ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
you guys didn't know?

on the nights the leafs win, they are contenders

on the nights the leafs lose, they are not contenders

so for tonight.....they are contenders

Just to add to this conversation:

When the leafs win I feel like a winner.
When the leafs lose I feel like a loser.

;)

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I've held my tongue but Button is an ass. This statement would have more value to me if he said this before the season started but now when the Leafs are struggling early, with 3 key players out of the lineup and with Barrie still adjusting he is going to make the audacious prediction the Leafs are not Cup contenders?

It's laughable at best and pathetic attention-grabbing at its worst

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Hes a great example of.the biggest problem with most tv sports pundits -the hot take to generate clicks views is seemingly more important than any quality analysis

have to agree here 100%

Button is doing these so called hot takes and delivering them with a sense of outrage, which makes them seem profound, which they're decidedly not.

Anybody who actually watches Leafs games can tell you the exact same thing, it's not rocket science nor is it some deep reveal. Where I disagree with Button is laying all the blame at the feet of the coaching staff and in particular Babcock. This kind of nonsense seems to me to be an overarching theme with TSN, they for some reason are the first to lead the charge on the anti-coach sentiments. I see it as holding up a mirror to LeaFlanders almost to the point of parody. Flimsy reasoning coupled with the appropriate buzzwords to create a fire-storm of frenzy around the team.

The matter of fact is that the Leafs for some reason are disjointed, and far too often look lackadaisical with the puck and unsure of who's supposed to be where, it's like the spirit of Jake has clouded their thinking. Is this because of the many new faces in the line-up and a lack of familiarity with team-mates, there is certainly an argument that can be made for that. Anybody who has ever played the game and gone onto a new team understands that this transition is difficult, you not only have to pick your way through the mine-field of the dressing room but then adapt to the new system. The coach's do what they can to acclimate a new player to the system but most of that is left to the player's them-selves.

The players also know that no matter what, that once Buster and Derms are activated the team will again change, which leads to a certain nervousness and doubt which can quickly spread through the room, like it or not. Team chemistry is important, team confidence is more important still. Until the Leafs settle in, in the next 3 weeks if this kind of play continues then, you can start looking at the staff.

I know the record from last December on, but I would bet that there were more then a few guy's in that room that were resentful of Nylander's hold-out seeing it as abandoning what they're trying to do as a team, even a great dressing room can be upset with what can be perceived as a selfish act. This may have a lot to do with that record.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I know the record from last December on, but I would bet that there were more then a few guy's in that room that were resentful of Nylander's hold-out seeing it as abandoning what they're trying to do as a team, even a great dressing room can be upset with what can be perceived as a selfish act. This may have a lot to do with that record.
So basically, people disliked what Nylander did and it screwed with them so much that they stopped being able to perform?

Like I've said previously, it's time to blow up the team in that case. They'd be the most fragile things in all of professional sports.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
You want to trade Nylander for Hyman? Or hell, Johnsson also fits that description.

I disagree.. I think Marner should go for a top 4 RD and a middle 6 winger that plays a heavy game.. And hopefully we save some cap in the trade that can be used to fix the goaltending depth.

I think that outside of a coaching change, a major trade that shakes the locker room is all that can fix this team. However, first and foremost, we need to give them 25 games to show if this is just a bad start or a real issue, and then fire the coach first.

nope just Nylander:naughty:

for maybe a guy like Josh Manson

you pick up 2+m in cap space in that deal as well as really upgrade your D

Rielly - Ceci

Muzzin - Manson

Derms - Barrie - Holl

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
He's just jumping on the Chicken Little bandwagon because the Leafs have started out a bit ho-hum with their somewhat difficult schedule to start the season.

Leafs have been playing .500 hockey for almost a year (since Nylander's return). Haven't won 3 in a row for a long time. They do not stand out in a crowd. The RFAs aren't interested in winning. They've looted our cap money with not much left to make a team.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
@Kamiccolo Dude I respect you but you seriously gotta stop making so many damn leaf threads in the General Board.

Its getting mad annoying. It's already stupid as it is with every known hater so invested in the leafs and making threads of their own... but if you're gonna just go ahead and help them every time than it makes no sense.

Every leaf related thread always turns into a shit fest. I don't understand why you're just laying it down on a platter

Reactions: Stamkos4life

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
Such a great year to tank.

Can sell...

Barrie
Muzzin
Ceci
AJ
Kappy

Can promote...

Sandin
Lilj
Korshkov

Vet in trade.
Sell Barrie and Ceci (if you can), but Muzzin should be re-signed to a 4-5 year deal, he is our best D every game. AJ and Kappy are on good contracts, young players... makes no sense to trade them unless getting high value roster players in return, it can't be for picks as we are win-now mode. Liljegren needs another year to ripen... Sandin may or may not be ready by year end, Korshkov meh.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I've held my tongue but Button is an ass. This statement would have more value to me if he said this before the season started but now when the Leafs are struggling early, with 3 key players out of the lineup and with Barrie still adjusting he is going to make the audacious prediction the Leafs are not Cup contenders?

It's laughable at best and pathetic attention-grabbing at its worst

Audacious? It’s pretty much common thought among most hockey people that don’t wear blue and white glasses. Even a lot of those fans are little skeptical at this point.

It’s early and it doesn’t matter at this stage, but technically they hold a playoff spot now but the teams behind them hold between 2 and 5 games in hand. Not making the playoffs is a very real possibility, based on the past 76 games.

Reactions: lopey and biotk

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yup. Will Buffalo last? We'll know more by Christmas.

No reason they shouldn’t hang around.

I’ve already started looking at the standings and I think TB is the one team that will for sure make the playoffs that’s currently on the outside. It’ll be interesting to see hpw the Atlantic shakes out. Will buff or fl join boston and Tampa in the top 3 I don’t see Montreal or the leafs getting one of those spots.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
No reason they shouldn’t hang around.

I’ve already started looking at the standings and I think TB is the one team that will for sure make the playoffs that’s currently on the outside. It’ll be interesting to see hpw the Atlantic shakes out. Will buff or fl join boston and Tampa in the top 3 I don’t see Montreal or the leafs getting one of those spots.
That's the nice thing about having such a fast start. It gets to the point where you only need to play .500 hockey and you'll make the playoffs.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Audacious? It’s pretty much common thought among most hockey people that don’t wear blue and white glasses. Even a lot of those fans are little skeptical at this point.

It’s early and it doesn’t matter at this stage, but technically they hold a playoff spot now but the teams behind them hold between 2 and 5 games in hand. Not making the playoffs is a very real possibility, based on the past 76 games.

He's had ample time to say something but only made this statement when Toronto is struggling. Button and his "predictions" are a joke

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Taxes is just a convenient excuse to downplay smart teams who actually use leverage. Tampa signs their players for good value because they choose not to give in to high demands of players. You think Kucherov is sitting there saying “give me less gross salary because Florida taxes are better”? No. If Tampa was weak enough to give Kucherov $13 million, he would’ve taken it.

Toronto doesn’t use their leverage over the unreasonable demands of their players. Think Marner ever would’ve left Toronto on his own accord? No. Playing for the Leafs brand, endorsement money, the “value” of being a hometown hero... that’s all leverage the Leafs failed to use, and on a RFA no less.
This is why I'm glad Yzerman is our GM.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He's had ample time to say something but only made this statement when Toronto is struggling. Button and his "predictions" are a joke

Like most people he’s been saying it for awhile. Is there anyone that considered the Leafs a legit cup contender?

You’re right he probably doesn’t need to say anything. Let the record speak for itself.....76 games and under 500- 15 and 33 (that’s the worst stat) winning percentage is 9th in the east and close to a lottery team overall ...

pretty hard argue against that POV right now.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Like most people he’s been saying it for awhile. Is there anyone that considered the Leafs a legit cup contender?

You’re right he probably doesn’t need to say anything. Let the record speak for itself.....76 games and under 500- 15 and 33 (that’s the worst stat) winning percentage is 9th in the east and close to a lottery team overall ...

pretty hard argue against that POV right now.
Let’s see many of us have been concerned about paying 4 forwards for a while.

Many of us have been concerned about our level of play going back to last year.

Many of us have been concerned about the lack of forecheck/physical/aggressive play for sometime.

Then the D and backup goalie and coach...hell, whole bunch of concerns from us right here without a Button hot take. Hot take or slow smouldering burn take nobody wants to admit it anyway. Might as well be a hot take.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad