger in the game, ok then Craig :rolleyes:

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
It really is miraculous that with every great forward, defenseman, goalie, coach, and GM Toronto has that they only managed to squeak into the playoffs as an 8 seed and get knocked out immediately

When we were supposed to be bottom of the barrel again. :yo:

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Nylander's great but it's a cheap shot at Hall - for Nylander to be 'so much better than Taylor Hall it's frightening' he'd have to become one of the top 5 forwards in the NHL.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Kid has a hot start on the PP and now he's better than a top 10 winger in the game, ok then Craig :rolleyes:

You know, as a top 10 winger in the game, Hall has never played for an Olympic team or anything.

I think Nylander is better, but not significantly.

Button wasn't really high on Nylander a lot of this season, I think he just finally got to see him and felt silly.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
You know, as a top 10 winger in the game, Hall has never played for an Olympic team or anything.

I think Nylander is better, but not significantly.

Button wasn't really high on Nylander a lot of this season, I think he just finally got to see him and felt silly.

Hall played on the IIHF team tho

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Nylander is the Swedish Wayne Gretzky :)

For those that do not know that was a line from Michael Nylander (about himself) to his then coach.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Wow congrats he played on canadas C team. Must be really proud.

Well isn't that why Nylander is getting praise atm. The real question is would Nylander and Mathews make the Olympic team if they were canadian I guess.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Are you really questioning a team that was at the bottom of the standings last year, are in the 2nd year of a new Head Coach, the 1st year of a new goalie, started something like 6 rookies, made the playoffs, and gave best regular season team in the NHL all they could handle in the playoffs?

Of all the times to pick to make a comment like you made, this particular one was about as off base as one could get.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Hot start?

Pre All star break: 46GP 10G, 31P; 16 ES points
Post All star break: 35GP 12G, 30P; 19 ES points

If anything, he had a stronger finish to the season driven by ES scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad